Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2002, 10:01 PM
Jennie

Default Seaband

My friends and I are going on our first cruise in a few weeks. We are slightly worried about being sea sick. Some of us are planning on bringing dramamine, others are planning on getting patches. I recently read about the sea-band. Has anyone used them? How do they work? What do you recommend? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seaband

Sea bands are elastic bands with little button like parts built in. You wear on your wrist with the little "buttons" on the pressure point (pulse point) on the underside of your wrist. I know my granddaughter who gets car sick wears them and when wearing them has no problems. Can be purchased in any major chain pharmacy and often on the ship as well.
Old July 27th, 2002, 04:50 AM
First Mate

Jennie:

We had the same concerns prior to our cruise as all 3 of us have experienced motion sickness. To each their own but we used "Sea-Bands" on our trip in January. They worked great - no side effects. You may not need them all the time. I only put mine on when I felt the motion was a bit too much. Don't be embarrased by wearing them either,as I saw a few people wearing them or the patches behind the ear. The main thing is don't worry about it and enjoy the cruise. You should get accustomed to the motion fairly quickly. Hope you enjoy your cruise to ???

richard

Post Edited (07-27-02 03:59)
Old September 21st, 2002, 09:09 PM
Salem5050

Default Re: Re: Seaband

All I can say..is I wore the patch on my first cruise, what a mistake...the side effects of the patch are horrible...I am going to use dramimine next cruise!
Old October 6th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Yeoman

We were near a hurricane a few years back in the Caribbean and the seas got quite rough. I can't take any drugs - they make me sleepy. However, I tried the wrist bands and they worked like a miracle. What was really interesting was when I took them off one night (a formal night), I started feeling queasy within half an hour. They do work well!
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:53 PM
dwynn

Default Re: Re: Seaband

I wore Seabands when I went to Alaska. I'm diabetic so I had to be certain that whatever I used didn't interact negatively with my meds. My doctor recommended Seabands and they worked great. I only really needed them when I went whale-watching on a very small boat and on the bus ride from Seattle to Vancouver . The motion of the ship was hardly noticeable and I was aft. I heard the engines start up, but rarely felt anything.
Old November 20th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Masrie

Default Re: Re: Re: Seaband

i used sea bands and was still seasick, but not as bad as other times
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:49 AM
killian

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Seaband

go to e-bay and buy them i did and got a great deaL. I AM GOING ON MY FIRST CRUISE IN A FEW WEEKS SO I DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY WORK I PUT IT ON FOR THE FUN OF IT AND I FOUND IT TO FEEL FUNNY AND HURT A BIT I HOPE IT HELPS IF I NEED IT? THERE ARE NO SIDE EFFECTS. I LIKE THAT.