Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:13 AM
Margaret

Default How to tan

Hi,
I have dark brown hair and am also extremely fair skinned. I want to get a little bit of a tan but I'm not able to go to a tanning bed. I want a natural tan, not one in a bottle, and I'm not even sure, with my skin type, if I will be able to tan. I need some tips on how I should go about obtaining a tan. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:13 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: How to tan

Chances are you are unable to truely tan. I went to a tanning bed for 2 months before my vacation to Cancun and got no color at all. The girl at the booth kept telling me to buy these "accelerator" creams and I did and still nothing. I went every other day and was shocked that nothing happened. I have auburn hair and very fair skin. Then a friend of mine got a job at a tanning salon and had to take a little class before she started work. Turns out, there are some people that just cannot tan due to the natural pigments and melonin in our skin. No matter how long you laid in the bed or out in the sun, you will only burn or nothing at all.

I would reccomend going to a tanning salon, if you can, that has one of those stand up spray machines (sorry, dont know what they are really called). They give you an even, natural tan that should last for about a week without reapplication.

Or you can just embrace your fair skin as I have and wear tons of sunblock!

Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
sls

I'm unemployed and finally able to devote myself to tanning. I spend 1/2 hour on each side everyday and have a light tan going. How do you tan the sides?

sls
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Passenger

The spray on tan that Carey was talking about is know as Mystic Tan or another brand but same thing is I think Magic Tan. These spray on tans are available at a lot of tanning salons. Basically, you exfoliate and put a cream on hands and feet so it doesn't look un-natural and this high pressure sprayer sprays your whole body in a minute or 2. Cost will vary from areas, but around $30 here in central California and lasts about 1 week. At the tanning salon I went to before my cruise, I heard them recommond to those who were going this route to do at least 1 spray tan as a "practice"-to get familiar with the technique. Making a minimum of 2 Mystic Tans before your cruise.Not sure if it's necessary, but thought it might be worth mentioning. Hope this helps. Happy tanning!!!
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Jane Marlow

I am doing Mystic Tan too. No skin damage from that. Only wallet damage.