Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2001, 06:38 PM
Yeoman

Default Been sick since my cruise in March!!

Hello...I have been having many symptoms since my cruise to the Caribbean in March. I was fine up until about 1 month after the cruise when I woke up and notice my face was "red" or "flushed" looking. It kinda looked like a sunburn but is not. No acne breakouts and the redness is not bright and is not raised. At the same time I noticed just a general "sick" feeling. I felt tired, lightheaded and weak. No fever really...nausea but no vomiting. Stomach/Ab pain..and a dull ache in my chest/ab area. I saw the doctor the day the red face started and he said he didnt really know what it was and said he could barely see it. Then I started a wierd headache in the back right side of my head..that is aggrevated by hard movement. I have had heart palpitations, an increased heart rate and just a couple of weeks ago I got a urinary tract infection. Just after that now I have been feeling increasingly weak...tired all the time..and some muscle aches in my back, my wrists, fingers, feet and legs. I have had many tests: EKG, MRI..and many bloodworks and nothing has showed up. However, I dont know what they are looking for in the bloodwork and if parasites would show up if they werent looking for that. I did eat on several islands: Cozumel (Mexico), Jamaica, Aurba, and Curaquo. I also got bit by some bug on my ankle. I didnt feel sick after that and I didnt notice any "bulls-eye" rash..but it did hurt and there were some raised dots by it. I also went scuba diving (1st time) and sat next to a very sick woman on the plane back (she looked half-dead) The muscle pain and fatigue (weakness) are getting worse. No doctor seems to be able to find anything. Does anyone out there have any idea what might be wrong with me..is there some disease I could have caught on my cruise?? Please let me know!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2001, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Been sick since my cruise in March!!

Menopause?
Old July 2nd, 2001, 08:07 PM
Yeoman

no...Im 28 years old... but thanks!
Old July 4th, 2001, 12:07 PM
bostongal

Michelle - are you seeing am immunologist because your symptoms sound like they are from the immune system response and there are many different disorders that can cause your symptoms. I know because I am disabled from one of them. Stick with the blood work - it took my doctor about a year to diagnose my problem and get me on a treatment program. In the meantime, get plenty of rest, drink water, do moderate exercise every day for your muscles (I find Yoga to be very beneficial) and modify your diet to rid your self of any dyes, additives or artificial ingredients (like aspartame). This will enable your body to focus on whatever is making you not feel well and heal. As for Lyme disease, the rash associated with that is prevalent and you wouldn't have missed it - I believe it is predominently found in the Northeast of the U.S and the Mountain regions of the U.S. Hope you get better soon.

bostongal
Old July 7th, 2001, 02:51 PM
John Burns, RPh

One real problem with today's travel is how you may be unwittingly exposed to many bacteria and viruses. From the description of your sympotoms, I'm wondering if you might be infected with Epstein-Barr virus, or something simila, which is the major cause of chronic fatigue syndrome. Mononucleosis or Legionnaire's Disease are other possibilities. All of these can be transmitted through distribution in the air handling systems of planes and ship (viruses are too small to be filtered out through convential and microfiltration systems), or by the close proximity of disease vectors. As you were told by another respondent, see an immunologist, and get whatever blood tests that need to be done.

I hope that you feel better and get answers soon!

John Burns, RPh