Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Default VERY fair skin and sunburning...What's a girl to do.

I need some help. i am a red head so as you guessed I ama VERY fair skined girl. I burn in only 20 min in the sun.. and thats in Kentucky. I am going to the Western Carribean. I need help what should I do to try to protect my skin? Please help.... Susie
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
jerry j

Default Re: VERY fair skin and sunburning...What's a girl to do.

LOTS of Sunscreen, and don't forge to reapply. I am a few years older than you, but yes..its worse for us redheads. HAVE FUN we are doing Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas May 23 to 30...
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Admiral

I am 28 and Burn VERY easy. Got any good brands of sunscreen in mind? Y+Thanks again Susie
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:58 AM
jamiegunter

If you want to look tan, you can go to a salon and get the spray on tan. The best one is
were someone airbrushes it on you, instead of the machine. Then use the highest sunblock you can find. They make pretty high spf now.
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Susie

I'm a redhead and live in NH. I also burn easily. About four weeks before my cruise I start "tanning" at a tanning salon. I then use factor 30-45 waterproof suntan lotion which I keep reappling all day. If you can try to stay out of the sun from about 11:30 -2:30 and make sure you bring a hat with a broad brim and some sort of a light weight coverup. I've had good luck with not burning doing all of the above.

Darcy
Old April 10th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Which of the two above opins are better?
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:28 PM
jamiegunter

If you burn in the sun, you are gonna burn in the tannning bed. I use
to work in a tanning salon. You could try the tanning bed, just start out
very slow like 3 to 5 min first couple of times. THe salon will be able to
councel you better. The airbrush tan is nice, no damage to your skin.
You can always go with a self tanner bought at local store. Good Luck
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Admiral

now with self tanner and airbrushing does that help you not brun when in the sun?
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:48 AM
bonnie CORNS

I agree with the tanning beds. I am medium skin color and always use the tan beds before a vacation. I do not want to burn the first day of my vacation and they have to stay out of the sun for the next few days. With a base tan, this will stop you from burning, of course you still have to use sun screen.

Tanning and only 14 days till I cruise in Hawaii
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:54 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

If you are VERY fair skinned, dont even bother with the tanning beds. I am very much like you seem to be and I will not tan. I went in the tanning bed every other day for a month before I went to Cancun last year and my color didnt change a bit. I just slathered on the sunscreen a few time each day and I was fine. However, if you are going to snorkel or anything, be sure to get environmental safe sunscreen. You can get it at any health food or organic store. Its the same stuff, just doenst kill the coral.
Amazingly, I didnt burn at all the whole week I was out in the sun. Its all about the suncreen!

Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:04 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to shubaby

i think bull frog is the best!
i am dark skinned, i don't burn but my little girl does, we use bull frog 38 on her. it is alcohol based, last all day. works very well!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:37 PM
clo

I read an article recently by a dermatologist. She said the higher the SPF the better and to apply VERY liberally. One product that she recommended is Coppertone Spectra with an SPF of 50. I used it recently prior to a round of golf. Afterwards I had NO tan line so obviously it worked. I don't know if your goal is to not burn or to protect your skin. If the latter, then I would recommend maximum sunscreen and no tanning bed.
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Here....Again

SPF50 or 60 (get one of the baby sunscreens for highest SPF) and apply it to exposed areas every 2-3 hours out of the water, more often when in the water. Wear a T-shirt over your swimsuit to minimize your exposure. If you are just shopping or touring, wear a white 3/4 length gauzy blouse over a tank-top, and gauzy capris instead of shorts. Keds instead of sandals. Bring a hat. Cover up a bit more, but with cool clothing.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:28 PM
Admiral

they make spf60? Wow I have to get some of that

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
clo

The best I've found - I live in a smallish town - is SPF50. But I've found that the Coppertone Spectra spf 50 is gentle enough that I can use it on my face which is pretty sensitive to some products. I grew up in the South many, many years ago and it took me a long time (and moving to San Franciso in my late 20s) to realize that tan skin isn't only unhealthy, it isn't attractive either. I have a couple of friends my age - mid 50s - who grew up in So. Calif. and their skin has really taken a beating appearance-wise.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:34 PM
Yeoman

I'm a redhed also and did some snorkeling in the Caribbean. My husband is blonde so we both use 45-50 spf sunscreen very generously. We avoid the sun while on the ship. We sit on deck but try to stay in shaded areas. We both wear t-shirts with our bathing suits and hats on shore days. We haven't come home really burned yet.

Luanne

Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Admiral

I like the sun but it does not like me. So I guess I will just smell like one big cocnut from all the sunscreen lol

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm an olive-skinned italian, but my daughter inherited her father's blond, pale irish complexion. She burns amost instantly. When we cruise, she generously applies and reapplies Coppertone Sport SPF 30 (or higher), and almost always wears an oversized T-shirt over her bathing suit, even in the water. The only time this didn't keep her skin from getting burned was in Aruba last August, and to be honest, even I got toasted there.

Old May 17th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Man I wish i had darker skin......It would be sooo much easier.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:13 AM
sOuThErNcHiC

i am a red head to and i always burn except for on my western caribbean cruise last year. put on like 30 SPF sunscreen or higher. and try not to lay out in the sun for hours and try to find some shade when you go on the excursions. i mean i am only 13 and it takes 14 minutes for me to burn but on th ecruise i never did.
hope that works for ya!
Katherine
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:50 AM
NeShea

Coppertone Spectra is FABULOUS!!!!! I live in FL and usually have a tan year round, but my face burns very easily, especially after a day of boogie boarding at the beach. I tend to rub my face after swimming, but the Coppertone Spectra(I use SPF 30) will not come off! I also have very sensitive skin, but the Coppertone Spectra does not burn or sting at all. I may purchase stock in it I love it so much!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:39 PM
BCGIRL

I am a red head and I have freckles. I have never been on a cruise but I burn very easily in the sun anywhere. I find I can go in the tanning beds and after a few weeks I start getting a nice tan. You just have to start slow thats all dont jump the gun on your minutes or you will burn.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Admiral

How many mins should I start out with?
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM
clem

OK---from a 40ish person who has already had 7 skin cancers removed.....THERE IS NO SAFE WAY TO TAN!!!!!! I am a blond, and I have a 10 yr. old redhead...so we buy LOTS of sunscreen. My dermotologist uses and recommends VANICREAM. It has a main ingredient of Titanium Dioxide. It is almost like a Zinc Oxide, but it rubs into your skin, and provides a barrier from the sun. You will not get tan, but you will not get burnt either. Believe me, when we were in Cozumel, the sun seemed to burn right through to my bones, but I kept reappylying this product, and did not even get red! I have found Banana Boat Sport has the same indgredient...just not the same quantity. Wear a hat, a cover-up, and with a good sunscreen...you will be fine! Hope all this helps!
Old September 6th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: VERY fair skin and sunburning...What's a girl to do.

The fake tans don't prevent you from burning. They just color your skin. You'll still need to wear sunscreen in the sun.

Jubilee (1990)
Tropicale (1993)
Imagination (1995)
Dawn Princess (1997)
Triumph (2001)
Pride (2002 and 2003)
Conquest (2004)
Legend (upcoming 2005)
Old September 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM
First Mate

I totally agree with all the sunscreen advice. One thing not to forget even when wearing a hat is say for instance one is reading a book sunrays will reflect and increase the burn possibility (Take it from someone who got burndt with a hat on!)
Second being a golfer, there are many SPF clothes out there now. Try golf shops or outdoor sporting good stores that carry items meant for hiking (outdoor world,galyans, dick's etc.) I also read somewhere that moisturizers with SPF in them will not protect as well as products designed as pure sunscreens. So you still will need more protection.
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:23 PM
JewelsURI

I heard that you are supposed to apply so liberally with sunblock/sunscreen that a bottle should last you around 5 applications, this seems a bit of overkill for me but what do I know? I'm Irish and German and always red.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Passenger

If you never tan in the sun it doesn't make any sense to try and tan in a tanning bed. After having skin cancer removed I did some investigating so I could still snorkel. I would burn no matter what sun block I used. I even burned trough patio umbrellas when I had sun block on. A material has to be rated to actually protect you from sun. Lots of things that you would think would protect you actually do not. Especially when wet - like a cotton t-shirt has no sun protection when wet. I found some sun protecting clothing on the internet and wore the large t-shirt along with a 45 sun block and snorkeled for hours in Peurto Rico. It worked for me and for our 2 redhead kids!!! I never go without it now. Also have large brimmed hat that is rated for sun protection. Lots of stuff out there if you do a search on internet. I can't always find a style I like - wish they would make more. I'm thinking about trying to buy just the material and sew some stuff myself.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
lkean

Rit Dye makes a product that you wash into your clothing. It makes the clothing have a high level of sun protection. I am going on a cruise this summer and I plan to wash my clothes with this. It works best on cotton clothes. I can't think of the name right now. I found it at Joanne's fabric store along with the Rit Dyes. It is recommended by dermatologists or so they say. I hope this helps. It would certainly be cheaper than buying the spf clothing.
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

Im pretty fair, though not a red head. I will say if you do burn the very best sunburn gel is Insurance by California Tan you can buy it at Tanning salons or on line, call around or surf for good prices. It is a blue gel and it contains an ingrediant that takes the RED out of a sunburn so you don't look like a giant lobster. Im bringing it along on my cruise just in case. Also Bull frog or a waterproof Sun Block (not screen) the higher the SPF the better. Make sure you have help applying and don't forget the tops of your feet, ears, etc. Zinc oxide is best for your nose and face it comes in white, colors or clear now. Have a friend help you with your back, and make sure you do all the parts of your body even the ones you think will be covered by your swimsuit as swimsuits can shift. Hats, a good pair of polarized 100% uv Block sunglasses, will help as well. Have a great time, best wishes to you.