Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:41 AM
Mandy B.R.

Default thinking of taking our first cruise

Hello all, I am new to this board and also to cruising. My husband has been after me to take a cruise. I have been a little nervous about it. I am wondering about all this seasickness everyone is talking about. Do the ships sway alot?? We would leave from New Orleans. Please share stories or tips as we have never done this before.

Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: thinking of taking our first cruise

Mandy

I suffer from seasickness. On the first cruise I took one dramanine the entire cruise. On the second one I took two Bonine pills the entire cruise (I found I prefer the Bonine over Dramanine). I took the pills when I started to feel a little funny, but not sick and had no problems. I really didn't feel any swaying or rocking. Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:43 PM
Admiral

I get sick watching water on tv lol - so I wore the patch. Couldn't drink on it (saved a bundle there lol) and my eyes were a little wonky - but I never got sick at all and we had some pretty rough seas - and a lot of sick people. You can tell by the half empty dining room at dinner lol. It also took a few days to get my land legs back (I wore th patch for 14 days so I could go on the cruise and enjoy the rides in Orlando afterwards) after I got home. But I am really glad I found out about the patch as many, many people rowe them. It took my dh years to get me on our first cruise and I was planning the next one on the way home on the plane. You will have a great time - enjoy. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Hi! I hesitated for years and gave up some great vacations because of my fear of seasickness cause I'm really bad with motion sickness. I got the patch from my doctor but never used it. I ended up spacing my dramamine non drowsy tabs every 12 hours and did great! I'm ready to go again but now I can't get anyone or the time to go again! Just be prepared with meds and you'll be fine. The ships have great stablizers and I also found that when you are in bed, sometimes just by changing positions when you can feel the roll of the ship, it can help alot. We had an inside cabin so I'm also claustrophobic but I just kept the TV on with the ships route or view, and did great.
Good luck!
Old August 8th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Passenger

If you do not normally suffer from motion sickness then you will probably not need any meds. I have not taken anything on the 2 cruises I have been on, but we did not encounter any storms. Don't like taking medication if I don't have to. I'm sure you will be just fine, but take Bonine with you just in case.
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Gale & Bob Hanley

Default Re: Re: thinking of taking our first cruise

Hi, I am leaving in a week from today on a cruise and was on a short one about five years ago going to the Bahamas. I didnt get seasick at all but some say leaving from NY as I will be this time, the seas could be rough. Is Bonine something you have to get a perscription for or can you get it over the counter? I appreciate whatever help you can give me on this. Thanks.
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM
elen

Bonine works great for me. First 2 cruises I used to patch, which worked great. I drank with it, the pharmacist told me that if I drink with the patch, it'll just make me drowsy, which I didn't experience. (I didn't drink to excess, just now and the,) BUT I was very sick both times after I got home and took the patch off. Didn't even start to get sick until after I was already home a day. So, this time I took Bonine around 5pm everyday figuring if it was going to make me sleepy, it would be around bedtime anyway. I get seasick just walkin on land, so I knew I needed something. We left from NY, it was a llttle more wavy than in the Caribbean, but not bad. Bonine was perfect for me. One pill a day.
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:12 AM
First Mate

Stay far away from these pretty colored sweet smelling drinks

A crew member once told me not to touch these upon boarding.. because until you get your sea legs.. the MOTION OF THE OCEAN does not go together with the MOTION IN YOUR TUMMY... as those drinks slosh around..

THAT WILL Surely turn you GREEN!!

Old September 8th, 2004, 01:15 PM
JaneMarlow

I could throw up from looking at a canoe. So, while on the water I eat plenty of hot ginger candy and take Bonine.
Old September 11th, 2004, 03:52 PM
BC Cruiser

I was on a very rough voyage last January on the Millie (large ship). The dining room was significantly empty for the first 48 hours. Hubby & I were fine, took Bonine daily from the moment we got on. Nice drug, no side effects, can drink anything on them;-) Others wore the wrist bands. They said they worked great as long as you kept them on 24/7, even in the shower. Relax, enjoy!
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: thinking of taking our first cruise

You don't need a prescription for Bonine...you can get it a the local drug store or Walmart, etc....right where the dramamine is.

Old June 26th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cruzdiver

All of our fears were needless before our first cruise. Worried about seasickness, sickness, claustrophobic, dressing appropriate, and taking everything we needed.

When we finally arrived and boarded neither of us ever opened the dramine or bionine.
Claustrophobia was not as issue (we had oceanview window) inside cabin may have been an issue. not willing to try to find out either. We found that we were in shorts during the day and bathing suits. Outfits for dinner were fine, we frequented the Windjammer alot because we had so much fun in ports and on the ship we rarely wanted a 2 hour dinner experience. We eat out 5 nights a week at home anyway!
Everything we packed was fine. We only ran out of shorts.

Take plenty of shorts! Just don't stress over pre-cruise plans just gom and have a wonderful time/ It is the most relaxing vacation!

Legend of the Seas November 12th 2005
Enchantment of the seas June 21, 2004

<a href='http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm117YY