Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2002, 02:26 PM
First Mate

Default recirculated air on planes

I read somewhere, (I don't remember where) that you can rub Neosproin in your nostrils and that it helps to keep your body from absorbing the airborn germs. Has anyone tried this, or heard of it before?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2002, 06:14 PM
melaniausa

Default Re: recirculated air on planes

Someone else gave the tip out and I guess it does work. I have not tried it before though.
Old August 15th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Would you use the cream or ointment Neosporin? Somehow the ointment seems to be the better choice for this use. What do you think?
Teri
Old August 20th, 2002, 06:46 PM
asdfkaskdfjhasdfh

Default Re: Re: recirculated air on planes

Actually, as a consultant, I travel quite frequently. I've researched this matter quite extensively and there is no evidence to back up that people get sick on airplanes due to recirculated air. Instead, it is suggested that by touching the seat and your tray table, etc... that you are getting the germs on your hand. The best way to prevent getting sick while travelling is to not touch your face while on an airplane and maybe to take wet wipes to clean your area around you on the plane and your hands before touching your face, etc...
Old February 11th, 2003, 10:20 AM
First Mate

I've never gotten sick from the re-circulated air that I'm aware of; but one time, about 23 years ago (and I don't think they do this anymore); my family was flying to Mexico for a vacation....(this was before I discovered cruises) and right before we landed in Mexico the stewardess came through our plane and sprayed something in the air. When I asked her what it was, she said it was just an air freshner. Well, she lied to us. I have asthma and what I breathed wasn't an air freshner, it was something they were required to do back then (I think it's outlawed now) because we were landing in another country, to supposedly kill germs or something in the plane. What it did was make me extremley ill. We went to our room, I couldn't breath, we couldn't find a doctor in our hotel (which was a very expensive hotel) and we turned right around a came back home as soon as possible. We traveled 3000 miles to get there, and spent a lot of money on the trip and spent a lot of extra money to get back home and lost all of our money we paid ahead to our hotel in different cities in Mexico. We now go on cruises a lot and always buy insurance and we deal with a reputable cruise agent, which we didn't do back then. It was the worst travel experience I ever had, but we sure learned from it.