Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2001, 06:46 PM
LynnR

Default Seasickness

I would like to know from the "experts" whether there is any difference going boating on the ocean seas and going houseboating on a lake. Reason being that I plan to experience my first houseboat trip (on Lake Mead) this weekend with my husband and his family. It would be somewhat embarrassing for me to turn green in front of them. I have gone out on an entertainment type of boat which takes you just a couple of miles from shore and that was a "bad" experience. It was in the ocean but the day was nice and sunny and the ocean was smooth as glass. Give me good news pleeeease and tell me that houseboating is going to be "no problem". Oh, by the way, I did buy garlic tablets. Do you still suggest that I take an extra-precautionary measure and take Bonine too (1/2 dosage)? Thank You and Aloha!!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Seasickness

Lynn - be safe and take the dose of bonine - that way you don't have to worry about whether or not you will be sick.
Old September 12th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Admiral

If I remember my geography pretty well, Lake Mead is very large and can have waves. Besides the Bonine, why not buy SeaBands. They are very inexpensive $5 at Walmart or Walgreens, etc. and contain no drugs. At least you would have peace of mind and be prepared to enjoy a wonderful weekend with family.
Bon Voyage
Old September 12th, 2001, 01:48 PM
LynnR

Thank you to you both...Nanatravel and Laura...for your expedient replies. I did purchase Bonine; at $3.99 it's a cheap price to pay for a little peace of mind. I will also go pick up the seabands today. It's my first wedding anniversary cruise (my husband lives in California and I live in Hawaii) so I really don't want anything to screw up our romantic plans. A gal at work mentioned that maybe I get seasick cause I can't swim (yeah, I live in the middle of the ocean and can't swim...pathetic huh!). I guess it's a possibility but then again, I'm afraid of flying but don't get airsick. Anyways, thanks for listening to my ramblings. Have a great day!!! Mahalo and Aloha....Lynn