Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2001, 06:01 PM
First Mate

Default Getting a sinus infection after flying

It never fails, either myself or my wife get a sinus infection (headache, clogged nose, fever...) a few days after flying.

Then we end up calling our doctor at home for a perscription he can phone to where ever we are.

This can be expensive.

Anyway to prevent this?
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Getting a sinus infection after flying

Me too Mike, I take an antihistime before flying and wear EarPlanes to help with fluid build up in the ears. I also have been using a Saline Solution Nasal spray this Fall which seems to help eradicate the sinuses. I am bringing it along this time with me. My first aid kit contains every thinkable "cold medicine" I can buy over the counter. The ship's doctor will perscribe the "Z pack" if your infection get bad enough, so don't hesitate to visit the doctor rather than suffer. They say its the airplane air, but I find that hard to believe after my last cruise and so may people really got sick.
Bon Voyage
Old November 6th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Hi - I had posed the question before but no answer - what are EarPlanes - what do they do and where to you get them? thanks
Old January 5th, 2002, 12:44 AM
alice

hi there, some pre flight prevention can be finding an alternative health therapist that does ear candling to open up your sinues prior to flying, some spas, beauty salons might also offer it. Also a chiropractor can adjust your ears to open up the drums and allow better flow thru the sinus and tube cavities. A decongestant helps too. Another thing to try is a facial steaming the week before, but just before boiling water in a bowl, get some tea tree oil, and eucalyptus(cant spell it sorry) put a drop of each in and keeping eyes close grab a towel and breath it in, this will help drain any infections snot(for lack of better word) out of the sinus cavities. Please use any essential oils with care, and dont ear candle yourself if you dont know how(some health store carry them) or if ear get warm remove.
Old September 24th, 2002, 08:46 PM
TipsEveryone!

Rather than an antihistamine (which can be very drying to the sinuses) try a decongestant like Sudafed 1/2 hour before take-off. You can also take Afrin the night before, the morning of your flight, and later that night. You can use a Nasal saline atomizer as much as you want to for hydrating the sinuses,. and take a long, hot shower on the same schedule as the Afrin.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Getting a sinus infection after flying

Earplanes are special earplugs that have something in them to help with pressure when you fly. They usually are available in drug stores and grocery stores for about $3.50 a pair (I think). We have used them for a couple of trips now and find that they really do help. I know that if you can't find them locally, you can get them on the FamilyMeds website. Good Luck!
Old March 15th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Getting a sinus infection after flying

Earplanes really help me. We fly in a small unpressurized airplane and with earplanes, I rarely have problems.

When flying commerically -- I take Sudafed prior to flight and take a saline nasal spray. I also take Echinacea just prior to flight and just as I step off the plane.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Ear planes are available at Walgreens, Costco, Walmart, Target, Kmart, et. Run about $5 a pair. They do work.

As for prevention, I take Vitamin C daily; I also take Sudafed before flying, the normal saline nasal spray to keep the nasal mucosa moist really helps (when they dry out is when the bugs are able to get up to the sinuses) - avoid Afrin if you have any blood pressure or heart problems (can cause your heart rate or BP to rise.)