CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   swollen feet (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/296472-swollen-feet.html)

Lottie Da September 20th, 2003 03:44 PM

swollen feet

Can anyone please tell me why, every cruise I go on, my feet swell? I have been told there is salt in the drinking water.

Melania September 22nd, 2003 04:28 PM

Re: swollen feet

I get this problem as well but it only happens on a cruise. I limit my food, alcohol and I do not stay in the sun all day like I used to. I drink a ton of water and it seemed to help.

Nanatravel October 15th, 2003 02:28 PM

I too get this malady severly but only when I cruise. I have tried to eliminate salt completely on a cruise, but it does no good. I do not salt food nor eat particularly salty type foods. Salt is natural even in water. I too drink plenty of water day and night. I have found that wearing sneakers with cotton socks during the day helps constrict the swelling. I have to bring elasic straped sandals or my shoes would never fit. It only takes a day or two when I get home and the swelling is gone.

LisaK October 16th, 2003 01:15 PM

Its a combination of rich food, alcohol, sun and maybe not being as active as you are at home. Drink lots of water, grapefruit or cranberry juices (natural direutics), limit your alcohol intake, get up and get moving, and ask your MD about using either and OTC direutic or a prescription if its really bad.

PamH October 24th, 2003 08:04 PM

Re: Re: swollen feet

One thing that always works for me (besides all the great advice about limiting your salt intake, sodas, and drinking lots of plain water) is a small spray bottle filled with witch hazel. You can add a few drops of lavendar or peppermint essential oil to it. Just spray your feet with the witch hazel spray. It feels great and makes your feet smell better! You can even spray it over your stockings!

Stuart October 24th, 2003 09:31 PM

A lot of people's feet swell because the ship moves...when the ship moves blood "leaves" your feet and goes mostly to your brain and your equilibrium area. People who get seasickness, suffer mostly because there is an imbalance of blood and pressure within their equilibrium area. What does this have to do with feet swelling? Well as blood rushes to your head and fuels your heart and equilibrium, your brain and heart then realizes a shortage of blood bellow your abdomen. When it sences and imbalance it may then send a surge of blood to your feet which in turn makes your feet swell and possibly irritable. This may go on for several days untill your brain reaches a constant ration of blood through out your body. Although im only 16, I learned this from my internship and the neurology department at Rockdal Hospital. Hope this answers the swollen feet and sea sickness question!

Stuart October 24th, 2003 09:33 PM

And yes, drinking plenty of water will open your blood vessles and make your brain and heart's job easier, it will not solve the swollen foot problem.

HannaS77 December 18th, 2003 04:15 PM

Many, many years ago I complained to the "surgeon" on a Princess cruise ship that my feet were swelling up. In those days the ship's doctor on Englisn ship was called "the Surgeon" He recommended that during the night I keep my feet elevated by placing the life vest under the mattress portion where my feet rested. I swear it works with me.
Another suggestion is to ask for a low salt or salt free diet.

You might take ask you doctor if you can get relief usingretics such as dyazide or eqal.

Since I am not a doctor cannot give you medical advic; only infom you what has helped me while at sea aboard a cruise ship.

Often water retention that causes swollen feet is due to the food served containing too much sodium.

ssatterly April 18th, 2004 08:22 PM

You know the DRINKING water on the ship IS sea water just distilled so it could be due to ALOT of salt in the water.. Salt does cause water retension and water weight gain in the feet and in other not so obvious places as well. I know this info due to the fact i work in the healt care feild.

melania April 21st, 2004 04:58 AM

Thanks for the good point, I never thought of that at all. It sure does make a lot of sense!

Lisa April 23rd, 2004 06:33 PM

Just an FYI - the ship on the water is distilled and desalinated (the sodium removed) - it is purer than the water you drink at home from your tap. It is NOT the cause of swollen feet.

ssatterly April 24th, 2004 09:17 AM

LISA: Are you in the medical feild? THEY CAN NOT TAKE ALL OF THE SALT OUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. Yes it does go through alot to be cleaned but there is NO way to get it all out. I have studied this in my job line.

Jo Glenn July 20th, 2004 05:15 PM

I drink distilled water and I know that if it's steam distilled then all of the impurities are removed. Period.
Hey ssatterly: If you use CAPS it means you're yelling, is there a reason you needed to yell at Lisa?

katya September 20th, 2004 01:42 PM

Hi, I use Elemis Instant Refreshing Gel and it really does work, it feels great and reduces the swelling, I won't cruise without it now.

Nanci November 7th, 2004 08:56 PM

Re: Re: swollen feet

Katya: What is this refreshing gel and where do I purchase it?? Please e-mail me directly as I do not check this topic too often.

SoCalGal January 16th, 2005 12:35 AM

Swollen feet (edema) can be caused by lack of movement, too much sun, dehydration, too much salt, too much alcohol and or coffee. Remember that alcohol and coffee are very dehydrating. Drink plenty of water and beverages such as cranberry juice, try to keep feet up when resting and take frequent walks around the deck. This works well and helps to prevent other problems such as kidney stones and backaches.

Nyla January 22nd, 2005 12:55 PM

I only get this if I spend alot of time in the ocean. It's from the salt water. Last time it took 4 days to go away.

HaleyC February 8th, 2005 06:56 PM

You CAN remove all of the salt from water, how else would chemists do their experiments? Most of the water on the planet has salt in it. I have worked in labs in college doing experiments that depend on the water being as close to 100% pure as possible. Many chemical reactions will NOT take place if the reagent is contaminated with anything, including salt. That being said many reagents are diluted with water to make different molarities (M) ie 110 M hydrochloric acid vs. 2 M hydrochloric acid. How do you decrease M? add water.

Haley
I pick up pennies.

DAVID TAYLOR February 10th, 2005 11:26 PM

HAVE YOU TRIED A LEG AND FOOT MASSAGE...
COULD BE THE AMOUNT OF OXYGEN IN THE BLOOD STREAM IS CAUSING THE EDIMA REACTION YOU SEEM TO EB HAVING...

I AM A MASSAGE THERAPIST...PRIVATE PRACTICE...