Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2001, 09:56 PM
poocher

Default Son's ailment

My son has epilepsy controlled by medication. Should I inform the ships medical staff of his condition? prior to sailing? once on board? what happens if his medication is "lost at sea" for whatever reason? If I tell them what med, can they have an emergency supply available?

Thanks for your advise,

Pooch
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2001, 03:29 PM
tomc

Default Re: Son's ailment

Gee... I should have read your post before making mine!

I have epilepsy and do not tell the ship's staff. I am also fairly well-controlled on medication. There was a posting on some board by a person who did tell and it just caused a lot of problems. I advise against telling them. As you know, people go spastic when they find out someone around them has epilepsy ... as if it's catching, or something.

The less said, the better. I do wear a medical bracelet, but so do lots of people (on HAL, it's the jewelry of choice!), so there is no problem.

I generally keep two containers with the meds, in case one "goes overboard," or something. Things like Dilantin, Tegretol, etc, are very common and probably available in the medical department. I take Lamictal, which is not and I wondered if the pharmacy happens to stock it.

My pharmacist (referred to among friends as "my drug dealer") lets me have an extra hit, just in case.

Also, if you are flying, keep the meds on your person, not in your carry-on. If something happens and you have to go down the chute, you don't bring anything with you. I want my "best friends" to be in my pocket when I get to the bottom.poocher wrote:
>
> My son has epilepsy controlled by medication. Should I
> inform the ships medical staff of his condition? prior to
> sailing? once on board? what happens if his medication is
> "lost at sea" for whatever reason? If I tell them what med,
> can they have an emergency supply available?
>
> Thanks for your advise,
>
> Pooch
Old August 22nd, 2001, 05:00 PM
LabeYoung

I wouldn't bet that the ships' pharmacy would have Lamictal but if worse came to worse I am sure you could pick some up at a port. My son has Crohn's disease and we like you are careful to pack extra meds just in case. I have transferred prescriptions from my store to other places (including the carribean) for emergencies as such. Good Luck. Labe Young, RPH
(not the cruisemates RPH but another cruising fool!)
Old October 1st, 2003, 05:19 PM
millertime

I also have seizures and have been on 5 cruises with no problems at all. I have not felt the need to tell the cruise line about my condition. I wear a med alert band and of course my husband is with me and knows what to do if something was to happen. I feel if you tell them they might really restrict you because people who do not know about seizures seem to think they are this horrible thing and you might get treated like a lepor.

Kim