Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Debbie Norris

Default Bonine

Does anyone know where to get Bonine in Ontario Canada? I don't really like purchasing over the internet and I guess Bonine is mainly a U.S. product. Most of the internet sites say U.S. residents only as well. Hope someone can help. I've heard this stuff is really good but the person who recommended it bought it in the U.S.
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Bonine

Hi Debbie!

You can get a form of Bonine from your family doctor. I say a form of the drug
because when I asked him about it and he looked it up, they did not have it
in the "books". Before I went cruising,
I went to visit the doc and told him about my upcoming trip. He wrote me
a prescription.

The ship's medical facilities should also provide you some for free. We were on
Celebrity Cruises. On a really rough night at sea, I went down and asked for it.
A warning though...for most people (I was told), the drug will not cause drowsiness. Unfortunately, I was one of the few people who was affected. I took it in the morning and by late afternoon, I had to sleep. When I was woken up for dinner (late seating), I really did not want to get up. Funny story though...half way during dinner, I had to leave my poor husband to go back to bed. I really could not keep my eyes open. I guess you can say the drug worked...I was too passed out to get sea sick! :-)
Old January 10th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Bonine

Debbie, Bonine can be purchased at any drugstore in the US. If you feel you need this, then i would stop at a drugstore before you board the ship. Bonine is better than Dramamine, good to have just in case. FYI unless you get terrible motion sickness, chances are you won't even need it, the ships have wonderful stabalizers and the Caribbean is usually fairly smooth. The BEST OPTION in my opinion are the patches you get from the doctor.
Old January 14th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Bonine

Hi! We will be cruising the Western Caribean next month on the Carnival Triumph and several of us are worried about sea sickness. Do you recommend the patches just as preventative - I'm highly suggestible and we have a higher deck stateroom... Thanks for any info!
Robyn
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:01 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Bonine

The generic name for Bonine is Meclazine- this can be prescribed by your physician in pill form 12.5mg or over-the-counter in chewable 25mg tablets. I find the 12.5mg tablets to work really well and have found they cause less drowsiness (even though this medication is supposed to be "non-drowsy". If you can find the 25mg chewable form try cutting the tablet in half, you can always increase the dose if it isn't effective for you.

Meclazine (and other anti-motion sickness medications) are in the antihistamine family which is why they tend to have the side effects of sleepiness, dizziness or dry mouth.

Scopolomine (the patch worn behind the ear) can be very effective for motion sickness but carries with it greater risk for the side effects of drowsiness and dizziness. Again, the antihistamine/anticholinergenic properties are what cause the dry mouth and sleepiness side effects. The patch should be applied in advance of symptoms therefore is worn as a preventative approach. (As with any medications read directions carefully and consult your personal physician prior to use).

Dramamine (diphenhydramine) tends to cause more drowsiness than Meclazine, however is now marketed in 2 forms, Dramamine II being touted as "less drowsy formula" and contains Meclazine the same as Bonine.

Don't drink alcohol while using these medications as doing so can greatly enhance the side effects. The last thing you want happening is feeling even more ill!

I have used the wrist bands (Sea-Bands) and found them to be very effective! I don't know if it's purely psychosomatic or the pressure caused by the little bead applied to the inside of the wrist actually does work like accupressure, but I did find them to work quite well. They are available in most drug store chains and even places such as Wal-Mart.

Bonine and or Dramamine is always available in various places around the ship, sometimes even in the guest basket in the bathroom, at the pursors desk and in the infirmary.

Should you start to feel sea-sick drink small sips of ginger-ale and go outside (balcony , deck ) sit in a chair and focus on the horizon. Fresh air and letting your eyes focus on the horizon for a while is sometimes enough if your symptoms are mild.

Hope this helps!

Deja
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Bonine

answer this simple question. Do you get severe motion sickness when riding in a car, when flying on a plane?? If you answered no, then you more than likely will not need any kind of meds for seasickness- fresh air, and ginger ale are great for the slight queezies. If you answered yes then i would consider the patch, bands or the Bonine.