Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Terrible Rash

Last year on our cruise, I broke out in a terrible bumpy rash within the hour after getting into the swimming pool filled with sea water. I have gotten it before at the beach and believe it is a textbook picture of "Swimmer's Itch" caused by microorganisms in sea water. It appears only under the area covered by a swimsuit and itches like you wouldn't believe! I suffered all week finally going to the infirmary for Benadryl. Has anyone ever had this and has anything worked to prevent it?
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:27 AM
BC Cruiser

Default Re: Terrible Rash

It happens in local lakes for me. Shower off immediately after getting out of the pool/lake whatever then towel off as best as you can.
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Bop - it could be Sea Lice. I have a friend that his happened to and oral antihistamines like Benadryl and topical ointments like hydrocortisone were helpful but it did take quite a while for the effects of the rash to dissipate.

BC Cruiser gave some good advice above, but if or when this happens again, don't wait to go to the infirmary - go right away and try and nip the problem in the bud.

Old February 28th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Passenger

I agree with Lisa, sounds like Sea Lice to me. I know they make a suncreen/sea lice repellent type thing that my neighbor ordered online. Not too sure if it works, but I will try to find out the link from her and post it for you.
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Cruisingbear

Hey,
We honeymooned at an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica last year. My husband had a rash
on his feet. The itching was unbearable. We saw the resort nurse for Benedryl and she
would not comment on the cause. It is great to finally have some idea of what caused
the rash and ways to prevent it. Thanks.........
Happy Sailing...........................
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Passenger

I finally found the link for the sea lice preventive. As i said, i don't know if it works, but i guess it couldn't hurt either. they have creams with sunscreen and without. Hope it helps.
Gina B.
http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.a...d=598&AID=7609
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Stoffy Cat

Bop-
Hi, I believe your rash may have been caused by "Sea Lice" yes it sounds gross but I guess it is actually like little jellyfish particals that look like black pepper flakes. Most irritation occurs because your bathing suit will rub against these little critters causing them to sting you. You can do a search on the internet for "Sea Lice" and you will find alot of info on it. I just purchased on-line (for my cruise in May) a sunscreen called "Safe Sea" with an SPF of 30. It is the only product guaranteed to stop you from getting stung by these little things. You can order it at www.dermadoctor.com. I am getting it just to be on the safeside !! Please do an internet "search" for sea lice and read up on it !!! Hope this info helps as this was news to me !
-Stoffy Cat
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:50 PM
First Mate

Sea Lice are nasty little devils.. see actual picture under mic of a sea lice.

Old June 5th, 2004, 10:51 PM
First Mate

here is the pic..
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:52 PM
First Mate

Here is a good product to use.

Old June 12th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Nyla

If you get any kind of rash you can always try hydrocortisone cream. And for itchy skin, calamine or caladryl lotion.
Old June 13th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

MOM - sure is an ugly little bugger! lol

Old June 21st, 2004, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Really ugly!...

no sea lice for me..
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Thanks all...yes, I am thinking sea lice is what it is...I have heard of Safe Sea and think I will order some. I talked to my Dr about it but he wouldn't offer anything except told me to take Clariten a few days before going.

If anyone knows if the Safe Sea really works, I would appreciate hearing some info.

Old July 20th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Terrible Rash

If you think it was from sea water, you might want to try Princess Cruises next time. They have fresh water pools, open 24/7..
I had a similar problem one time, which fully bloomed at night. I thought I'd go crazy with the itching...............finally remembered reading an article about tea being soothing. We were at a condo at the beach and had tea bags. I sat up half the night slopping tea all over myself............it really helped. That's just an FYI in case anyone else is in the same boat, with no antihistimine available.