Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Passenger

Default flu season

I am a bit worried about going on the ship during flu season. I'll be bringing my chlorox wipes and lots of hand sanitizer (bringing my 2 little boys with us) - any other suggestions? I'm trying to get the boys vaccinated but with the flu shot shortage the receptionist says it will be up to the doctor when I get to our appt.

Carnival Paradise
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: flu season

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!!!! That is the best defense against getting the flu. The other precautions you are going to do will help. If you are healthy and your kids are healthy, you shouldn't be any more at risk than if you were at home.

I an a nurse and work in a nursing home with frail elderly....and we are being told that we may not get the vaccine at all for our residents.......I would think that if any population would be a priority it would be the elderly who live in facilities........but who knows what the CDC and DHS think.......and they are carrying on with flu shot clinics (they say they are only giving to those who are truly at risk, but if they require no documentation, how can they know exactly if someone is lying?)

Old October 13th, 2004, 12:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: flu season

Just had my flu shot - as an asthmatic it really is critical for me to get one. It has made a HUGE difference in my fall and winter health. Also, Lisa is absolutely correct about hand washing. Being from Toronto, I got used to frequent, PROPER handwashing during the SARS outbreak in 2003. That year I did not get the flu, bronchitis or even a bad cold and I used public transit and went to the gym regularly (great sources of other people's germs). In previous years I have had all 3 - sometimes several times. Frequent proper handwashing before eating, after touching a lot of different surfaces or utinsels touched by others, REALLY works.
Proper Handwashing:
Use warm water if possible
Lots of soap
Wash hands for AT LEAST 30 secs
Wash well up to wrists and wash BETWEEN fingers
If you are at home and have a nail brush - use it
Rinse thoroughly, allowing water to run DOWN off of hands, NOT back towards the arms
Dry hands thoroughly, including between fingers, using paper towels
At public washrooms especially, turn the taps off using paper towels NOT your just cleaned bare hands.
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Yeoman

I picked up some stuff at Walmart the other day. One was Airborne (actually they didnt have it-got it at CVS) which is for colds. The other Dolivaxil is for flu. Both are homeopathic and are supposed to reduce and possibly prevent colds / flu. You take it at the first sign of symptoms. I dont know if they work, but people have sworn by Airborne so its worth a try I guess. I picked up a few boxes each for fear that I wont be able to find them when I need them!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old October 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm just paranoid from all of the media hype surrounding the flu. My kids were not allowed to get the flu shot at the dr's ofc as California has mandated that they can only vaccinate those who fall under the CDC guidelines for being at risk. I even tried at the base (we're military) and they haven't even received their supply of shots yet!! Oh well, I'll just try to relax about the whole thing. You can bet I'll be pulling my little guy out of preschool if the flu hits hard around here. I try to make sure they are washing their hands at home, but when they are at school I can only hope for the best!

Carnival Paradise
Old October 16th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Admiral

We tried airborne and it worked - at least I think it did. I always get a cold when I fly - this time I didn't - maybe just luck but I will take airborne now when I fly or cruise - it's cheap enpugh and I think it is mostly vitamins so it couldn't hurt anyway. Make sure the little ones eat well when they are on the cruise as well - not you just them lol. You can have all the lobster and desserts you want - lol. I always take vitamins with us as well - just in case we fall down on the good - for - you kind of food. TTFN jennifer
Old October 17th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

To add to Alison's post regarding handwashing - also turn off light switches and open the door using the paper towels in your hand and then discard them. I am still steamed that some of the most vulnerable may not be getting the vaccine here because people are so damn paranoid about getting the flu....and they've never had it before and are relatively healthy.

I don't blame the president for this, I blame the pharmaceutical companies, the FDA, the department of Health and Human Services..................pharma companies would produce more of the vaccine if the DHS would let them...and they are entitled to make some profit from it (not a lot, but some.....enough to subsidize research for the following years vaccine.)

Old October 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Yeoman

They have said that there is plenty of medicine to treat the flu once you get it. Too bad we might have to suffer though!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I would also suggest brining a can of Lysol or some other disinfectant spray with you. Once there spray the mattresses, pillows, blankets, comfortor and rugs. Not sure if they do this, but that way you'll know it was done. I've done it traveling in hotels, motels, cruises, etc. for years. Also, if you have to fly, consider wearing a mask. The air in airplanes is recirculated so all the germs are recirculated through the plane.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03