Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Frannyj

Default best time of year to cruise to Bermuda to avoid seasickness

I'm looking at having my wedding in Bermuda next year (2004) and we are planning to sail with all of our guests. My co-worker just got back from cruising last week from Boston to bermuda and said it was extremely rough. Is June better? Looking on Celebrity out of NY (Zenith or Horizon)

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: best time of year to cruise to Bermuda to avoid seasickn

there are so many factors that could contribute to rough seas, but early spring is usually when the Atlantic Ocean is fairly rough, but April in Bermuda is total heaven.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: best time of year to cruise to Bermuda to avoid seas

And just in case...take along some ginger capsules (you can get them at most drug stores or Walmart). If the main problem is nausea, ginger works much better than most of the drugs (bonine, dramamine) and it doesn't make you drowsy. On our cruise, the seas were rough enough to make you feel the boat moving, and my sister-in-law was feeling a bit queasy before dinner. I gave her a couple of my ginger capsules and within a half hour she was feeling great.
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Sailing to Bermuda is a bit different than sailing the Caribbean. With no storms around, the Caribbean is like sailing in a big warm water bathtub.
Bermuda on the otherhand is several hundred miles out into the open Atlantic. Whether you sail from NY or Boston, you do sail the open waters of the Atlantic for 2 days in each direction. Second factor with sailing to Bermuda is the ships tend to be amoung the smallest out there these days (ie Zenith, Horizon, Majesty etc.). Combine the two things and you will get what some people feel is a bumpy ride.
On my last cruise while some folks complained about rockin' and rollin' others thought it was the smoothest ride they ever had. It's all relative. Based on storm frequency, you will more likely get a better ride in May and June than Sept and Oct.
Waiting on the other end is perhaps the single best cruise destination in the world, Bermuda.
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Yeoman

I just went to Bermuda on the Horizon on May 3, 2003. It wasn't so bad going back and forth. The weather in May was perfect. But you never know what the weather will be.

Keep in mind hurricane season in August and September which has storms in the Atlantic that could go up towards Bermuda. (I live in Miami, so I keep a close check on hurricanes.) So you might want to consider Bermuda for May or June.

I only felt a little sick at lunch on one day, but I ordered a ginger ale and I was fine. I never felt after that.

Why is the seas always the roughest on the formal nights when you are wearing heels? Just a little tidbit for the women.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 02:37 PM
toley

PapaBill is right. The Atlantic is unpredictable at best. We've cruised to Bermuda several times in July and August and found we could never count on what we would experience. In the last couple of trips, the Atlantic was as smooth as a mill pond for most of the trip. Absolutely incredible. Mid to late July seems to be a good choice, but of course it is the most expensive time to go. It may be a coincidence, but it seems that the roughest seas are on the first night leaving Bermuda. I've heard that it is related to crossing the gulf stream. Good weather has outweighed the bad and that jewel in the Atlantic, Bermuda, always draws us back. Bermuda is definitely worth the trip.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:46 AM
toley

Frannyj,
Forgot to say in the last post that our last trip to Bermuda was on the Horizon. We had a wonderful time, great food and service. It is an older ship and not the size of the mega ships of today, but in great shape and spotless. That was our first experience with Celebrity, but won't be our last.
Old July 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: best time of year to cruise to Bermuda to avoid seas

I totally agree with toley. I have been on 5 cruises, 3 of which were with a large group of people. None of us got sick at all. Until Bermuda!! It was just my husband and I, and I felt a bit queesy on the way there. But, I went to the room to lie down and was fine.This was this past late April to early May on the Zenith. However, when we got there, it was such a wonderful experience (a completely different cruise than the Caribbean) that I forgot all about my sea sickness! We are currently planning another cruise to Bermuda for next June. In conclusion, it is worth a queesy stomach. Especially if that is the only way you can get there! (My husband doesn't fly). As toley said with Horizon, the Zenith is a bit older and a lot smaller than some of the ships out there, but they keep it so nice, who cares!! Have a great time!
Old August 6th, 2003, 10:31 PM
First Mate

Can anyone tell me about the Norwegian Majesty. We're thinking about a May, 04 cruise from Boston to Bermuda.

I do wish that other cruise lines would sail out of Boston. I prefer an "old fashioned" traditional cruise, to freestyle.

Barb