Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:24 PM
TexasRick

Default Meds in weekly pill box...

I take 31 pills a day and i keep my meds in order in a weekly pill box.......will it be ok to bring my meds on cruise this away?
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2003, 04:12 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Meds in weekly pill box...

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!! - keep your meds in their original containers in your carry-on luggage. Bring your pill box empty - fill it when you are on the cruise ship.
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:31 PM
TxRick

I have a concern w/ this because some of my med bottles are extremely large,,,,and they will take up needed packing room. If I bring my meds in a weekly pill box ,will I not be allowed to get on the ship? We are driving to the port so airlines are not an issue.
Old October 8th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Admiral

if your meds are not in their original prescription containers and immigration or security decides to check your bags, you could end up in jail. Since you have to take so much medicine, i would pack them in their own bag. If you take a narcotic its a good idea to have a prescription receipt.
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Meds in weekly pill box...

I always take my meds in their weekly box, BUT, I do carry a zip loc with all the original bottles......that way, if anyone has any questions, they can check the bottles.
Old October 17th, 2003, 02:45 PM
New2This

meds in pill box are ok..i called carnival
Old October 18th, 2003, 10:27 AM
p.g.

Default Re: Re: Meds in weekly pill box...

New2this, Carnival, or any cruise line for that matter, is NOT the issue. It is customs and immigration that will intercept and question any DRUGS coming in or out of a country. A person may be lucky and slip through no problem, but they could also be the "one" that gets pulled out of line and searched and technically ALL prescription drugs are to be in there original containers. It's not worth taking a chance on your vacation. As I've stated it really has nothing to do with the cruise line, and anyone who wants the correct information should contact the department of Customs and Immigration, its everyones responsiblily to know the laws regarding what they can and cannot do.
Old October 19th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Rustyfan2

Perhaps you can ask your pharmacist to make up individual smaller "labeled" empty bottles for you to place your meds for the week into, so that you don't have to carry so many "large" bottles. You still will end up with 31 bottles, but maybe be overall size can be made more managable. It is also extremely important that any meds that are considered a controlled substance, they MUST be in their original container. You do not want to be caught transporting controlled substances across state & country lines without proper documentation.
Old December 5th, 2003, 09:30 PM
jamie gunter

I never thought about that, we always take a pill box.
I do keep my husbands drugs in their boxes because
of them being injections. We dont carry more than
two weeks worth though, but I think I will carry them
in the original containers now. Stick with the pill box
for vitamins and sudafed, etc...
Old December 6th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Yeoman

Some of the bottles are pretty big. I usually use a pill box because it's easier to take the medication this way.

Can I bring a copy of the prescriptions that I get from my mail-in ordering? This paperwork explains exactly what each medicine is and if I label the pill box accordingly, will this work?
Old December 7th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

In over 25 cruises, I've never seen anyone questioned or detained because of prescriptions. I cruised before and after major knee surgery earlier this year and had several painkillers and antibiotics with me. I kept one "set" of pills for the number of days in one bag and another "set" in a different bag -just in case one got lost or fell in the water. One set had original bottles, the other set in a 7 day pill box.

I don't think the average cruise passenger fits the profile of a serial drug smuggler. I may be naive (don't think so), but I wouldn't worry about anyone questioning any prescription medications.
Old December 7th, 2003, 08:46 AM
sls

Has anyone actually seen anyone detained because of a pill box. Between my husband and I one of us always gets searched and no one has ever commented on our pill boxes. I had diabetic testing supplies with me a few times and although they were scrutinized nothing was said.

sls
Old December 25th, 2003, 08:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Late hubby was on 12 different perscriptions meds. Both of us took/take take 6 vitamin/supplements/day. For the perscriptions, including syringes, we ALWAYS had them in a pharmacy labeled container and carried a Dr. letter since we absolutly need to have them in our carry-ons. For the over the counter stuff we always took them in the original but usually opened bottles. Do you want to depend on some GED level TSA employee recognizing a vitamin C or E pill? Not Me!!! Hubby almost had a $2000 lighter confiscated because the flame was higher than a disposable Bic. Luckily, the supervisor was a smoker, recognized the lighter/manufacturer and let us pass. Needless to say, since we have always only carried disposable lighters since, but that is the mentality. I don't even carry a 39 cent walgreens nail file, just pack it. i am a microbiologist with a chemistry minor. If I want to do the nasty a 39 cent file would be the least lethal item in my luggage. But the "book" is the Book for these civil service emplyees and they can not get in trouble if they "follow the written rules". Can you imagine a cuticle scissors being a lethal weapon? Some have been confiscated. If you have any dobts carry a Dr. kletter or pack it in checked luggage. The TSA staff have NEVER read the on-line rules. Be prepared.
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Beginner

Go to your pharmacy with a list of the meds you'll be taking with you and ask the pharmacist for smaller labelled bottles. They'll be happy to help.
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:39 PM
adam childs

Also ask your dr for an extra prescription for the length of your trip and put it in a pocket on yourself that way if something does happen you can always either get more one way or another or if you are un well they know what you are on. Kill two birds with one stone.

Also, never , never just put a pill in your pocket that you are going to take while you are on an excursion- remember some pills for instance in the UK codeineis over the counter to some extent but in the US is only by prescription.

When in doubt be extra cautious
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:59 AM
jamiegunter

Check with your pharmacy and see if you can get some smaller bottles with
your prescription info on them for traveling. I am sure they would do that for ya
Old April 10th, 2004, 06:26 AM
lysolqn

We always travel with our pills in weekly pill boxes and have never had a problem.

Ask your doctor's office to give you a list of the medications you take by name and dosage on a sheet of the doctor's prescription pad. Carry that with you and show that in the unlikely event you are questioned about your stash of pills.