Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Paul Diemer

Default Fear of (SARS) Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

So, anyone else afraid of getting SARS while on the cruise? I mean, stuck with 2000 other people. If one person has it, we can all get it.
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Fear of (SARS) Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

No, I am not afraid of getting it! So far it seems the virus (yes, it is a virus and antibiotics will do no good in combating this illness) has been confined to people in SE Asia or those who have traveled there. If you are truly afraid - wash your hands frequently, and wear a mask when out in public (but they are hot and not very comfortable - I'm a nurse, I know!)

Check out the Centers for Disease Control website http://www.cdc.gov for the latest information.

Sure hope this does not get blown out of proportion like Norwalk did!

Old March 27th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Paul Diemer

Default Re: Re: Fear of (SARS) Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

Actually, it's not longer in just Asia. It's in Canada and quite possible the U.S., too

Canada: http://canada.com/national/story.asp...5-69138FCCC312

U.S.: http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/new...pneumonia.html

On the other hand, here's some good news about it. Of course it's just one man's opinion: http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle....toryID=2459161

Paul Diemer, Managing Director
http://host.fundamentalhosting.com
Old March 27th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Yes Paul, I do have some concern. I am asthmatic, who has just had a bad bought with Bronchial Asthma and can't quite get rid of the nagging lingering cough. I have taken ill (in Europe) on a cruise ship along with at least 100 others, and it is no fun spending time in the infirmary. However, my outlook is this can and does happen anywhere. I was at a Mountain Hotel/Resort about 1/2 hr. from Canada in 25 degrees below zero weather the weekend before I started this ailment. I never left the confines of the hotel nor did I come in really close contact with anyone other than my spouse. Servers were from South American Countries, so maybe someone passed around a germ! Just like the war, I am not going to let this affect my long awaited travel plans.
Hope you don't either.
Bon Voyage
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Birdlord

I think it's a legitimate concern and I have thought about it myself, but since I don't sail until November, I'm hoping by then there is some calm to our fears. However, as you know, there are definitely cases in North America, with Toronto being the hot spot on our side of the world. I would have to assume that many people from Toronto are avid cruisers, too. Anyone who has visited Asia is at risk. Anyone who has visited Toronto is at risk. And SARS cases have most definitely been confirmed here in the U.S. (a few right here in my home state of New Jersey and also over in Philadelphia). One has to be concerned of getting into contact with someone who does not know they've been exposed. I read in the paper today that one cruise line has banned citizens of Toronto, but it did not indicate which cruise line. I think whenever you have a couple thousand people in one spot for about a week that you must be concerned. I wonder how the cruise industry is going to address this --- you have to imagine they don't want to tell a certain segment of the population they cannot sail (bad for repeat customers) but yet you cannot risk getting a whole ship ill, too (also bad for repeat customers).
-Lori
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:00 PM
MaTtC

COMMON PEOPLE! Are you afraid of getting meningitis while cruising? I live and work in Toronto and I am SARS free. That is with cronic sinus problems and mild asthma! Its not life threatening and no one is going to stop their lives because someone else has it or doesn't want to have it.
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:35 PM
worfsmom

Default Re: Re: Fear of (SARS) Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

I'm a nurse in Toronto.......even tho our hospitals / government can't or won't provide us with proper equipment we aren't afraid of contacting SARS. It's a crap shoot, and I think that they will eventually find that all our cases stemmed from 2 initial people. I'd worry more about Norwalk................who wants to spend their holiday hanging over a bed into a bucket or sitting on the toilet?