Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Default Electronic wrist band for seasickness

O.K., no one responded to my last question, so perhaps the title was misleading. Does anyone know anyone who has used the electronic "ReliefBand" to relieve/prevent seasickness? It looks like a wristwatch that you wear with the watch part on the inside of the wrist. The priciple is the same as Seabands, but instead of just pressure, it sends electronic pulses (you can vary the intensity). It is fairly new, but sounds impressive -- apparently approved for treating chemotherapy nausea & morning sickness. It is very expensive, but has the huge advantage that you can wait until you actually need it, rather than have to take drugs "in case" you might need it. I would love to get some feedback & personal experience before spending the $125.
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:09 AM
killian

Default Re: Electronic wrist band for seasickness

i just got two of them off e-bay for a great deal i tryed it out, it give the hand it is on a funny feelinglike it was going to sleep. i do not like i,t i thought they sounded like a great idea. i like it because you can drink w/ them and there is no side effects. i am goining on a cruise in a few weeks i will try to use it to see how it works.i think its a great idea. good luck
Old November 11th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Electronic wrist band for seasickness

Thanks for the input. Please let me know how it works for you on the cruise. I wouldn't wish seasickness on anyone, but I would sure like to know if it can really stop the nausea after it starts.
Old November 20th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Masrie

I don t know anything about it, but want to their web site and its 64.00 there
Old November 22nd, 2002, 05:55 PM
Passenger

That's for the disposable one (a throwaway). The reuseable one is around $100.
Old March 15th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I use the Relief Band when flying in a small airplane -- it works for me.
Old March 26th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Default Re: Re: Electronic wrist band for seasickness

Here at work we have one to share for people who get carsick. (We get sent out on ambulence rides a lot, that's nauseating!) I didn't think it did anything at all, but some people here really like them.
rachel
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:44 AM
Mark and Roger

Default Re: Re: Re: Electronic wrist band for seasickness

I never used the relief band on a cruise (will later this month in May 2003).
However I did use it flying to Europe.
My frist flight into London was very rocky for the last 30 minutes and I did not have the relief band on, I was sick for 10 hours after the flight.

Then on the next flight the next day, I did have the relief band on, the plane flying out of London rocked for 10 minutes like the previous day. I activated the relief band, and it kept me focused. I noticed a difference, though my eyes still seem unfocused. After the rockying stopped however, I turned off the watch, and I WAS PERFECTLY fine. No motion sickness afteraffects like the previous day.

SO, I believe it works. I believe that each person it will work to a different degree.

Will post after my cruise is finished early June 2003 and give you a 12 day experience, as I know this type of motion sickness is close to the worst andmany people would benifet from knowing more facts.
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Passenger

It works! We had a VERY rough 16 day cruise, and the Relief Band worked like a charm. I wore it whenever it was rough, but only turned it on after I started to feel queezy (sp?). However, it is a little tricky -- the instructions tell you to find the spot where you feel the electronic pulse across your palm & up your two middle fingers, and that is critical. At first I thought it wasn't going to work for me, because I could feel the pulse on my wrist, but it wasn't having any effect on my nausea. I wiggled it around, and just about jumped out of my skin when I finally hit the right nerve (I had turned it up too high, and felt like I zapped my whole hand.) Once you have found the right spot and know how it is supposed to feel, you can find it every time and it's well worth the effort.