Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2001, 01:18 AM
RollerDoc

Default On-board Diarhea

A few months ago, my wife and I took a cruise to Mexico. Everything was fine until after eating a couple of beany type meals on the mainland. While we all get diarhea every now and then, Mexican diarhea takes the cake. My butt exploded worse than the streets of Beirut. My question is why aren't the cruise ship medical areas better equipped to handle people who suffer from the same consequenses as myself? Immodium (Extra Strength) didn't make a dent. I paid $2100 for the cruise and all the doctor on board told me to do was to drink Schwepps Ginger Ale. Gee thanks Doc! Needless to say my trip was ruined and so were several pair of underwear. Can anyone offer me some advice?

RollerDoc
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Captain

Default Re: On-board Diarhea

While in Mexico, after eating the bean type meals, I would have headed to the nearest Pharacy and purchased Lomotil....very effective for Montazuma's Revenge. It is purchased over the counter in Mexico, but requires a Rx in the states. Cost is approximately $2.50....a good investment!
Old September 27th, 2001, 05:10 PM
James Melton

dont get off the ship
Old August 4th, 2002, 06:57 AM
hppypaul

Default Re: Re: On-board Diarhea

Get off the ship, but certainly don't eat beany type meals in mexico, or anything else for that matter. All the great and safe food on the ship is plenty for me, and already paid for.
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:46 PM
beenthere

Default Re: Re: Re: On-board Diarhea

Diarrhea is your body's way of getting rid of something nasty. Actually, this is a good thing. If you have ingested a some icky bacteria, you do not want to stop your body from getting rid of it. Medical professionals will not necessarily want to stop diarrhea without a good understanding of what is causing it.

The usual first approach is resting the gut for 24 hours and replace lost fluids. What does resting the gut mean? Clear liquids only for 24 hours. Ginger ale is a good recommendation. Some experienced travel guides will say water or Coca Cola. Coke, weird as it seems, has many necessary electrolytes like sodium and potassium and regular Coke has sugar as well. Another plus is you can find Coke just about anywhere on the planet these days too. So, order up a couple of Cokes, take some Pepto-Bismol and wait it out. Yes, you will have to pass up on all the greasy fatty cruise foods as well as the alcohol. You can do it - it is only for 24 hours.

If diarrhea persists beyond 24 hours, then consider Imodium or Lomotil. This cruise doctor did exactly what he/she was supposed to do.

Another part of the adventure...
beenthere
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Kareen

A couple of years ago on the Ecstasy I ordered the Seafood dish in red sauce that consisted of scallops, shrimp, and lobster on the first night and paid for it the next morning. I was sick the next morning-diarrhea and vomiting. I was able to purchase some Imodium from the ship's nurse and was told that a virus was going around the ship. In my group of 35 I was the only person to get sick. My mom suspects that it was food poisoning, because the ship probably served the left over from the night before. No one else in my group ordered the dish. I've been on three cruises since that time and each time on the first night the same entree is on the menu and to this day I won't eat anything with a red sauce unless I or my mom prepare the meal. Also, on the Victory this past December I told our waiter that I could go for another lobster and was told that they use the left over lobster in the Seafood entree. Good thing I had been to the Bahamas too many times because I found a bench on the main street and sat there until my mom finished shopping. I didn't feel better until that Sunday evening.
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:42 PM
First Mate

Before docking in Mexico, a wise cruise director advised us to enjoy the sights, shops, and beaches. To avoid tummy problems, return to the ship for meals.
Old August 7th, 2003, 03:25 PM
CruiseCactus

Default Re: Re: On-board Diarhea

Sampling the local cuisine is part the travel experience. While I enjoy the food on the ship it is hardly "native". I know my body and try to avoid things I know will effect my stomach, however it's really just about always a crap shoot. You could eat something at home that may make you sick. I just bring a couple of "tummy aids" with me and hope for the best. I've only gotten sick while traveling once about 20 years ago so I guess I'm lucky.
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Admiral

Oh boy... I have IBS which in itself is NO FUN !! I get to the point where day after day I hate to eat with the fear of visiting the throne... on several recent road trips lately I thought I wouldnt make it from A to B ! Im very worried about cruising with this problem, but everyone assures me there are lots of restrooms onboard & @ the beach ! I would love to eat a nice T-Bone... forget it... it will tear me up... I will be the one pouting as everyone else tries all the good looking food (( NO FAIR !! I take 3 prescriptions for this DAILY and an occasional phenegran if needed and am a stock holder in IMODIUM.... ...

Happy Sails,
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Passenger

I've been on two cruises and had stomach problems both times - I chalked it up to eating more and richer foods than I do at home. For my next cruise I'm going to be very careful and eat light - I don't care how good the food is its not worth spending an afternoon in your stateroom's bathroom!!!
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Nyla

I get a prescription for an antibiotic like amoxicillin to take for one week before I go on a cruise. I also to get a prescription for lomotil to take with me on the ship. This works for me.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Gold locks

Has anyone ever had Diarhea that is black not blood however? Curious.
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Jacqui

Goldlocks- black is stool IS blood, it's called occult bleeding. If you have this, I suggest going to your dr. as soon as possible. I have Crohn's Disease, so when it comes to GI problems, I may as well have my medical degree.
Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Jane Marlow

Pepto Bismol can give you black stool as well.
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Donalee

I get diarrhea from motion sickness. Believe it or not I find that the best theraphy for me is metamucil. It normally takes more than one dose and requires at least 12 hours to become effective. I take zantac 2 hours after the metamucil.
Old November 14th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Admiral

Just wanted to say I like your screen name RollerDoc!

rollerdonna

Old November 15th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Admiral

I cant believe the sh"t people are posting here (pun intended), are you guys really serious? IS this supposed to be a conversational point,,,,,,dear oh dear
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Admiral

This topic is definately a "bummer" (pun most definately intended) TTFN Jennifer
Old November 17th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Black stool can also be caused by taking an iron supplement. But it is best to get it checked out.....very easy to do.

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM
MSCRUISE

sick.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Passenger

Take it as a lesson learned, sir. I never eat any food off the ship if I'm sailing the Caribbean. It's just too unpredictable ...

Old May 21st, 2005, 12:36 AM
Passenger

I am officialy wierded out