Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Marypat_2004

Default Best cure for motion sickness?

I was wondering if anyone has used the transdermal patch that is worn behing the ear. Does it make you drowsy? I am leaving for a cruise and was very motion sick when I went deep sea fishing and am so worried about having my first cruise ruined with motion sickness. Any advice on which is best and not cause drowsiness as I want to party and have a good time. Thanks MP
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Best cure for motion sickness?

I used the patch when I went on my first cruise last summer. I get motion sick in a car. the patch worked very well for me. I did not have any problems. Never felt sick, even on the one night that the boat was swaying back and forth. I think you wil like it, but I have read reviews where people said that it made their mouth dry. I would rather have a dry mouth than be sick. I hope this helps.
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:50 AM
bonnie CORNS

I take Ginger Pills and Bonamine starting the day before I travel and each day of my cruise. This should stop any motion sickness.

Good luck
Old April 17th, 2004, 11:00 AM
glum

Default Re: Re: Best cure for motion sickness?

Hi, last year on a med cruise I have really bad sea sickness for 1 days. Where can you buy these patches. I live in england.

Thank you.

Chez

:-)
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Passenger

I get motion sickness very easily. In a car, train, bus, etc. I brought bonine tablets for my first cruise last year. Began to take them the day before the cruise and never had any problem. Plan to do the same thing for my upcoming cruise.
cheryl

Sovereign of the Seas
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:43 AM
leavensunday

I used the patch. I wasn't sure if I would be prone to motion sickness, but didn't want to take that chance. It did cause dry mouth, but heck, pretty sure I always had something to cure that-it also dilates the eyes, meaning reading close up is somewhat blurry, but otherwise, it didn't make me drowsy or anything. The rest of the party used bonine or nothing at all, and nobody got sick and I think our ship was very rocky.
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM
sis&I

I'm worried also, I get motion sick easily. I even get it from watching news with
the scrolling words across the bottom of the screen.
I went to walgreens and read the box on bonnie and Dramamine they both said
may cause drowsiness alcohol may intensify this.
I want to enjoy my self and have a few umbrella drinks. Has anyone taken
any kind patch, whatever, and also drank?

Old April 26th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Beginner

I can definitely vouch for Bonine (in Canada its called Bonamine). On my first cruise I got seasick and took Dramamine. It made me feel "not myself" the whole cruise. I took Bonamine on my second cruise recently (after having had a night of seasickness). I took two tablets each night before bed, had a few alcoholic beverages each day, and I felt completely normal and wonderful and was able to enjoy the rest of cruise. I get a little concerned when all the various remedies list precautions, but I suppose moderation of alcohol and other medications is the key. I found ginger pills didn't work for me nor did the seabands wristbands at all. Best Wishes.
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Admiral

I used the patch and felt fine the whole cruise - and I get sick just thinking about motion lol. I kept it on for several days after so I could enjoy the "rides" at the parks in Orlando. The only problem I had was the few days after I got home and stopped using it - I felt kind of like I was still on ship and was dizzy most of the time but that only lasted a short time. I would most definately use the patch again - I could even read in the car when I had it on - TTFN Jennifer
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:40 PM
First Mate

We bought the bonamine yesterday - is it best to take it at nighttime? Would that avoid the whole problem of drowsiness?

Old May 17th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Passenger

I'm back.
I can now swear by Bonine.
No side effects. No blurry eyes. No dry mouth. No drugged up feeling.
Did not feel sleepy even after 5-6 drinks.

The ship will not even hand out the patch because of side effects.
Take Bonine the 24 hour kind right away don't wait to see if you'll get sick
like I did.

Post Edited (05-17-04 19:35)

CCL FANTASY 5/13/04
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Sis was this regular Bonine or I saw somewhere they said there was a less drowsiness formula? When did you take it? Thanks
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:47 PM
sis&I

My sister bought the Bonine on the ship.
9 tablets were about $ 6.00
After we bought it we found out you could get it
from the information desk for free all you have to do is ask for it.

I tried finding the 24 hour Bonine at walgreens before our trip but they didn't have the
once a day kind.
I'm not sure about it being the non-drowsy formula. But I do rememeber the package said Less drowsy than the leading brands.

We were into our 3rd day of our cruise (Fun Day at sea)
I had already taken a shower and we went up for breakfast.
Lots of people were sick on our ship. Unfortunately we witnessed someone sitting
right across the table from us get sick at the table. yuck.
We got up from the table and went right to our room and took 2 pills.
We went up to the Lido deck and sunned and swam all day.

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Passenger

Thanks , thats what I saw less drowsey. I read that on RCL they also give it out for free but I figure I want to take it before I need it.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you are going to buy Bonine, you might want to buy Meclazine, the generic form, from your pharmacist. Bonine is around 8 dollars for 6-8 tablets, and Meclazine, the last time I bought it, was 4.95 for 100 tablets. It is the same stuff................also called Antivert in the prescription form.
I use the patch, have for all but one of my cruises, and find it to be the best. My doctor has prescribed it for me after evaluating it's use with my other medications. I have not had any side effects, but have told my husband what they are, and if he notices any of them, to take the patch off of me................................so far, it's never happened!
Happy cruising.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Nyla

I agree with using the patch. If anyone gets nausea from motion sickness or from eating unfamiliar foods you might try sucking on peppermint candy. I used to work for a cancer doctor and he would tell his patients who got nauseated from chemo to try this. So it might work on a cruise too.
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:29 AM
elenka

I''ve been on 2 cruises and have used the patch and it's been great. BUT both times I got very sick a day or two after I took the patch off. The first time I got so weak I couldn't even get up off the floor where I was watching TV. The second time I got heart palpitations that woke me up suddenly in the middle of the night and my heart was racing. Then it all goes away, but it worries me. I'm going on another trip and don't know what to do. I can't not take anything. Dramamine puts me to sleep for hours and I can't get up until it wears off. Someone told me to cut the patch in half and try that. Any ideas?
Old June 4th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Passenger

The patch can have severe side affects. My vision became so blurred I could not see to walk down the hall. It also caused my eyes to swell and become blood shot. Some people though have no problem.

For the cruiser from England, the patch is not available there. They feel the rate of side affects is to great.
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:40 PM
First Mate

I always take Bonine and limit my food and drink intake. Especially the first day at sea. and when the weather starts to get rough.
You might need Bonine to read this post.

Old June 7th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Admiral

MOM - you're right - heading for the medcine cabinet right now - lol - TTFN Jennifer
Old June 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM
Admiral

I used the patch AFTER I got sick... I missed a whole day... hubby slapped the patch on & no more seasickness.... HOWEVER... I did get blurry eyes to the point that I could not focus to read... got very disoriented... could NOT snorkle... when I put my head in the water, I couldnt tell up from down so that wasnt a good thing... I felt weak for a few days but Im sure that was from lack of food in my system.... I was weak & lightheaded for almost 9 days AFTER taking the patch off.

Would I take it again ? Probably, as it was better than missing the whole trip ! Maybe my Dr can order me something else.... I get sick in a moving car... so I felt like I was very prone to seasickness... others in my group had no problems !
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Bonine - the 24 hour non-drowsy formula. I drank and experienced no side effects at all. One pill (taken at anytime of the day or night) lasts, truly, for 24 hours.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:29 PM
holden

Because I don't like to take meds if I don't have to, I have used the seabands. While I only needed them twice (been on 9 cruises), they did work for me. You just have to make sure you read the directions and follow them carefully.
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Try this, it worked for me.....go to Walgreen's or any pharmacy and ask for their "Sea-Bands". Its a hard plastic nodule that is on an elastic band. Its placed over your wrist with the nodule pressing on the underside of your wrist on your medial nerve area. I was in 15 ft seas last May on the Carribean Princess and they worked like a charm!! Took 'em off just once, and in 5 mins began to get queasy!
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to JULIEB

I went on my 1st cruise recently & took ginger tablets about a week before I left & took them while on the cruise. I also had patches & bonine with me just in case. I am very easy to get motion sickness. We had pertty smooth waters except for 1 night it got a little from side to side. But I did fine. I would do this again. Happy sailing.

Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Motion sickness is terrrrrrrrrrrrrible.....I was ready to die !!!!!!!! just let me die../....
This was on a Windstar cruise.....6' swells and howling...
and me deadly ill, feeding the fish. And so were others.
There was a couple from Canada on board. They had a whole bunch of Travelbands with them, elastic wristband with a plastic button. They passed them out to everyone who wanted one...I can only tell anyone, THEY do work. based on acupressure it stimulates something in the ear to keep your balance. next day a whole lot of people thanked them , literally for saving their cruise. I tell you they did not have to buy wine for the rest of the cruise.
If you check their web site at
www.travelband.com, there is a lot of information and you can buy it there. I had 1 dozen shipped for my friends....Cost is about $US 7 or around there.
I can highly recommend it...
And, it also worked for morning sickness for a friend.....

just amazing...
Old December 27th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Beginner

Think Meclazine instead of Bonine will do the trick? We don't anticipate any sea-sickness problems since our itinerary sails the Mexican Riv. - waters should be very calm. In any event...wonder if we can hold off taking anything until (if and when) we notice any symptoms.

Our ship is the Princess-Diamond. Very new and should be smooth sailing.

This is our very first cruise. Can you tell?!
Old January 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
memer0951

I'm the most motion sickness-prone person I know, so I fully expected to get sick on my first cruise. I don't know if we got lucky and had exceptionally calm waters or what, but I didn't have a lick of sickness with no patch or bonine or anything. I felt great! The only effect the motion had on me was relaxing me. The subtle rocking made me sleep like a baby. Not bad for a chronic insomniac.

That said, I've tried most of the methods mentioned above. The sea-bands have never helped me. Just my experience. The patch does help somewhat. I was able to ride a round-and-round ride for the first time in 20 years without getting sick. HOWEVER, it leaves me positively stoned, and I always give up and rip it off. I get really bad cotton mouth with it, too, but it's the drowsiness/loopiness I just can't live with. And, it seems to mix badly with just about any kind of medication and alcohol. Maybe I just have an especially bad reaction to it. Dramamine (taken in large quantities) helps me a little on smaller boats, but not enough to make me enjoy them. And, ginger has never helped me a bit. Grr...I've seen several people on this message board mention a shot that helps motion sickness, so I'm looking to try that sometime.
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Leanneb0925

I used the patch for my first crusie and I could not have made it without it. It helped a whole lot, from the plane to the ship. I didn't experience any side effects from it except a little drowsiness at first but it went away. Most important thing to remember is not to touch your eyes after putting it on! I did that one day and it caused my pupils to become so dialted that I could not see very well for 2 days, but that was my own fault!
Leanne
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

I used the patch it made me stoned, I hated the way I felt on it and took it off then got really sea sick. I also tried the bands which did not work, I threw up with them on. I used dramamine it worked but made me tired and stoned feeling. This cruise Im going to try Bonine and take it before bed. I did not like the patch at all. Of course I weigh only 102 lbs so they tend to over prescribe for my weight, maybe half a patch would have done the trick for me, without side effects. I've heard good stuff about the Bonine and the Ginger pills I will try both. Good luck to you.