Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Drugs can be seized???

Good Day
I was wondering what the rules/ regulations are regarding carrying perscription drugs on board. I have MS, and Fibermyalgia, and require many different meds.
I've heard that unless you can present receipts for these drugs they could be seized. Is this true?
Thxs,
Lee
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2001, 09:02 AM
tomc

Default Re: Drugs can be seized???

If you have an original prescription from your physician, that will take care of you. Next best thing is to keep them in their original containers.

Will a drug-sniffing dog pick them out? I carry Lamictal for seizures and the dogs leave me alone.

On the bad side, there are occasionally cases where U.S. police will seize someone's epilepsy meds, when they get picked up for something (real or seizure-related) and not let the person take them. It's blatant stupidity, but you're still stuck in a life-threatening situation.

What you might do is post this to the other boards and see if someone has any information or experience with it.
Old August 25th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Labe Young

Although I have never been searched, I have always understood to have all medicines in their proper container; this is a law that police use a lot in the US to apprehend people with illegal drugs in their possession. I have always recommended for people travelling in foreign countries, to not only have the US brand name on your container, but to also have the generic name. Many US brands have different names in Europe, et.al.
Actually, the only aggressive customs I have been through has been the US. I would imagine that your demeanor would preclude a search. My son is 17 and he was searched in Bermuda; sometimes you just look the part and a teenager's attitude can do you in too.
Sometimes, people can be mislead by the symptoms of your disease. They may think that you may be "drunk" instead of having difficulty walking because of a flareup with the MS. If it were me, I would also carry a signed statement from your physcian and keep in my wallet.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you to tomc and Labe Young for the very helpful advice, it's much appreciated
Kind Regards,
Lee
Old September 4th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

My DH is a pharmacist and always carries our meds in the original containers. We have been overseas and in the Caribbean many many times and have never once been questioned by customs either going or coming.
Old September 4th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Elaine!
Lee
Old September 9th, 2001, 07:22 PM
JSCruiser

My friend took pain medicine with her on a Caribbean cruise she went on a few weeks after a surgery. When she packed up the last night, she put her pain pills in one of her checked bags and put it out in the hall the night before they left the ship. The next morning, she was taken aside when she went to retrieve her bag and was made to open her bag. A dog had picked out her bag because of the pain medicine. The medication was in its original container from her pharmacy. She was asked a few questions and then sent on her way. I think if you keep all of your medications in the original container, you should not have any problems. The extra amount of luggage space taken up by the bottles is a small price to pay in the event your bags are searched. My friend had no idea how she could have reached her surgeon on a Sunday morning when she was 1000 miles from home if she would have needed him to verify the presrciption was valid.
Old July 28th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Kenny C.A.

Default Re: Re: Drugs can be seized???

I only take enough drugs to last me for the time of the trip. I also have several doctors letters stating my medical problems.

I have learned to never ever put anything important or irreplacable like photos in checked luggage.
Old February 11th, 2003, 10:09 AM
First Mate

I also carry a lot of prescriptions with me when I cruise. I take about 6 pills a day and my husband does also. We've been on 27 cruises and I've always had my pills in the original bottles but I've never had any receipts with me, and I've never needed them. I might add, we've never been to Europe on a cruise, it might be different there. We've been on a lot of Hawaii, Panama Canal and Caribbean cruises......
Old February 17th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Keep the medications, even the OTC (over the counter) meds in their original containers, and put them in your purse of carry-on. You will not have a problem that way (and I don't consider being stopped and questioned a problem...they are doing their job!)

Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:22 PM
TexasRick

I have a chronic illness and take 9 different meds a day (31 pills total)....I have to put meds in a weekly pill box to keep them straight.........will it be ok to take meds in pill box on cruise?
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:19 PM
Andee

I wouldn't recommend travelling with the pills in the weekly pill box.

I'd suggest carrying the meds in their original containers, and setting up the weekly box when you get to your cabin.
Old October 7th, 2003, 04:10 PM
First Mate

Keep your meds in the original containers !!! I have a friend in airport security and as long as the meds are in original containers you will have NO problems. If you use a weekly pill box - bring it along empty and fill it once you are on the cruise.
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh, one other thing.......be sure to have your meds in your carry on. My mother mistakenly put hers in her checked bags, and somewhere, between putting them outside of our cabin the last night, and getting home, they disappeared!!! She said she wasn't worried because they weren't narcotics, and she didn't think anyone would bother them...........................but they did!
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:02 PM
tomc

I keep mine on my person, not in my carry-on. That way, they don't get away from me. Especially on that one-in-a-million chance that I have to go down the escape chute.
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Juliet

This may be slightly off topic, but they have drug sniffing dogs inspecting luggage on cruises?? I didn't fly until about a year after 9/11 and was shocked at how little security there was, and I fly out of DC and Balt. Not that drug sniffing dogs are for terrorist, but I'm surprised to hear the cruise lines to all that. Is that for real?
Thanks, just curious
Juliet
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:08 PM
MrMarkD

I am getting ready to go on the Eastern Caribbean - have fibromyalia - take 5 daily pills, pain med. as well as tylenol and advil. After reading all of the above I sure don't want them taken from me. If I carry them in my carry on (and I guess original bottles) I should be okay?
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Mark: You will be fine. Take a few bottles of each, one "set" in your carry-on and one "set" on your person. That way if you should lose one set, you'll still have more. I don't mean "lose" by someone taking them, but once I dropped a little tote bag into the ocean while getting from the tender to the dock. That taught me to carry extras.

Bon Voyage!
Old January 11th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Sari

A few years ago I was on a Princess cruise and was so glad that I had a few extra days of medicine with me. We got an 8th day & night free on the ship as the weather was too rough to leave St. Thomas. TAKE A FEW EXTRA DAYS o f meds...JUST IN CASE!!!!!
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Admiral

I agree with Sari, especially in these uncertain times, you never know what is going to happen, so it's always a good idea to bring some extra meds w/you. My husband & I were stuck in Albequerque last October during the Southern California fires, and he only had enough for the time we had planned to be gone. The Southwest Airlines employees were SO kind and sincerely caring, they even found a pharmacy for us for him to get his meds refilled there, but unfortunately, being a Sunday, they had closed early that day.

SO you never know....nice to have one less thing to worry about if you are delayed getting home....he always carries extra now...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas