Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Paula Jewell

Default Medications for Seasickness

W'ere taking our first cruise the end of February. What options do we have for seasickness? I've heard about the patch, of course, and dramamine, but what is meclazine? Which medication really seems to work the best? I get terribly seasick and don't want my trimmed ruined!!
Thanks for any feedback you can give us!
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2002, 06:40 PM
LabeYoung

Default Re: Medications for Seasickness

Meclizine (brand name Bonine, OTC or Antivert, RX) is an antihistimine similiar to Dramamine. Most of my patients prefer this product because it is chewable and seems to cause less drowsiness. Everyone is different though so buy which works best for you. The patch is by prescription but most doctors will happily prescribe it for you if you inform them that you are travelling by ship. Labe Young, R.Ph.
Old February 1st, 2002, 12:25 PM
Passenger

What is the best med.if you have a problum with your prostate. Thanks for any help, Gordon
Old February 2nd, 2002, 12:43 AM
Ingrid

This is going to be my first cruise, and I don't know yet if I get seasick. Do I need to take any medication or put the patch on before the cruise, or is it enough to do it when I start feeling sick?
Than you Ingrid
Old February 10th, 2002, 09:50 PM
kohlbacher

Sea Bands are wonderful. They contain no medication - they work on accupressure. I was a little skeptical, but after working on a small (and rocky!) cruise ship for 6 months, I am definately a believer. You can get them on the internet or at a drug store.
Old February 12th, 2002, 01:29 PM
First Mate

I HAVE BEEN ON 12 CRUISE AND UNFORTUNATLYGET SEASICK ... .. I HAVE TRIED DRAMAMINE, BONINE, AND SEA BANDS.....THE PATCH HAS WORKED BEST FOR ME..YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO PUT IT ON BEFOE YOU EVEN START CRUISING AND IT LAST FOR 3 DAYS...WHEN THE OCEANS ARE BAD AND MOST OF THE SHIP IS SICK NOTHING WILL HELP BUT I DO THINK IT WILL MAKE IT BETTER...WE EVEN GOT IT IN BERMUDA AT A DRUGSTORE WITH NO PRESCRITION...BUT I WOULDNT TAKE THE CHANCE...$45.00 VERSUS $5.00 WITH MY PERSCRIPTION CARD...GOOD LUCK
Old March 11th, 2002, 11:45 AM
First Mate

Sea bands did not work for me at all. I have found that the medication that the cabin steward gave me "free" worked best for me. (RCCL) Dramamine puts me to sleep instantly. I also think that as my body adjusts over time ( one or two days - unless the sea is really rough ) I just get over feeling sick.

Hope you have a great cruise!
Old March 19th, 2002, 08:49 AM
bre77

I get motion sickness really bad. The patches work best for me. I also like the fact that you put one on and it lasts for 3 days. I put mine on the night before we travel that way it is in my system.
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Have tried the patch and Dramamine, both make me slightly queasy. Worse is seasickness in which I felt very queasy and had the worst headache of my entire life, and I've had migranes! The sea bands worked for me with no side effects. Will also consider taking half dose of Dramamine on the evenings we're at sea. The nice thing about oral meds and sea bands is you can discontinue using them while in port where you won't need them.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 01:39 AM
kyle

If you have never cruised before, go for a ride in a car and try reading. As a passenger of course. If you dont have a problem, you will be fine. Todays ships are so big, there is almost no motion. My brother used to get sea-sick all the time, now he cruises twice a year, and his 4 year old girl still does not believe the ships are real boats. if all else fails, drink.