Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:46 PM
PeggyGA

Default Still Spinning

I have a question...

I have been debarked (arf, arf) for four days. I am still experiencing many dizzy spells every day. This was my first long cruise (7 nights, my previous was 3). Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for your help!
~Peggy~

03-21-2004 Rhapsody of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM
leavensunday

Default Re: Still Spinning

I too am still struggling with dizzy spells. Were you on Inspiration? I know the seas were very rough-but man, I thought I would be over this by now!!! It's strange, kindof like being drunk!!!
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
PeggyGA

Yes, exactly...kind of like being drunk...weird. We were on Rhopsody out of Galveston with some rought seas also. Too weird!
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:10 PM
leavensunday

I read someplace that if you move your head back and forth or get on a swing and swing back and forth, it contradicts themotion of the ship (side to side) and causes the fluid in your inner ear to go back to normal. I'm afraid I looked rather strange earlier today at work looking like an 80's head banger!!!! But honestly, it really did help a little bit!!!! Pam
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

It happened to me last two years. Took about 1-2 weeks to stop.

Darcy
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Beginner

This is my secound day off the ship and I can still feel the rocking motion, It is driving me crazy. Did anybody find a cure or do you just have to wait it out?

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

If you just keep taking the Bonine or whatever you may have taken for sea sickness, would this help this feeling go away?

Old October 24th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Beginner

Me too...
i got off Sapphire Princess yesterday and I can't do anything for the last 2 days. I have this horrible headache. Is this normal?
Old October 24th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Beginner

Me too...
i got off Sapphire Princess yesterday and I can't do anything for the last 2 days. I have this horrible headache. Is this normal?
Old October 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Me too...
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rockingal

For some people this feeling lasts a shor time and goes away. For a select few after being on a boat, plane or in car this feeling get longer every time. We are not crazy or making this up it is a documented vestibular syndrome.

There is a rare syndrome that is becoming more common as cruising increases. A person takes month or year to get their "sea legs" back after a cruise, boat ride, or even an airplane trip. Many of us have had this syndrome for years after taking a cruise. If you feel a rocking, swaying, or bobbing motion, imbalance, and fatigue and have difficulty concentrating every day, all day, you probably have this.
This is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDs). If you need information email me or contact me or type in Mal de Debarquement into Google. A lot of people feel like they are going crazy when the rocking doesn't stop for weeks or months and this actual effects your ability to think and speak for most people, in some degree. We are trying to increase awareness of this syndrome and let people know what they have. I have had this for over two years after a cruise. I have had other shorter episodes after boat rides and cruises.

It is true that other types of vertigo are similar to this syndrome, but many doctors have never heard of this. Most of the people in our support group (yahoo) self-diagnosed and had to print out Medical articles (Dr. Timothy Hain) to take to our own doctors. I am just trying to get the word out that there is such a syndrome for the people who are struggling with this. I had this after my first cruise for 1.5 years; it went away in one day. I went on a 2nd cruise 6 months later and now have had it 24/7, for 2 years and 4 months, not fun. We have over 100 people in our support group and some have had it over 14 years. They cannot work or function normally. Some drugs are helpful for different people. But it helps to get ideas on treatments and coping skills.

Here's some web sites: www.earaces.com/maldedebarquement.htm
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/d...ntral/mdd.html

We have a great support group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdds_support/
Good luck to all that have this.
Rockingal

Old December 24th, 2004, 08:49 PM
MSSAGE

Default Re: Re: Still Spinning

DID YOU NORMALLY GET HEADACHES, WHAT DID YOU TAKE WHILE TRAVELING AND AFTER? I HAVE A UPCOMING CRUISE ON THE SAME SHIP, THE AGENT TOLD ME CRUISES TO ALASKA, SEAS ARE LESS ROUGH. I HOPE SO, I GET A HEADACHE IN ALOT OF SITUATIONS AND WOULD HATE TO HAVE A HEADACHE AND SEA SICKNESS ON THIS CRUISE OR AFTER. WHAT DID YOU DO TO GET RID OF THE HEADACHES. I'M TAKING 4-5 DAYS AFTER THE CRUISE TO R/R AS I'M TAKING MY 9 YR OLD SON WITH ME. I THINK I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE TAKING EXTRA TIME OFF. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP(SO TO SPEAK) DIANE
Old December 26th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Get a life all of you, there is no such syndrome. Just go on your cruise, they spend millions on stabilisers and they work.

If you appear to have such a "in your own head" condition then you brought it on board and it did not appear because you went on a ship.

Example: "If I climb ladders or bend down too quick I feel"....whatever. The same people will say that for whatever reason in life, but they dont normally have a ship to blame

Not the ships fault, its your own personal thing, get over it

Post Edited (12-26-04 14:26)
Old December 27th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rockingal

Dear David,
I hate to pop your uninformed medical-opinion balloon, but Mal De Debarquement
is a reality. Do a search of the medical literature and you will discover that
the syndrome has been around for a long time. Granted that it is rare, as are
many vestibular disorders, yet it does effect a small number of women, primarily
of middle age. The physiological causes have yet to be discovered and are an
area of current research (see Dr. Richard Hain's research) The physical and
cognative symptoms vary in severity and duration, yet for some can be quite
debilitating.

I'll wager that every sufferer of MDDS would be tickled if the "in your
head" diagnosis was true, since psychological counseling would be a viable
alternative to the suffering they experience, yet that has not proven to be a
workable cure.

Bye the way, what exactly are your medical credentials? Or are you just some
ill informed layman who presumes that a disorder you never heard of and don't
understand, must be mental. History is full of physical disorders that at that
point in time had no known causes, and were therefore presumed to be "all
in the suffers head," yet after scientific study were found to be real and
treat-able.

Our understanding of causes and cures of vertigo (for example) are still in
their infancy, yet progress is being made. I assume you know that they have
discovered drugs to alleviate symptoms of epilepsy and psychosis once thought
to be incurable and "in the patients head."

In any case, your "letter of sympathy" was noted, as well as your
obvious lack of knowledge on the subject upon which you issued your blanket
condemnation of those who suffer from Mal De Debarquement.

You wouldn't work for the cruise lines by chance? That might explain your
needless attack on my wife and others who have this syndrome. My wife's purpose
in posting messages was to simply inform others who might be suffering from this
disorder that what they may be experiencing is not unknown in the medical
literature and that there are qualified physicians and support groups that offer
positive suggestions to improve the quality of their lives. I'm sorry you
somehow feel threatened by this simple exchange of information. If it still
bothers you then simply put it out of your mind, move on with your presumably
healthy life and count your blessings.

Sincerely yours,

Dr. Kurt Strand
Thrombosis and Platelet Research
University of Washington
Old December 27th, 2004, 02:43 PM
DavyB

What can I say good doctor only two points

One you went personal by emailing me your abuse direct,,,how you got my email address I dont know but the content and words I will not share, disgraceful.

The effort to do this must have been so great,,,why? That says something about you as an individual.

Two, its personal again as your motive is your wife appears to suffer from it.

Re your last paragraph, and this makes it a "bull post" dear Doctor Kurt,, who is your wife out of all these posts above?

I can only find one that has the same POP as yours that is on here asking questions.

It does not add up!!! Put it this way,,, if my wife suffered from this then she would not have to post on message boards for the answer if she had someone as qualified as you to give the answer.
Old December 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM
KurtS

The only thing I can say in response to DavyB is get a life yourself. You seem to delight in attacking anyone who has complaints about motion problems after a cruise, while offering nothing constructive. As far as taking things personal...well, yes we do take it personal. "Get a life, there is no such syndrome" is a bit personal, and more importantly incorrect, as I pointed out the syndrome is called Mal de Debarquement. Did you make a minimal effort to check this out? This is a forum to exchange information and assist other people with health complaints and that's all my wife was doing.

As far as my taking extraordinary efforts to "find you" , there is nothing insidious here, I simply pushed the reply button in my wife's email program. You do realize that the forum forwards the postings through email? The more important question is why you would bother to attack people exchanging ideas. What is your personal agenda? I note you didn't answer the question about whether you work for the cruise lines? Speaking of "bull posts", yours may be an actual "ringer post."

As far as "things not adding up" because I'm a doctor and could therefore answer my wifes questions, I can only repeat that vestibular disorders are rare and are not a top research priority in terms of funding At this point the scientists conducting the reserach have not discovered the physiological causes, nor have they identified any genuine treatments. This is an area of current research and I should point out, not my area of research (as you should have noted at the bottom of the email/post).

If you should wish to carry on with this silly exchange then let me know and I'll give you my email address (and the email addresses of some researchers in the field), but in the mean time why don't you spare all the forum people your negative "just get over it" postings. They really don't help anyone.

sincerely,

Doctor Kurt
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Admiral

No I'm not a Doctor or a TA, but you need to chill man. Ask one of you "head" colleagues to read your post again,,,,,phew.

Glad your not my doc,,oh dear
Old January 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM
carolina rocker

If the dizziness goes away in a few days, then you are experiencing what is a normal reaction for many people. If it lasts as much as three weeks, I would be very aware of taking another cruise. There is a syndrome called "mal de debarquement" which is rather rare, but can disable some people for years. Many doctors confuse this with vertigo and sometimes it is difficult to diagnose. There is currently no known cure, and some people do have remissions only to get the syndrome again. Actually, what we experience is more of a rocking feeling or a feeling of disequilibrium rather than dizziness. Sea-sickness meds do no good. One sure-fire test: Do you feel normal while in a car, only to have difficulty walking when getting out of a car.

For more information see: http://wwwnhffoundations.net/MdDS

carolinarocker