Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2001, 10:37 PM
Passenger

Default Patches-side effects

We are taking our third cruise next week. The first time we used the patches and had no problems that I remembered. When we took our second cruise we decided to go with the patches again. Our Pharmacist told us the patches had come off the market for a short time but were now back on. The side effects were terrible. Extreme dry mouth,blurred vision,etc. I don't remember it being like that the first time. So my question is-what now? I don't want to be sleepy but I do want to be prepared. I don't know if I'll get seasick because we had the patches both times. Any recommendations? Everyone says the dramine makes you tired. What about kids-mine are 10 and 12? Should we give them something, they seem pretty resilent on rides and motion things. Thanks for any input..
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:56 AM
bostongal

Default Re: Patches-side effects

I had a horrible reaction to the patch as well - dry mouth, foggy headed and this black rim around the patch that was downright frightening! I can recommend using Bonine and starting it 2-3 days before you leave home. I took one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. and it worked really well for me (we came home ahead of a hurricane and I had minimal problems). As for kids, my 12 year old took 1/2 a dose whenever she felt quesy (which was once the entire cruise & was during the rocking and rolling).

Bostongal
Old July 7th, 2001, 03:01 PM
John Burns, RPh

Default Re: Patches-side effects

Pretty sound advice from bostongal, with one exception: Bonine is not recommended for use in kids under 12. Does this mean she did something terrible? No, probably not. It is more likely that the original producer of Bonine just didn't funnel effort into developing a recommendation for kids (it takes a lot more that just for adults). Dramamine dose have pediatric dosage forms, and kids seem to be pretty oblivious to the drowsiness...in fact, I can think of when that might be a REAL benefit with my precocious five-year old son!!!...Your local pharmacist should be able to show you what products and doses are available for kids!

Happy cruising!

John Burns, RPh