Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2002, 01:03 AM
alice

Default first timer-seasickness

Hi there ive never cruised before and dont think i have motion problems how do i know if i need to prevent?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: first timer-seasickness

Hi Alice,
I always pack some Bonnine, you can pick it up at your local pharmacy. So far, so good, haven't had to use it, but I bet if I didn't have it, I'd probibaly need it.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 11th, 2003, 11:37 AM
First Mate

My first cruise I bought the patch but didn't need to wear it. Everyone is different though. I'm one of those types who get sick from whatevers in the air and I thought for sure I would get seasick, but much to my husbands' dispair, cruising agrees with me and we've been on almost 30 now.....I think he was wishing I did get seasick so I wouldn't book so many cruises, but it just never happened to either one of us. We got the flu one time from someone who brought it onboard and I imagine that might feel the same, I don't know. I wish people who were sick would stay home. We're going on a ship in a month that had the Norwalk virus, a few weeks ago, and it didn't come from the ship not being clean; it came from people who brought the virus with them. I know the bigger ships are much better, because you don't feel the motion of the seas and also the newer ships have the stabililzers the older, smaller ships have. I always stick to the newer bigger ships myself......
Old February 14th, 2003, 03:02 AM
DER

Default Re: Re: first timer-seasickness

MY FIRST CRUISE, I THOUGHT I WOULD DIE. I WAS SO SICK ACTUALLY FELT THE MOVEMENT BEFORE WE WERE AT SEA. I HAVE BEEN ON FOUR MORE SINCE AND I GO TO THE DOCTOR AND GET A PRESCRIPTION BEFORE I LEAVE. I ONLY HAD TO TAKE ONE PILL IN ALL THE TRIPS I HAVE TAKEN. I THINK YOU SHOULD GET SOMETHING PRIOR TO LEAVING. THE SHIP DOCTORS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO WASTE ANY TIME BEING SICK. I HAVE ALWAYS GONE ON LARGE SHIPS I GUESS IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW SENSITIVE YOU ARE TO MOTION ( I AM VERY SENSITIVE TO MOTION). YOU WILL BE FINE ENJOY YOUR TRIP.
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: first timer-seasickness

I get very motion sick. What did the doctor give you to take? I get a headache just riding in a car. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old February 27th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Joanne B.

I suffer from motion sick ness on all forms of transportation. Before our cruise, I purchased Sea Bands at the drugstore for $10 (they cost $15 on the ship). You wear them around your wrists. Sea Bands worked for me, especially on the 5th night of the cruise when the seas were very rough and the ship rolled all night long.
Old March 15th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: first timer-seasickness

I take Bonine and use a Relief Band (looks like a watch and gives a slight electrical shock). Works for me.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:40 PM
Mtrout

Default Re: Re: first timer-seasickness

I got a prescription for Meclazine (main ingredient in Dramamine) from my doctor before we left. I started taking half doses several days prior to sailing. I stoped taking them after 2 days because I realized that I was feeling okay. The next day I felt queasy again so I started back. He suggested that I start early so I would know if they made me sleepy. They did at first, but that feeling went away. Joanne B. wrote:

> I suffer from motion sick ness on all forms of transportation.
> Before our cruise, I purchased Sea Bands at the drugstore for
> $10 (they cost $15 on the ship). You wear them around your
> wrists. Sea Bands worked for me, especially on the 5th night
> of the cruise when the seas were very rough and the ship rolled
> all night long.
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am prone to motion sickness and regular old ginger works great. It might be hard to believe, but I have since learned that ginger works better than most of the drugs, and it won't make you drowsy. Try it - you'll like it. Just buy the ginger capsules at Walmart or your local drug store.