Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
First Mate

Don't know if there is more medical advice on the aboards or more legal advice. In either case "practicing without proper license" will probally get us all in "hot water". kuki---I think you are correct and that's the path I have always taken. I have to disagree with some of the writers as I have used the medical service three times and found each time I was treatly nicely and got quality medical service at a fair price. Maybe I am an exception, however when I'm hurting 5000 miles away from my home town I don't consider a few extra dollars too much to pay to remedy the problem. On a trip back from Europe I ended up in the medical unit at the Amsterdam Airport. I will never forget those people--they were great and there when I needed them The price--wasn't much for the relief I got.
Old August 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds
Default Re: Dont get sick on board!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla
Here's some suggestions before you go on a cruise so you don't get sick and have see the doctor and pay big bucks. Of course these are not 100% but...........I take an antibiotic for 10 days before leaving. Might help with not catching any bugs. Take vitamin C. Get a prescription for lomotil for diarrhea or bring some pepto bismol or Kaeopectate. If you have heart burn buy some over the counter Prilosec and bring that too. Can't hurt right?
Not trying to be flippant or disrespectful at all, my husband got diagnosed with a ruptured appendix two days after our cruise. He had symptoms before which he tried best he could to ignore because they didn't become absolutely unbearable until just after (he was a bit lucky there). Now, whilst antibiotics might had controlled some of it, they would certainly not have prevented it happening (say if it was at the beginning of the cruise), plus taking preventative antibiotics is not a great policy for many reasons and well... would you want to spend your cruise on antibiotics just in case?
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds
Default Re: Dont get sick on board!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi reynolds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla
Here's some suggestions before you go on a cruise so you don't get sick and have see the doctor and pay big bucks. Of course these are not 100% but...........I take an antibiotic for 10 days before leaving. Might help with not catching any bugs. Take vitamin C. Get a prescription for lomotil for diarrhea or bring some pepto bismol or Kaeopectate. If you have heart burn buy some over the counter Prilosec and bring that too. Can't hurt right?
Not trying to be flippant or disrespectful at all, my husband got diagnosed with a ruptured appendix two days after our cruise. He had symptoms before which he tried best he could to ignore because they didn't become absolutely unbearable until just after (he was a bit lucky there). Now, whilst antibiotics might had controlled some of it, they would certainly not have prevented it happening (say if it was at the beginning of the cruise), plus taking preventative antibiotics is not a great policy for many reasons and well... would you want to spend your cruise on antibiotics just in case?
Sorry to had gone on a rant against antibiotics here. I have a sister in law who's a doctor and would not prescribe them in case, and not for colds either, for various reasons (costs aren't it). However, antibiotics for instance would not allow you to drink any alcohol whilst on them. Don't get me wrong neither myself or my husband are drunks but it's nice to have a glass of something special with a meal whilst on a cruise for instance. Okay, if you're sick, that't that but if you aren't, well I would just live normally and hope for the best but still would strongly recommend insurance unless one is able to pay the full cost if something goes wrong. Vitamins may be a better option but people should also remember that yes, it is possible to overdose on vitamins and complimentary remedies.