Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Dixie Lee

Default Re: Re: Best cure for motion sickness?

Have read several messages about Relief Bands - an FDA-approved device for motion sickness that does not require a prescription. It is a wristband that emits an electromagnetic pulse along the median nerve that blocks the impulses that cause nausea and vomiting and is used for sea sickness, car sickness and other forms of motion sickness without any side effects since it is not a drug. Highly recommended by users according to this and other travel boards. Made by Abbott Laboratories and comes with a 30-day return policy if purchased through AeromedixRx.com. They are pricey ($74.50-$79.00) so we found them on eBay and put in a bid for two of them this morning. Cannot vouch for them yet as we have not used them but they come highly recommended. You might want to consider them if you do not want to take medicine. We have tried both Dramamine and Bonine (Meclizine). We get less drowsy with the Bonine, but still do get a little drowsy, and they do work but we were looking also for something other than a pill. AeromedixRx.com goes into more detail about the Relief Bands and there are a few for sale on eBay.
Dixie Lee
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM
ahill03

Default Re: Re: Re: Best cure for motion sickness?

I get very drowsy with Dramanine so I thought I would try Bonine. We are going on a cruise in March and I though I would try it out before. I took one pill at night last weekend and was extremly tired and "grouchy" the entire next day. So this weekend I took 1/2 a pill and was still very tired the next day. And believe me it does last for 24 hours. So now I am off to the health food store for ginger pills and sea bands. Just want people to know that everyone reacts differently. I am so glad I tried them beforehand or I might have slept right through the cruise !
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:30 PM
islandcruiser

Default Re: Best cure for motion sickness?

I am so glad that I found this post!!! I am not a veteran cruiser, I'm going on my third in April. However, I am going on the Mariner out of Port Canaveral and I have been hearing how rough the water is out of that port. I am alittle nervous about this and was wondering what I should do or bring. I am not usually a big drinker, but hey, this is my vacation and I do like to have a few. So....that became a big factor in what I could take. I guess that my best bet seems to be to bring Bonine, wrist bands and keep my fingers crossed!
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM
First Mate

Wore the patch but it made my eyes dialate so that I couldn't see my watch, much less the dinner menu and it made my mouth so dry that I couldn't swallow and woke up in the night constantly because of the dry mouth discomfort!

So, I now take Bonine once a day every day and it works like a charm! It does make me a bit drowsy but nothing like draminine. It's worth it to not get sick and by the way...on my first cruise in 1991...I got so seasick the last couple days (after removing the patch because of the severe side effects), that I couldn't walk off the ship or even stand! I went off the ship in a wheelchair and a barf bag in each hand!!! (Was a strong/healthy 30 something at the time so it was really bad.) Believe it or not, after discovering the Bonine....I'm about to go on my 8th cruise this May 05! :o)

Just about every cruise I've taken....the cruise ship has bonine readily available for free. But it's best to take it a couple hours before you fly/cruise, etc.
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Forgot to mention in my previous post! I cruised on RCCL out of Galveston in 2003 and a huricane was on the way. They insisted on not changing the cruise in any way....I went on this trip w/my teen daughter and sister (she was cruising for the first time). During the middle of the night on the 1st night we were hit hard by the 120 mph winds. The rocking was unbelieveable and that large ship creaked with every sway (loadly!). By morning....I insisted on dressing and going up top (we had no window/lower deck) and the few people I actually saw venturing out were sick as dogs!! It lasted for most of the first full day at sea and was really scary. Couldn't walk without holding on the something and the floor kept dropping out from under you because of the rising and falling on the ship in the huge waves. Found our the next day...from several staff that almost half the ships crew were sick in that hurricane and they are all seasoned sailors!

Long story short....we took Bonine and didn't get sick once! Had to go back and remain in the cabin...made ourselves go back to sleep (as best we could) until things died down and we sailed out of the storm. If Bonine can keep you feeling good during 120 mph winds in a hurricane...you know it works!
Old March 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Passenger

Can I suggest the Relief Band? It looks like a wrist watch, but you wear it on the inside of the wrist. It works on the same principle as the sea bands, but it gives off mild electric pulses to stimulate a particular nerve, that somehow short-circuits the seasickness impulse. One of the best things is that you can wait to turn it on until you actually feel sick.

The only problem is that you have to keep it right on the correct contact point -- if correct, you can feel the pulse across your palm and up the two middle fingers -- if I move my wrist or hand, it often slips off that "sweet spot" and I have to keep fiddling with it. I would appreciate any suggestions to help with this.

Anyway, the point is, it is a VERY effective seasickness remedy -- I hate taking medication. It is expensive (around $80 - $100) but you can keep using it and buying new batteries. I know you can find it at Sharper Image and Travel Smith, but there are lots of web sites too -- just Google it. Good Luck!
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Hi there
Yup I used it ONCE. Be aware you CAN NOT drink alcohol while wearing this patch or for several hours after taking it off...I didn't know that when I wore it....it wasn't pretty. They sell a wristband in boating stores, about $100 bucks, gives a small electropulse on your wrist (it doesn't hurt at all) 2 big benfits 1) you can put it on AFTER or IF you feel sick and 2) it has no side effects...you can take it off, put it back on if needed, works in seconds..I LOVE mine and use it everytime I go offshore fishing...
best of luck and happy cruising
texaco55
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mister Ed

I too have experienced sea-sickness on various fishing trips and cruises. I had tried the scopalamine patch long ago and found the "medicated" feeling not to my liking. On a fishing venture out of San Simeon, I was feeling quesy in 12 foot swells, the female deckhand had a large plastic jar of elastic wristbands with a hard plastic "button". I was skeptical that anything involving "accu anything" would work, but much to my surprise, the bands worked within 15 minutes. You must remember to wear TWO wristbands- one won't cut it. The button must be positioned about "two fingers away from your hand's crease and between the two tendons on the inside of your wrist. Works everytime- believe it or not.
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM
mrupp

I cannot live without my patch! I get motion sick just driving sometimes, and after 5 cruises, this patch has been a lifesaver. TransDerm Scope is the one I use.
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM
SusanCruiser

I am extrememly prone to sea sickness, cannot read in the car, etc. I am 110 pounds and I drink alcohol in moderation while wearing the patch. I have used it on two previous cruises and had no side effects whatsoever except for dry mouth, which was not bothersome to me. My teenage son, however, cannot wear it as he had a very difficult reaction. He got dizzy and acted strangely...said it made him feel weird..out of body. He removed it and it took him 1/2 day to recover.

Since side effects vary widely from person to person, I recommend trying it out PRIOR to cruising to see how it will affect you personally.
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Passenger

I've decided on buying the reliefband. This is the one that sends electrical pulses. Apparently it works by recalibrating the rhythm of the stomach muscles to prevent nausea. My wife gets carsick easily so I will keep it in my car most of the time for her and also she can use it on our cruise this December.
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Passenger

Too all,
Wife and I going on cruise (Golden Princess) next month to Southern Caribbean. It's our 2nd cruise. Anyway, avidly reading here about motion sickness as wife very susceptible to it. She's tried dramamine before. I very interested in Bonine, well, Meclazine really. I just got off the phone with my pharmicist (I live in US) and they have the 100 pill bottle for $5. It is the less-drowsy formula. My question is that I have read here about people getting a 24-hour, 1 pill per day formula. My pharmicist checked the drug website and said there is no such thing. There is the 24-25 mg pill every 8 hours formula. She's a damn good pharmicist and so I'm wondering what those who've posted about a 24-hr pill are talking about? If you have it, how many milligrams is each pill? Is it something only available in Canada maybe? I'm going to get the "every 8 hours" formula here, but stll wondering about what your all taking.
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:09 AM
Passenger

Default Answer own Question

Bought the generic last night at pharmacy. Regardless what my pharmicist and the website says, I now have a 100 pill bottle of the generic in the chewable formula. The bottle says can chew or swallow like pill. These are 25mg. The instructions say 1-2 pills once per day. So there's the 24 hour connection. I have read that there is a upper limit dosage in a 24-hour period of 150mgs. That would explain the pharmicist telling me 3 times per day I guess. So it appears I can take 1-2 pills 1 time per day to a maximum of 2 pills 3 times per day. 8) I think we'll start on the 1 per day and see if we need to increase the dossage. BTW, 100 pills was $5.04 (US).
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to asasj5

The patch worked really well for seasickness BUT - it gave me an awful taste in my mouth (what fun is that when you want to enjoy all the food!) and when I took it off at home I was extremely dizzy for 2 days. I am going to use Bonine this time. The no-drowsiness formula is actually meclizine hydrochloride which is now the same thing in Dramamine - just check the label.
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Familiar Face

I carry ginger snap cookies with me. On an Alaska cruise, my freind was told by cabin steward to eat a green apple each morning. It Worked!!
Crown Princess, Southern Caribbean, April/07 - Fun In The Sun
Brilliance Of The Seas, Partial Panama, March/08 - Here We Go Again!
Vision Of The Seas, Mexico, Dec/08 - 50th Birthday