Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2001, 09:03 PM
Len

Default Sea Sickness...Advise

I am NOT prone to motion sickness. I fly often and amusement rides don't tend to bother me. I am taking my first "real" cruise next month and don't want to get sea sick! Should I consider taking an over the counter product like Bonine or something in the event I may feel sick? I did take a one day cruise once from Florida to the Bahamas and felt a bit dizzy and strange the first hour out at sea, but seemed to pass as quick as it came on? I just don't want to spoil a vacation I am looking forward to by being sick, but don't want to feel "drugged up" either! Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:59 AM
bostongal

Default Re: Sea Sickness...Advise

Since you are not prone to motion sickness like I am - I can't even go to an IMAX movie without that awful dizzy, sick feeling - then I think that you can play it by ear (no pun intended). I would buy a small amount of Bonine and then see if in fact you even need it. It won't make you sleepy or drugged. My guess is that you won't even need to take it. Enjoy your cruise.

Bostongal
Old July 7th, 2001, 02:55 PM
John Burns, RPh

Bostongal speaks well!! In addition to what she told you, let me add that if you are worried, talk one-half a Bonine tablet once a day, and you are not likely to experience sea-sickness or that dreaded "drugged-up feeling". But, remember to start therapy at least two hours BEFORE you board ship...Bonine is a prevention, not a remedy.

Happy first cruise to you, Len!

John Burns, RPh
Old July 9th, 2001, 02:32 PM
rjack22

I asked my doctor for a prescription for Scopace. As I understand it, this medicine uses the same drug as the patch but its an oral. Dosage is one or two 4mg tablets every 8 hours.

Over the weekend I decided to take one and see what side effects, if any I had. I was glad I did. In the past I have used Bonine and never had any side-effects. Well, I did notice two side effects. First it made me a little bit light-headed starting an hour after I took it and lasting about two hours. Then the next 5 hours I was fine as far as the dizziness went. I also had dry-mouth which I can live with.

So I think I will stick with the Bonine and only use the Scopace if the Bonine doesn't handle it. I have always only taken one Bonine once a day. I notice that on the box it says take one or two tablets once a day. Would it be better to take one in the morning and one in the evening as a previous poster does? Or two at once?

rjack22
Jubille 08/11/01
Old July 17th, 2001, 08:57 PM
John Burns, RPh

Yes the side effects that you report with the Scopace are common to those of the patch.

As far as Bonine, if you are going to take 2 tablets a day, I would probably take them as one tablet every 12 hours. However, I have taken one tablet once a day...even half-a-tablet once a day, and have done fine!

Hope this answers your question! Happy cruising!

John Burns, RPh
Old August 17th, 2001, 02:52 PM
shortstuf

I am very prone to seasickness- I take the dramamine - "less drowsy" formula. It did not effect me except when I had alcohol.

I suggest seeing how you fare on the first few days and if you are not doing so well, take it at the first port. (It always works for me.) Dramamine cost only about $5 per container and you take one every 24 hours.

In addition, if you want to drink, try the travel-eeze wrist bands. They work on a theory of accupressure and are often used by pregnant women to ease morning sickness. I have used them often with great success. I am not into holistic medicine and did not take them seriously at first -- but on one occasion I was desparate and they did relieve the symptoms.

Anyway -- better to bring everything -- even cold medicine -- then find you need it and don't have it and need to pay through the nose to get it.
Old August 27th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Helmut

go to
www.travelband.com
you will find a perfect soliution, totally reusable and very reasonably priced
Old September 28th, 2001, 08:43 PM
First Mate

Are you in any way connected to this company?