Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Default I may have to have foot surgery. How will it affect my cruis

Hi all..

I have 2 bone spurs that are cutting into and inflameing my Plantar Fascia (The ligaments on the very bottom of the foot) and Achilles Tendon.

My doctor is trying to avoid surgery by giving me pain killers and anti inflamatory's along with cortisone shots on the bottom of my foot and icing it down.

If that does not work then she is going to try Physical theraphy. I would do that 2 times a week for a month or so. If that don't help then i may have to have surgery.

And I have a cruise booked in Dec.

My foot is beging to affect my job. I am a EMT (Emegency Medical Tech.) I am ALWAYS on my feet and my Doctor thinks that is how I got the bone spurs. It is getting harder to work and even do everyday things. When i am at work I am in alot of pain.

If I have surgery it seems like the timing would be a moth or so before my cruise. And It takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal all the way. Including even more Physical theraphy.

I won't know untill after the 1st round of therapy if Ihave to have surgery.

I will be on the Radiance. How hard would it be to get around with say crutches or in a cast. If I have to have it before I cruise. HOPEFULLY if I have to have it I can postpone it untill after my cruise.

Any thoughts would help!!!

Thanks Susie

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Beginner

Default Re: I may have to have foot surgery. How will it affect my c

If you purchased travel insurance you could cancel if you are unable to go. Beyond that getting around the ship is not that hard, doing the ports though can be tough. It sounds like if you don't have the surgery you will have limited mobility any way.
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Mary Jane

I too have bone spurs, plantar faciits and flat feet. I was thinking of getting "the surgery"..but I hearad that the recovery time can be longer than a few weeks. I Am going on a 15 day cruise and I know I will suffer, but not as much as if I couldnt participate in excursions and all the fun. I am waiting until after. I use some neat show inserts I got at the county fair. They are called Hydropedes. I also use arch supprts, anti imflammatories and limp a lot. Hope you have a good time and good luck!!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
JaneMarlow

You know, Insuremytrip.com has some really good options for insurance. Hopefully you can get geared up with that before your trip in the event you cannot go.