Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default diabetics

Are there any Type 2 diabetic cruisers out there who can give me any advice about cruising with diabetes? What if a diabetic gets seasick? Could that be life-threatening? I am a newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic who is going on my first cruise with my family in May on the Rhapsody. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. I have been seasick twice on a deep sea fishing trip and on a sailboat.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2002, 05:41 PM
dwynn

Default Re: diabetics

I am type 2, insulin dependent. My acupuncturist (who is pregnant) says the seaband wristbands work well and are over-the-counter. I actually have two acupuncture needles in my wrists. If you take bonine, dramamine or whatever, just be sure that it won't spike your glucose levels. Ask your healthcare professional for recommendations. Seasickness could be life-threatening for anyone if you get dehyrdated from losing fluids. There are doctors on tthe ships. If you need more reassurance, ask your doctor or nurse to provide you with a letter listing your meds and treatment needs. It's always good to have anyway for peace of mind. Incidentally, I went to Cancun earlier this year and forgot my insulin. Had quite the adventure finding some (it's OTC in Mexico). However, I could always have gone to a hospital for assistance. Have a contignency plan and things will be fine.

I'm sailing 5/20. As an aside, the smaller the vessel, the more I feel the rocking. Maybe ther is hardly anything on the big ships. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.
Old June 16th, 2002, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: diabetics

The person I went with is diabetic and he wore the patch which was perscribed by his doctor and was fine.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 07:56 PM
Vicki C

Default Re: Re: Re: diabetics

Yes I agree with Anne, I am a type 2 who uses insulin everyday and I have been on 8 cruises so far. Always use the patch and never had any problems. Just have the steward empty out the refigerator for you so you can store you medication and snacks that you need. Always plan ahead and try to stay on schedule just like you were at home.
Vicki
Old February 11th, 2003, 10:31 AM
First Mate

My husband is a type 2 diabetic and I have asthma so we carry a lot of prescriptions with us when we cruise. We've been on 27 cruises and luckilly neither one of us has had any problems, but from what I've heard about the doctors on the ships, is that they are very good and I've never heard from anyone that;s gotten sick that they haven't been able to help them. We just make sure we have enough prescriptions for our whole trip and take the same precautions we do at home.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:01 PM
LANEY

Default Re: Re: diabetics

WE ARE TRAVELING WITH MY FATHER WHO IS INSULIN DEPENDENT, DO WE NEED TO GET A LETTER FROM HIS DOCTOR TO CARRY ON SHIP WITH US TO ALLOW US TO BRING HIS SYRINGES ON BOARD? IF NEEDED DOES THE SHIP'S HOSPITAL CARRY ADDITIONAL INSULIN FOR PURCHASE?
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: diabetics

No need for any paper work to bring syringes on board but do go to the medical center to pick up a container for his needle disposal.

The ships do carry insulin but may not have what you use. It is better to carry an extra bottle. DH was charged $50.00 for the bottle.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Definitely bring extra insulin with you....why take a chance and the ship not have what your Dad needs? It is easy to plan ahead!