Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:14 AM
agrant

Default Kidney stones

Help! We are sailing in 13 days and my husband is having kidney stone "twinges". He's had one already this year and has had several in past years. My question is...will the doc on board be able to handle anything that might arise. Usually he just needs doping up for a day or so and then he's okay for a while - until the stone starts moving again. Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM
JaneMarlow

Default Re: Kidney stones

ouch, sounds painful. Can his regular doctor give him travel advice and maybe some emergency pain killers to bring?

Do you purchase extra health insurance for evacuation/treatment?
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:31 PM
AmazingAngel

I know how your hubby feels. Four years ago I too had kidney stones and it isnt much fun that is for sure. Just make sure he is drinking lots and lots of water...no cafeine at all so the stone will past or at least stay within the kidney and not move. I have heard the meds on the ship are expensive so IMO I would go to your family doc and bring some pain killers along just to be on the safe side. Hope he feels better soon and have a great trip!
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:47 PM
redeyedfrg

i feel your DH's pain, literally. dad, brother and i all suffer (greatly) from kidney stones. thankfully, i have never had one while traveling. but last year right before my parents went to hawaii for a month (ahh, the joys of retirement), dad, too, had those "twinges." the doctor sent him off with an RX for heavy duty pain killers (be sure you bring them in the original bottle). other than drugs and saline drips, there is really nothing a doctor can do for you at the time you pass the stone. luckily, he did not pass it until after they returned home. but i second the idea of contacting your Dh's doctor before you leave, and drink TONS of water!