Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Delores

Default Sinus/Ear problems long after cruise/flying

I've been back from our Alaska cruise 2 mos, & am still having ear/sinus pain , ringing in the ears, & dizziness. 2 antibiotics & visits to 3 doctors (including an ENT Spec.) haven't helped me. Have a CT scan scheduled for Dec. 8, but sure would like to get some relief. Have tried Sudafed, Bonine, salt water - you name it. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or is it just me? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:39 PM
An Author

Default Re: Sinus/Ear problems long after cruise/flying

I posted a message about something similar on another cruise message board. Your problems sound a little different, but if you use an internet search engine to look up the term "mal de debarquement" you could at least compare your symptoms, and see if this is perhaps something your ENT could be pursuing as a possible explanation.

Then, again, maybe you just have a chronic sinusitis that's really coincidental to the fact that you recently returned from a cruise?
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:42 PM
An Author

Maybe I should look at the date before posting...this one's pretty old, and I'm sure Delores is long-since well! !
Old September 27th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Sooshie

My husband was a musician for years and now suffers from tinnitis...which is a constant ringing in the ears (like after a concert). He went to several ENT's and one that specializes in tinnitis. He had to wear an ear piece that pumped white noise into his ears for around 8 hours a day. It re-trains the brain to not hear the ringing (if that makes sense). He has a very severe case and finally gave up and just puts up with the "noise". He just has to have background noise all the time (TV, radio, yelling kids lol). Good luck with your doctor visits...let me know the outcome.

Sooshie1@comcast.net