Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Post cruise floating feeling

How long do you feel like your still floating on a boat after your home. What do you take to stop it.
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Post cruise floating feeling

Don't try!! Just go on another cruise!! Just joking. I have only had that happen once, on my first cruise and it only lasted a very short while. Maybe an hour or so.

Judy
Old January 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Connie.
I often get that sea legs feeling when I return from a cruise. Normally takes me a couple of days to get my land lags back. If it gets particularily bothersome I use Bonine, just like I would at sea. Seems to work for me.

Regards,
Kuki
Old October 21st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Post cruise floating feeling

I am having the same problem. We got off the cruise two days ago and my head still feels like its floating. The cruise was a little rough due to a tropical depression. I don't know how much longer I can take this, but I'm hesitant to take anything since I need to stay awake.
Old January 4th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Passenger

It happen to me every time and can last a while. I have found that I need the Bonine when I get home - not when I am on the ship. I think it means that I was meant to LIVE on a cruise ship!

If anyone has a solution, I sure would love to hear it!
Old January 28th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

Haha, during my Christmas cruise, I never had to take Bonine, it was mosly smooth sailing the entire trip , but when I got home, I had to take it twice, go figure! My at-home-quasi-seasickness lasted about 3 days.

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old February 11th, 2003, 09:56 AM
First Mate

I've been on a lot of cruises and I just love that feeling after your home; it makes me think I'm still on the ship and then I realize I'm not and get depressed until I book another cruise. I just find it lasts one day but I don't know of anything you do to get over it.......
Old August 8th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Post cruise floating feeling

We just ADORE that feeling - and with us it lasts up to 3 days after getting off the ship.

Last time it was really bad - ie. Good. We had a 6 hour flight home following which we could hardly stand. My wife nearly fell over in the airport - performing a stunning pirouette when she lost her balance completely!!!!

We find that if you are particularly tired it is worse (better!!!).

Best thing to do is lie down, close your eyes and put on some music with the sound of waves in the background. Chilled Ibiza is best. Then you're back at sea.

Pete :o)
Ps. We call it Dock Rock
Old August 9th, 2003, 10:28 PM
First Mate

I notice it mostly in the bathroom or the shower. It lasts for a day or two.
Barb
Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:56 AM
ammayria

We were on quite a rough passage from Cozumel to Key West, and I only noticed it fo about 4 hours in Key West, once back on the ship I didn't notice it anymore.
Old January 17th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I visited my sister in Florida after our cruise and she got quite a kick out of watching me suddenly grab on to doors and countertops! Suddenly the room would just start spinning! It wasn't so bad that it made me sick, but my son had to take a Bonine after we got back. It lasted for 3 or 4 days, but only came in fits and starts.

Bonine didn't really make me sleepy, but did make me feel sort of "goofy."

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Bonhomme Richard

Wonder if this phenomen depends on how much motion is experienced during the cruise? I didn't get this feeling from cruising, but got hit with it pretty good after spending 16 hours on Amtrak's AutoTrain. Like the previous poster pointed out, the shower can really get to spinning on you. Lasted about a day and a half.

Richard
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:40 PM
MyNextCruiseIsNotSoonEnou

For me, that feeling isn't pleasant or fun at all, and it lasts about a week. It doesn't matter how rough/calm the seas are, or how long the trip lasts -- if I cruise, I *will* getit. Some people develop it chronically. Check this out: http://www.etete.com/mdd/
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:59 AM
RitaL

you cannot stop that floating feelings right away. have to let our body to adjust itself and take about 5 days the most in most cases. it is the fluid inside our ears doing the balancing functions. To speed up the recovery, lay down on a sofa with pillows underneath the heads (resting position) for hours. do it as much as possible, watch TV etc to let the ear fluid stablize against gravity. Don't walk around too much or shake your heads or get up too sudden. this helps to speed up the normal feelings.

hope it helps.

RitaL
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:59 AM
straycat

Rita,

I only have one head lol.

I am another cruise addict that loves this sensation. I wish it would always last until the next cruise. I especially like it when I go to bed. I get rocked to sleep for a few more nights!!!!!!!

Julie
Old July 31st, 2004, 04:51 PM
seesicksue

Help...

I just got off the Carnival Legend on 7/26/04, my first cruise. I used the "patch" but I still can't walk. I feel like someone is pushing me down. ANY ADVISE FROM THE EXPERT CRUISERS???

Sea Sick Sue
Old October 31st, 2004, 11:09 AM
bpm

Just back and experiencing vertigo when I look up or get up from lying down or make a fast movement. Anything I can take to help this go away

bpm
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rockingal

There is a rare syndrome that is becoming more common as cruising increases. A person takes month or year to get their "sea legs" back after a cruise, boat ride, or even an airplane trip. Many of us have had this syndrome for years after taking a cruise. If you feel a rocking, swaying, or bobbing motion, imbalance, and fatigue and have difficulty concentrating every day, all day, you probably have this.
This is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDs). If you need information email me or contact http://nhffoundations.net or type in Mal de Debarquement into Google. A lot of people feel like they are going crazy when the rocking doesn't stop for weeks or months and this actual effects your ability to think and speak for most people, in some degree. We are trying to increase awareness of this syndrome and let people know what they have. I have had this for over two years after a cruise. I have had other shorter episodes after boat rides and cruises.

It is true that other types of vertigo are similar to this syndrome, but many doctors have never heard of this. Most of the people in our support group (yahoo) self-diagnosed and had to print out Medical articles (Dr. Timothy Hain) to take to our own doctors. I am just trying to get the word out that there is such a syndrome for the people who are struggling with this. I had this after my first cruise for 1.5 years; it went away in one day. I went on a 2nd cruise 6 months later and now have had it 24/7, for 2 years and 4 months, not fun. We have over 100 people in our support group and some have had it over 14 years. They cannot work or function normally. Some drugs are helpful for different people. But it helps to get ideas on treatments and coping skills.

Here's some web sites: www.earaces.com/maldedebarquement.htm
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/d...ntral/mdd.html

We have a great support group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdds_support/