Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Rose Marie

Default Yellow Fever Shot for Brazil

We will be taking a cruise to Brazil in February and will have visited Peru and Ecuador 90 days prior to going to Brazil. However, the visits to the latter two countries will be just to coastal cities.

Is it absolutely necessary to get the yellow fever shot? By travel doctor says no; the Brazilian government says yes and I'm torn between the two!

Any advice? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty
Default Re: Yellow Fever Shot for Brazil

I know how you feel Im trying to decide on if I should get one or not for Belize, Costa Rica and Panama. Seems the shot can have side effects, however thousands of people have died from yellow fever it's a very bad disease. I probally will get it because mosquitos love to bite me, and it only takes one bite. Call around different doctors also keep in mind where you will be at in the port. If your in the city you may be fine not the same for the rainforest. Check with center for disease control as well as your local health department. Good luck.
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty
Default Re: Yellow Fever Shot for Brazil

Check with a local travel clinic they know more then regular doctors, mine gave me a map and did not reccomend I get yellow fever vacine, He did reccomend I get Hepatitus A. Im still confused about Malaria drugs, the port is fine but out lying areas are not, I have a bad stomach , which the drugs can upset, so Im going to load up on insect repellant and hope for the best.
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Beginner

We sailing from the Canaries to Senegal (one day stop) to Brazil on the Silver Wind in November. While applying for our visas, I emailed our local Brazilian Consulate directly. If the Brazilian Consulate says you need the certificate, you have to get one to enter the country. They responded the same day. They said that I didn't need the certificate coming from Senegal on a cruise. This was contrary to what their website said (which was a little vague) but consistent with what the CDC said. My husband and I are going to risk it and not get the shot. In Chicago we have to go to a special dr. and it is a pain plus adds to the expense. I looked up the infection rates for travelers in the large metro areas and it is extremely low. We aren't going into the jungle. We are just stopping in ports. We will be taking the anti-malarials (much higher infection rates) and getting our shots updated. I have a current tyhphoid and Hepatitus A immunization. There are mosquitoes even in big cities. Think about mosquitoes in Central Park... Anyway, I have never been sorry that I took anti-malarials (despite the yeast infection side effect) because I don't seem to get sick from the food while on them. My last trip everyone else got sick from the food on the plane. I didn't!
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

This can easily be put to rest.

IF you are going on vacation to these countries for a week (non-cruise), you need the shots.

IF you are going on a cruise ship, you do not need the shots. HOWEVER, you are taking your own health into your own hands. These diseases run wild down there because these are 3rd world countries & the governments (or lack thereof) do nothing to contain anything.

IF you are going on excursions that will take you into the jungles or anyplace where the mosquitos might get you, get the shots. Yes, it'll be annoying.

But the alternate is worse - say you get one of those diseases - you infect the ship (if it can spread) & the cruise line has to make an emergency call to get you off the ship & back to the States for treatment. This probably won't be covered unless you buy some sort of insurance.

If you are only staying in the port area, you should be fine. Just watch for the mosquitos especially after it rains. Buggers up here in CT love to come out & suck you dry after a good rainstorm.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Passenger

We are taking a cruise in April and according to Princess, if we don't have a yellow fever vaccination certificate, we will not be able to board the ship.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

What are the side effects of the yellow fever shot and the cost?? We took
the pills for malaria for our cruise through the Panama Canal in Jan. 07
(any idea how long the protection lasts??).
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Passenger

We had no side effects. It cost about $125.00 each for the shot and the doctor visit. I think they last 5 or 10 years.
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

If your doctor advises against the yellow fever shot due to other health
issues you may have - what happens? Do you present a written note
from your physican - is that acceptable to the authorities so that you
can still leave the ship and sightsee - we will be in Rio for several days prior to sailing.
(Do you also need the shot if the cruise lines stops there - like a port call -
we are considering starting the trip from Fla. whicn would add another
2 weeks.) Hope this is not too confusing.
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Default Taking shots

We have just come from those countries (and others) you mentioned. We took the shots. This is twice we have taken and no ill effects. In Dallas you have to go to the Health Center to get the shots. We were "told" to get the shots by the doctor at the health center. We did not debate the matter with him--just got the shots. We feel a lot better when going to those countries knowing that we have some protection.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Beginner

My father contracted yellow fever many years ago. Trust me, it is a disease that you want to avoid. The long term health implications are serious and suffering through weeks of debilitating fever is rarely pleasant.

If your cruise is stopping in Brazil I don't believe that a yellow fever vaccination is required. However, if your cruise departs from or terminates in Brazil then, I believe, you are required to have the vaccination.