Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Andee Bram

Default travelling with oxygen

We are going on the Orient Lines ship Marco Polo "Grand Scandinavia" cruise, departing July 19. The trip is to celebrate my mother's 80th and my father's 85th birthdays. My mother has been in the hospital with a lung infection, is going home today on oxygen. We don't know if she will still need it when we go on the cruise. Has anyone had experience either flying with oxygen or using it on a cruise? How do we make the necessary arrangements?
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: travelling with oxygen

have your travel agent contact the special needs departmenst of your cruise ship and your airline to make any arrangements.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:24 AM
glum

Default Re: travelling with oxygen

different airlines have differing policies. some charge, some dont. Some arrange everything for you (and may charge, or not).

some budget airlines dont supply oxygen but allow you ti bring your own. However they class it as luggage and as such consumes your less than adequate 20kgs.

one airline (Lufhthansa) told me the oxygen was free, however I would have to buy the cylinder a seat!!
Old June 29th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: travelling with oxygen

Talk with your home care provider... the one that supplies the home oxygen... they will help you out with the arrangements, such as having the oxygen available at your pre cruise stops, hotels, etc.... They will also be able to figure out how much oxygen you will need to take with you. You will definetly need to go with a National home care company such as Rotech, Apria, or Lincare. I know for a fact that all oxygen used for travel within the US through Rotech companies is free of charge (I work for Rotech as a respiratory therapist)......

As for taking oxygen on the ship, that will need to be OK'ed through the cruise line.

Hope that helps.

Amanda
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Andee Bram

Default Re: Re: Re: travelling with oxygen

Here's what we've learned so far:
Continental Airlines needs 48 hours advance notice to provide oxygen; the charge is $75 per flight.
SAS allows oxygen on some flights, but flights on an Airbus cannot accommodate oxygen. So my parents will be flying to Stockhom via Oslo to avoid the Airbus.
The cruise line (Orient) does not arrange oxygen. The company we have contacted so far is Travel Med; they require three weeks notice, but will let us make the necessary arrangements with 19 days notice, which is all we have left. If it turns out that my mother doesn't need oxygen by the time we leave, Travel Med will not allow for cancellation. i assume that means that they won't force us to take delivery of the oxygen, but they'll charge us for it. Apria, who supplies my mother's oxygen, doesn't operate in Scandinavia. Does Rotech?
Old July 7th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: travelling with oxygen

Andee.... I'm looking into it, but what I've heard so far is that most people end up going with a cruise ine that supplies the oxygen..... Tough thing isn't it?

Good luck with everything, I hope you know in time whether she will ned O2 or not.

Amanda
Old July 7th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Andee Bram

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: travelling with oxygen

She's down to 1/2 liter, so we're optimistic that she will only need it intermittently on the cruise. Of course, that means she still has to take it. We have found a company that will supply a portable concentrator that can be used with European electricity for $600. The portable concentrator is a much better option than dealing with 30 tanks.