Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Long Tall Sally

Default Sniffing Dogs

Reading certain advice postings I am under the impression that our check-in bags are sniffed by dogs. Does this procedure happen on em-barking (sorry, couldn't help myself) the ship? Or debarkation? Do the embarking passengers file by dogs? Do they sniff your carryons? I am a first-time cruiser and would like to know what to expect. Dogs make me nervous. --I had a very bad experience with a dog. I'd like to prepare with some relaxation techniques. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Sniffing Dogs

Relax.....the luggage is screened upon debarkation - well before the passengers claim their luggage. I have never seen a working dog (unless it was for a handicapped person) on a cruise ship (hello to Erin the German Shepherd from Lisa....). Most of the times the dogs work behind the scenes so they are not disturbed by the passengers, etc.

Old July 17th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Andee Bram

We have been in airports where dogs, on leashes with handlers, walk up and down the lines of passengers sniffing for drugs.
Old July 19th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Long Tall Sally

Default Re: Re: Sniffing Dogs

Thank you both. LTS
Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:33 PM
Sue Sue

Long Tall,
From what I have seen the security dogs are kept well under control. These brilliant animals are so focused on their job that they appear not to be bothered by anyone but thier handlers. I understand you have a fear of dogs, but I would say that you do not have to worry . If you do come across the dogs while they are working, and most likely you won't , just stand aside until they are finished.