Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Default Reaction to meclizine HCI?

We are going on a cruise next month and I am trying to decide what to take along for sea sickness just in case we will need it. My question is-is meclizine and compazine related drugs? My daughter was prescribed compazine during a pout with the stomach flu and had a bad reaction to it. I didn't know since meclizine is used to calm stomachs and ends in "zine" if it would have the same effect on her. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2001, 06:52 AM
John Burns, RPh

Default Re: Reaction to meclizine HCI?

This is a wise question to ask. Bonine is used to prevent vestibular (inner ear) disturbances caused by motion sensations (not settle stomaches), while Compazine is used to treat nausea and vomitting. They are similarly structured medications, and you may wish to discuus your options with a physician before your cruise. Dramamine is also in this class of drugs.

I hope this helps you and your fammily! Happy Cruising!

John Burns, RPh
Old July 2nd, 2001, 07:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

So, if you're prone to that "yucky" feeling - but don't throw up - when you see 3D movies, read in the car, get out in the waves deep sea fishing, etc. what would you recommend on a cruise. I "heard" you can go on board to the nurse's station and get a shot. please advise.
Old July 7th, 2001, 02:38 PM
John Burns, RPh

You can, butit will cost you some cash to do so. Usually, "the shot" referred to is the product Compazine. I would try the follwoing interventions:

1. Stay out on open deck as much as possible, and if need be, cast your eye on the distant horizon.

2. Give ginger products a stab. You can take 2 ginger caps three times a day, and augment this by sipping gingerale and sucking on ginger candy. You can find ginger products at a health food store or a homeopathic pharmacy.

3. SeaBands...products deigned on the premise that accupressure may help.

I also really enjoy peppermint or wintergreen candies when I have a roiling stomache, but don't feel like I have to vomit.

I hope that you find something that works for you!

Happy cruising!

John Burns, RPh