CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   DENTIST ON SHIPS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/296477-dentist-ships.html)

New2This October 14th, 2003 05:56 PM

DENTIST ON SHIPS

On Carnival do they have dentists on board in case of dental emergencies?

Stuart November 2nd, 2003 12:02 AM

Re: DENTIST ON SHIPS

i dont recall hearing of one.....i extremely doubt they'd have one

belgique November 14th, 2003 12:34 AM

New2This: Just returned from Holland America's Maasdam for 2 weeks and had occasion to visit the infimary for the headcold from hell (probably from the plane). There was a sign that said, "Dentist available by appointment", with a phone number.

On a Princess cruise a few years ago, a friend lost a filling at dinner and told the head waiter. Within minutes, a dentist appeared at our table and made arrangement for an appointment the next morning. Didn't appear as if he was employed as a permanent part of the staff, but perhaps a vacationing dentist who made arrangements with the line to be on duty in exchange for a free cruise - not sure how it worked, but he fixed up my friend in a jiffy. The equipment was adequate, probably not state of the art, but it worked.

With between 700 and 1,000 crew members with long contracts, there must be someone on board at all times to deal with dental problems.

Don't stress - enjoy!

Bon Voyage!

Sari January 11th, 2004 07:59 PM

I think there are because my dentist told me that he was offered a job on a cruise ship. He turned it down because he found out that a dental plan is part of the crew's benefits, and a majority of his time would have been spent working on the crew's teeth..

Anna March 16th, 2004 02:02 PM

I just came back from a cruise with HAL (ms Ryndam) - and YES there was a dentist on board that ship. They were even advertising teeth whitening (2 hours and a brighter / whiter smile) :)

shawna March 23rd, 2004 01:50 PM

wow ppl asks about anything and everything. lol dentist on ships? lol

cruiseprincess0162 July 4th, 2004 09:31 PM

We were on the oosterdam 3 weeks ago and i met the dentist onboard. His family came onboard that week and i was really good friends with his son. So yes there is.
Jenna

Robie July 19th, 2004 07:23 AM

Not on my last cruise. Lost a filling and suffered.

CalifGirl51 July 24th, 2004 01:41 AM

My family and I went on the Radiance a few months ago and my mom got a horrible toothache and they did not have a dentist on board. The regular doc told my mom to go see a dentist at the next port. Just a word of advice I would only go to the doctor on board only if you have an extreme emergency, because it costs us $250 for 8 pain pills.

paul8491 November 20th, 2012 07:23 PM

Do you know any cruise ship that hires a dentist?

Mike M November 20th, 2012 09:32 PM

Cruise lines do not employ dentists on their vessels. Only medical doctors. Dental work must be done in port, from a private dentist.

Take care,
Mike

Bruce Chafkin1 November 27th, 2012 12:06 PM

As mentioned previously, HAL USED to employ dentists onboard.
They were the last cruise line to do so, and stopped doing it around 2007.

Most cruise lines have special arrangements with shoreside dentists, and can set up last-minute appointments for you at the next port.