CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   Leg cramps (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/296446-leg-cramps.html)

KimJack January 11th, 2003 12:01 PM

Leg cramps

Frequently people experience leg or foot cramping on planes or on ships in unfamiliar beds. A doctor told me that a sure and fast cure for these ailments is quinine, which is found most handily in tonic water. And it really works! So instead of trying to walk off your cramps, a solution that doesn't always work satisfactorily, try a glass of tonic water (Schweppes supposedly has the most quinine). I frequently add my favorite spirits to give a bit of flavor to my medication. lol
Jack

charliegirl January 23rd, 2005 07:06 PM

Re: Leg cramps

If you get leg cramps in bed at night, put a bar of soap in the bed near your legs. I heard about this a few years ago and I no longer have to leap out of bed at night screaming (very alarming to my husband!). Our local paper carries a syndicated column from an MD and he has had so many letters about this cure that he now endorses it although he says there is no scientific reason for it...! It works!!!

buffetfan2004 February 13th, 2006 08:06 PM

leg cramps possible dehysration & magnesium deficient

Another possibilty for some leg cramping is dehydration, or magnesium deficiency. Try multiple vitamins and drink plenty of water. Most times by the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated. Especially during travel.

Fern February 14th, 2006 08:52 PM

You also may be low on potassium. Eat a banana or two!

MaryLou February 18th, 2006 09:34 PM

Thanks for all of the great tips. I hate leg cramps at night. I'll try these suggestions.

crabbie1 April 2nd, 2006 02:23 PM

Leg Cramps

Another EXCELLENT remedy for leg cramps is... dill pickles.
My son is a distance bike rider and they give them dill pickles for leg cramps. Occasionally I get them at night, have eaten a dill pickle and THEY ARE GONE.

paddletoe53 May 14th, 2006 12:31 AM

i take one potassium tablet a day and it helps

JeanS May 18th, 2006 07:46 AM

I agree w/Charliegirl, I tried putting a bar of soap near my bed and one night when I got cramps, I picked it up and the cramp melted away! One time however it did not work, but I thought it was very interesting when it did! Now I take potassium every day and don't have a problem w/them anymore.

paddletoe53 May 19th, 2006 12:10 AM

her are a couple more things you can do for the leg cramps and i have done both drink some pickle juice it taste yuke and real salty but you need to replace the salt and the other one is gatorade

richstacy June 17th, 2006 06:25 PM

Jean, i was just looking through this topic and came across your post re the bar of soap. I don't ordinarily put much store in folk remedies but---on our recent cruise my DW was suffering leg cramps. One of our tablemates mentioned the bar of soap remedy. Karen decided it could do no harm and tried it. Walla! No more cramps! That's pretty weird when you stop and think about it. :D

JeanS June 17th, 2006 07:21 PM

Hi RichStacy,

Yes, it is very interesting that it works without any logical explanation! But sometimes that's the fun in things....altho I must admit, one night it did not work for me, but the other times, it was really strange how my painful cramp just melted away!

Anytime you don't have to take medication for something I figure is a bonus!

Happy Cruising!

carol31j August 11th, 2006 12:29 AM

Alternative remedies for leg cramps

Hyland's has a Homeopathic Leg Cramps Ointment. And, for faster relief, you can also try their Quinine Tablets and Caplets along with using the ointment. This works for many people.

KimJack August 15th, 2006 10:46 AM

I was astounded to see that this thread, which I posted 3 years ago, has resurfaced.

Shortly after posting in 2003, I learned about the remedy that Carol mentioned (Hyland's tablets). The name is "Leg Cramps With Quinine", and a bottle is never far from my bedside. I had terrible leg cramps practically every night, cramps which couldn't be "walked off". Dw Kim had them too, and they seemed to get worse as we got older.

Not only did the Hyland's product work well (2 small tabs under your tongue and the pain is gone within minutes), but we both have far fewer leg cramp attacks since we started taking the product. There's still a bottle always nearby, though, whether we're at home or cruising or flying. You can get some at www.doctorstrust.com or by calling 1-800-266-4929 ($9.99 for 200 tabs). I really works! And this is not an advertisement. :)

Jack

richstacy August 15th, 2006 01:51 PM

Jack I copied your post and gave it to my wife who has leg cramps. thanks.
:)

helenc July 14th, 2010 01:40 PM

thigh muscle cramps

I read with relief, some of the posted suggestions. I get acute thigh muscle cramps when flying. I have never had the problem when cruising. My doctor did not know of other people with the same problem. I have tried extra calcium, and was OK on the return flight after eating a banana. Has anyone else experienced this problem? i will try the Hylands tablets suggestion next time, but wonder why it occurs? In my case it appears to have something to do with the pressure, rather than confined seating, as I am always careful to get up and walk around as much as possible.

aneshiya October 1st, 2010 12:10 PM

If you are someone who suffers from frequent cramping,it is good for you if you take a drink with salt or you can try the more conventional method of applying a cold pack or a good balm.

Cindy October 1st, 2010 12:20 PM

Glad I found this information.
Cindy

ruthlessboss October 1st, 2010 06:48 PM

This sounds corny, but it's true. I tracked my diet and cramps, found mine are triggered on nights I enjoy an abundance of sugar or a large portion of pasta (which converts to sugar). Can't explain it,.
What's the soap thing? Just hold it? Rub it on? Any specific brand?
All other suggestions do work.
I'll add 1 more thing. It's called Blu Emu, a rub on gel. I get it at Walmart.

CarolinaGirl October 6th, 2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carol31j (Post 813102)
Hyland's has a Homeopathic Leg Cramps Ointment. And, for faster relief, you can also try their Quinine Tablets and Caplets along with using the ointment. This works for many people.

This really does work. My husband uses the tablets for his sciatica and it helps that too. I get it at Walmart in the vitamin aisle down towards the bottom of the rack. I'd advise not using a lot of this though, I'm sure that quinine isn't something that you want building up in your body.:-)

MarkNYC October 6th, 2010 04:45 PM

Another excellent remedy for leg cramps is to use the hand on the opposite side to pull the leg downwards. While doing this, be sure to twist your body in the opposite direction.

Lakers Fan October 6th, 2010 05:21 PM

Wearing socks 24/7 is a way to not have cramps

janice201149 November 4th, 2011 02:20 AM

In adding to this check with your doctor if you have frequent or unusually severe muscle cramps that do not appear to be associated with exercise or do not improve with stretching and massage. Muscle cramps in the legs that come on with exercise can be a sign of a more serious condition called intermittent claudication due to poor circulation of blood to the legs.

ruthlessboss November 4th, 2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janice201149 (Post 1400014)
In adding to this check with your doctor if you have frequent or unusually severe muscle cramps that do not appear to be associated with exercise or do not improve with stretching and massage. Muscle cramps in the legs that come on with exercise can be a sign of a more serious condition called intermittent claudication due to poor circulation of blood to the legs.

Most people in and out of the medical profession are scratching their head and saying "HUH?", "What's that?"

joshuaty2010 November 4th, 2011 11:20 AM

To all members give informative information regarding on muscle cramps. Thank you. I share it with my wife. And she thankful for that.

colorcrazie November 4th, 2011 03:17 PM

Just FYI, oranges actually have more potassium than bananas. A little messier to eat in the middle of the night, though. :D Actually, mine disappeared when I started taking extra magnesium. Have to only take 1/2 tablet a couple of hours before bed. Otherwise, instead of hekping, it keeps me awake.
I do find that I may still get leg cramps if my feet are cold, so socks are my solution to that.
Marty

Lakers Fan November 4th, 2011 09:50 PM

In May of this year I was diagnosed with Venous Insufficiency ,the cause of my leg cramps . I now wear support hose all day and diabetic socks while sleeping .This is in lieu of taking medication .