CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   Packing Medications (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/296543-packing-medications.html)

Jackie Robinson January 25th, 2005 07:24 AM

Packing Medications

My husband and I are going to be on the Carnival Glory in March. I have a question regarding carrying my medications. Do the medications have to be in the bottles you get at the pharmacy or can you carry one of those day-by-day pill containers?

Carnival Triumph - December 2003
Carnival Glory - March 2005 (can't wait)

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=05&hour=16:00

justgr8fl January 25th, 2005 08:12 PM

Re: Packing Medications

Carry them how ever you like but carry them on your carry on in case your luggage gets lost (hopefully that won't happen).

LisaK January 28th, 2005 10:15 AM

The day to day pill containers are just fine, however it might be a good idea to bring along a copy of the original prescription - especially if you are taking any kind of painkiller or narcotic. Pack your meds in your carry-on luggage. Over-the-counter drugs should be in the original marked bottles(Tylenol, Bonine, Rolaids etc - buy the smallest size),just in case immigration decides to search your bags, better safe than sorry.

ValerieNJ June 27th, 2005 07:04 PM

I was going to ask the same question.

We are going on the Carnival Triumph to Canada.

My dad is on a lot of medication and was planning on packing in those little weekly pill containers. Then he heard that he has to bring the original bottles, so our TA called Carnival and they also said to bring the original bottles. They would need to pack another carryon just for his drugs (they get them in huge 3-month supply bottles and he takes like 25 different pills!)

He was thinking that if he brought a list with his medications and prescription numbers, that may be ok...but he can't risk it, as he can't be without his meds.

Has anyone had any problems packing their meds in another container?

Fern June 28th, 2005 05:25 PM

Hi Valerie,

I have always used the day-by-day containers and never (so far!) had any problem. The only exception is a very strong (narcotic) drug for severe pain. I've never had to use it, but wouldn't go anywhere without it! I would make sure, if your Father takes any of those, that they are carried in the original bottle.

Or, if you don't want to take the chance, take the meds to your pharmacist and ask if they will make up smaller bottles for you.

I also take a few day's worth of extras, just in case we get delayed.

I carry a list of all my prescriptions and what they are for all the time. If something happens away from home it will be very helpful to have.

As LisaK said, always carry your meds in your carry-on bag. Your checked luggage may be delayed or (very rarely) not show up at all.

Have a great cruise!

Chicagotravelwoman August 29th, 2006 04:35 PM

New Security Regs since the London Scare

The TSA wants us to have some record of our prescriptions with us. So, while I dump my pills into a day by day too, I suggest you bring the paper copy that the pharmacy can print out for you that lists your prescriptions from now on.

Fern August 29th, 2006 07:48 PM

Since things have changed recently I'm changing my opinion. I'll be carrying all my Rx in the bottles from the drug store. It will be a pain, but I sure don't want to be without my Rx for a week!

Hi Chicagotravelwoman,

I'm not at all sure that your pharmacy list will work for the TSA. I'm not taking any chances. After we board the ship, I'll transfer my meds to the weekly containers. Maybe I'm over-cautious, but better safe than sorry :D !