CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   dramamine for teens (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/296463-dramamine-teens.html)

Diana July 20th, 2003 01:44 PM

dramamine for teens

My daughters (13,15) get headaches when riding in the car. we are cruising the Sky to Alaska on 8/9 so I am trying to figure out which type of Dramamine to get them. Is the non-drowsy formula more effective or less effective than the drowsy formula? We have tried wristbands with limited success to combat the headaches. They also get queasy if they have not eaten before riding in the car. I think they will spend a lot of the cruise sipping ginger ale...

Lisa July 20th, 2003 01:55 PM

Re: dramamine for teens

The non-drowsy formula is just as good as the original formula.

cantwaittogo July 20th, 2003 02:29 PM

I just returned from a cruise and I used the patch. I got it from my doctor. Did not have to see him they just called it in. I get car sick and the patch was great. I never had any problems at all.

PJ July 21st, 2003 12:41 PM

YOu might want to consider ginger pills. Ginger is better at preventing motion sickness and it will not make you drowsy. They're cheap, so as an experiment, you might by some and take them on a car ride before eating. I swear it sounds too simple to be true, but it works like a charm.

LisaK July 28th, 2003 10:59 AM

Re: Re: dramamine for teens

totally agree with the Ginger Pills. Another option is to buy crystalized ginger in a candy form, tastes great and works really well.- the kids might take better to that than taking "medicine" in a pill form

Dina July 30th, 2003 06:12 PM

I have always gotten motionsickness when ever I have ridden in cars, planes, or boats. I have taken bonine which is over the counter medicine for motion sickness for the last two cruises, and it has worked like a charm. dramamine makes me sick to my stomach.

Bonni March 14th, 2004 06:15 PM

How many ginger pills and how often?

Pete March 16th, 2004 09:15 AM

Car sickness............. I used to suffer from this terribly as a child.......... until one day my parents tried a remedy which worked for me every time. Sit on a pile of newspapers about 2 inches thick. You need to cover the newspapers with a cloth to stop the print rubbing off onto your clothes.

If I went without the newspapers, I was sick as a dog. Back with the newspapers - no problem.

Eventually I grew out of the car sickness (I don't need newspapers anymore!!!!)

Give it a try.............

Pete :o)

Flower March 23rd, 2004 02:17 PM

Hi, I just returned from a cruise on the Grand Princess, this was our second cruise. For the first cruise, I became seasick and took dramamine (I was 40). It made me feel different and not right, but alleviated the seasickness. This time I took Bonine (Bonamine in Canada), 25mg Meclizine dosage, two tablets; available right off the shelf. It worked beautifully. I felt great the whole cruise. I even gave one tablet nightly to my eleven year old, and he felt great with no side effects whatsoever. Therefore, I believe it will work for your teens for their quesiness and perhaps for their headaches because it is also used for vertigo and inner ear problems; since these are head-related I would think it would help. good luck.

Carissa April 1st, 2004 04:42 PM

Does anyone know if you can drink alcoholic beverages when utilizing the Patch for seasickness?

mad-hatter July 11th, 2004 10:59 PM

give 'em about 12-16 pills of original dramamine... they'l be great. I mean, they won't even need the plane and they'll be outside the window waving at you. Trust me. }: )

DAR July 14th, 2004 10:56 PM

The nondrowsy dramamine and bonnie are the same medication. The original dramamine tends to make most peple very tired. Taking ginger works for some people alone and helps some when used with bonnie. There are also anti nausa meds that the dr can perscribe in case she gets real sick, these also tend to make you drowsy but when you feel that rotten sleep is a good thing. I would avoid the patch as the side effects can be severe. It is actually banned in many European counties.

Darcy July 15th, 2004 03:20 PM

I took bonine for the first time during our last cruise and found I preferred it over the dramamine. No problems with drowsiness or dry mouth.

DeeDee August 7th, 2004 06:35 PM

Hi! Don't know if you'll get this cause I just saw the message but a couple of years ago I went on my first cruise. I had put it off with everyone cause of my problem with motion sickness I've had since I can remember. Coming from Hawaii, I traveled alot interisland and was constantly sick, even just traveling cross town. Anyway, I got patches from my doctor and was afraid to try it. So I decided to go with the Dramamine non-drowsy. I took one on our drive up to the port, 12 hours later, I took another, and every 12 hours I took one. It worked like a charm! One a rough seas day, I took an extra half and it calmed me right down. We took the Alaska cruise too. My motherinlaw took generic Meclizine but not enough since the dose is only half of a regular dramamine. The others with us didn't take anything cause they were being tough so they all were bedridden for awhile. I had a great time enjoying quiet time for myself on deck. But like some meds, try it out to see if there is a reaction before taking. Bonine is great too but I'm a Dramamine non drowsy person and totally sold!
Have a great trip!

Dorothy September 4th, 2004 11:12 PM

Actually Dar, Bonine and Dramamine *aren't* the same at all. Bonine is meclizine and dramamine is dimenhydrinate.

tomm October 15th, 2004 09:01 PM

Try this, it worked for me.....go to Walgreen's or any pharmacy and ask for their "Sea-Bands". Its a hard plastic nodule that is on an elastic band. Its placed over your wrist with the nodule pressing on the underside of your wrist on your medial nerve area. I was in 15 ft seas last May on the Carribean Princess and they worked like a charm!! Took 'em off just once, and in 5 mins began to get queasy!

tomm October 15th, 2004 09:05 PM

OOPS! Sorry, missed the part where u already tried em...sorry they dont work for them!

Brandt Zutphen June 9th, 2005 04:55 AM

Re: dramamine for teens Vs. The Patch

Dear Friends:

The Trans-Scopolomine patch does work very well for most, but can have severe side effects...stick with the pills. For those that prefer the patch, remember that it is a Belladonna Alcoloid...IE...it is to some degree a Psycho-Active drug that can cause temporary impairment of the Central Nervous System. Also, USE EXTREME CAUTION and drink only moderate amounts of alcohol if using the patch! Scopolomine can and WILL cause a serious reaction if you "over use" alcohol, up to and including Psychosis, siezures, Renal System Failure and death. There is a Reason that is is by prescription only from a properly trained and licenced physician. DO review your complete medical history if considering asking the Dr. to prescribe you "the patch".

Trust me on this guys...my first Companion was a retired Physician, so I know what I am talking about, Any Belladonna based compound is a VERY serious drug that you do not want to "play" with.

Brandt