Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Passenger

Default Seasick, Hawaii & other questions

The last time I was on a cruise was the Norway in 1986 - after getting my *sea legs*, I loved it.

I was sick and in bed for the first 3 days - we had some rough seas (I could see the wine in my glass in the dining room sloshing back and forth) and there was even a port (don't remember which one now) that we couldn't go to because the seas were too rough.

Dramamine didn't work at all - in hindsight, I probably should've tried the patch for seasickness. But like I said, after the first 3 days I had the time of my life.

So being the genius I am, we've decided to do a Hawaiin cruise on the Star for our 10 year anniversary. I've gotten prescription motion sickness patches from my doc and am hoping that will do the trick.

How rough are the seas in Hawaii? (I've never been.) Have they done anything "technologically" to the ships in the last 15+ years that would lessen the "rocking" and "wine sloshing" that I experienced than?

Any advice for someone who's prone to seasickness? (Except to *not* take the cruise - I really REALLY loved the cruising experience and I've always wanted to visit Hawaii.)

Help!
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2002, 07:50 AM
killian

Default Re: Seasick, Hawaii & other questions

GET THE SEA BAND THERE ARE NO SIDE EFFECTS LIKE THE PATCH!
Old November 21st, 2002, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Yes, they have modernized today's ships propulsion and apizoid systems greatly to help assist with stabilization. Basically the waters off the Hawaiian island should be smooth. However, storms even hurricane's do occur as you may know. As recommended, an ounce of prevention is worth the effort. The Sea Bands can be purchased for about $5 and do not affect any presciption medications that you may already take. The patch is great, however there are medicinal side-affects. Having a cabin mid ship both top to bottom and stern to bow is the best recommendation for the least motion. Although we have traveled to Hawaii twice, we have never cruised there. Do plan your days at port carefully to experience the most diversity that these USA island have to offer. Renting a car is a good bet so you have freedom to roam on your own. Don't miss a black sand beach, the Halekila Crater at Maui, Waimea Canyon on Kauai, Spouting Horn at Poipou, Volcano's National Park on the Big Island, etc. If budget allows, book a helicoptor ride either over the active volcano or at Kauai. It is breathtaking.
Bon Voyage Wishing you many more happy years together.
Old November 27th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Chris Rogers

The big thing is STABILIZERS. These stop ships from doing the roll.

A second thing is use of the bow and aft thrusters, this assists the ship in turning so that you hardly notice it;

lastly, the newer (larger) ships are big enough that you do not notice when the seas are rough.

The patch is NOT a good thing: Scoplamine is a mind-altering draug and can even make some people halucinate (that is what is in the patches)! They are NOT ALLOWED to be sold in Canada.
Old February 11th, 2003, 09:48 AM
First Mate

I took my first cruise on the Norway in 1985 and that's when I became a cruise addicit. Now my husband and I are getting ready to take our 28th in a month and the only thing I'm worried about is the Norwalk Virus that was on our ship two weeks ago. I just hope it's better in a month. To answer your question, I've been on two cruises to Hawaii and in a month, it will be my third cruise in Hawaii. The only problem I've had there, with the rough seas, was in January when I went on a cruise there one year. It was considered their stormy season and I didn't know it. We were on the old American Cruise Line and the ship didn't have the stabililzers the newer ships have. It was so bad that people were falling out of bed and even the crew got seasick. We were lucky and it didn't affect us at all and I'm one who gets sick over every little thing. I th ink if you don't go in the winter time, you will be ok. My other cruise was in May and we had a wonderful time and no one got seasick that I know of; but of course being on a large ship helps because you don't feel the ocean so much. Now in a month we're going on the Sun Princess and I know that will be great. Don't cancel your cruise, go and have a great time. The only time my husband and I got sick was one January on a Panama Canal cruise on an old ship of Carnival and someone brought the flu on board. I don't go on old ships, or small ships anymore, and for more than one reason, I don't cruise Carnival anymore.