Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty
Default anti germ gel/Norwalk virus

With all the Norwalk viruses these days why don't the cruise ships have little hand sanitizing stations with anti bacterial hand gel everywhere, Im going to bring my own but It seems like a cheap precaution to help prevent the spread of on board illness. What causes the Norwalk virus anyway?
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:46 PM
MSR

Default Re: anti germ gel/Norwalk virus

HAL has dispensers all around, especially by the buffet line....

Just a virus--I picked it up without leaving Chicago in October. 2 days of agony --and it started within minutes. One minute you are fine and just a slight feeling of queasiness: the next minute, full-blown nausea.
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Mikes Wifee

I did see the gel on the Costa Mederranea! And we also brought our own. They had it when you left and returned from excursions.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Both HAL and Princess have antibacterial hand washing gel in many locations on the ship. And, yes, when returning from ports, there are dispensers everywhere.

I was on the Amsterdam in 2003 when an outbreak occured - about 300 people got sick and the ship was quarantined when we arrived in Lauderdale. I did not get sick, but was outside a lot, at beaches, in the water and made sure to wash hands a lot.

Just take some extra precautions and you should be fine. Use the gel on the plane, too.

Bon Voyage!
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:57 AM
First Mate

NCL has sanitizing dispensers in the buffet area and when you board or leave the ship.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
glojo

If people would just wash their hands, and also top touching their faces it would help.
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Bruce Chafkin

windycitykitty,
You ask a very good question.
But you need to get the facts correct.

Those handcleaning stations are filled with an anti-VIRAL gel that is extremely expensive. The cheap anti-BACTERIAL gels you can purchase over the counter do not stop viruses like Norwalk or the common Flu.

Even though you might see quite a few of those stations on the ship, watch them carefully. After the first few days of the cruise hardly anyone - except the staff - is really using them. They don't work if they are not used.
A recent CDC Survey found that only 21% of Americans wash their hands after using the toilet. That is the number one way to spread Norwalk virus. If they won't wash their hands after toilet use, how can we expect them to use the hand sanitrizers?

Until we find a way to FORCE cruise passengers to clean their hands before eating and touching food, all the hand sanitizers in the world won't really help.
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:17 PM
lilliana

Bruce, I believe you are a bit mislead...

What's in the hand sanitizing stations on the ship and what's in the little bottles that you buy at the drugstore is generally the same thing : ethyl alcohol (though I admit the percentage of ethyl alcohol to other ingredients may be higher in hand sanitizing stations). I'm not sure how much the ratio of alcohol to other ingredients changes the effectiveness, but it must be better than nothing.

I swear up and down by my hand sanitizer and it's paid off... no flu this winter even though I couldn't get the shot!

However, hearing that only 21% percent of people wash their hands after using the toilet is really making me question exactly what I touch each day... honestly now, it's not a complex thing to remember to wash one's hands.. If the four year old I babysit for can remember, why can't grown up people (or are they just too lazy)?
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The number of people who do not wash their hands is far too high but I have seen numbers from the CDC and America Society of Microbiology that put it at around one third. This is according to a CNN story in December of 2003. I hope we haven't slipped that far that fast. :-)

Even at with 1 in 3 not washing their hands that is FAR TOO high.

If more people would just regularly and thoroughly wash their hands with regular soap and water, antibacterial soap, that is drying skin and creating antibacterial resistant germs, would not be needed.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/00407.html

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Admiral

I found a great way not to get sick or sick much less. Many people do wash their hands, but touch the faucet again when turning it off. By doing this you just recontaminated yourself!!!! I will pull a towel prior to turning on the faucet, wash my hands, then use that towel to turn off the faucet. I then use another clean towel to open the door. If no towel available at door, I use my shirt! By doing this, I rarely get sick and this is coming from someone with two kids and used to get bronchitis or pnemonia (sic) once a year. Trust me, this will help cut down the virus.
Dee
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Can someone explain why restroom doors almost always open "in"? There must be some good reason for this. I like the restrooms with swinging doors, or better yet, the ones that have no doors at all! Just a turn, for privacy. I do the same as deedee with the paper towels or my shirt.

When you read the above statistics, ick!!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Admiral

when we were on the Golden Princess this past February,you could not pick up your own plate at the buffet - there was an attendant at the buffet line who would not give you your plate until you had used the hand sanitizer that was above the plates.
Most newer cruise ships have automatic flushers and faucets.
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: anti germ gel/Norwalk virus

thats a great idea, wish all the ships would do that.
Old July 10th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Lilliana,

I purchase and pay for those VERY expensive anti-viral machines and refills for a major cruise line. We had to research about 200 different products before deciding on the ones we use now. I know exactly what is in those machines - and at what strength. Those gels you purchase at the pharmacy are basically useless against a virus.
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:41 AM
skl

Bruce:

Your information is incorrect. No such thing exists as an "anti-viral gel". If you have been sold "anti-viral gel", you should ask for a refund.

And no, the alcohol gels purchased over the counter are anything but "useless". There will never be a substitute for a brisk, 15-second scrubbing with soap and water, but the alcohol-based gels reduce the germ count on hands dramatically.

skl

p.s. Haven't you posed on these boards as a cruiseline employee in MANY different capacities? Surely, no one can be in all the occupations you claim to be.
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Admiral

ski,

I just did a very quick search for "antiviral gel" and it came up with all sorts of products!
Over 3000 entries. Granted, they may not all be something that can be used on a cruise ship, but there they are!

As for Bruce, while I don't know him, the only thing I've ever seen him post as is a Hotel Manager for a cruiseline. I didn't search all his posts, so I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I believe a Hotel Manager would know about all kinds of cleaning products. Maybe you're confusing him with someone else?

Also, he said the OTC gels are useless against VIRUSES, not that they were useless against bacteria.

May we all be free from viruses & nasty bacteria (or is it bacterium?) on our cruises!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Passenger

So much misinformation being posted here...did a search on anti viral gel and actually not much "useful" info pops up. In regards to the person stating they purchse the anti viral gel for the cruis ship industry - this person is lying.

The truth of the matter is this: there is NO CURE for a VIRUS!!! Remember... the common cold is a virus...as well as AIDS. So, in other words, lets get facts straight!
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Admiral

An interesting post garden4cook. True, there is no "Cure" for the noro virus once you have it. You are right about that. you are however dead wrong if you are trying to insinuate that alcohol based gels like Purell which are now used on cruise ships by the gallon, will not work on viruses, they do in fact kill viruses quite dead. And since the main means of transmission of Noro is hand to mouth, it can be effective in preventing the spread, especially for those too inconsiderate to thoroughly wash their hands after going to the restroom.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Incidentally, I went back and re-read Bruce's posts. He's basically wrong. The stuff Princess and Holland America use is Purell. It is exactly the same stuff (65% ethanol) that you buy over the counter. No difference at all. In fact, on a recent HAL cruise we were all given personal bottles of the stuff. They were identical to the ones we had brought aboard ourselves. The stuff inside was the same as the stuff in the Purell dispensers in the entry ways to various public rooms and all the dining rooms on the ship. There was another product billed an anti viral product but it was evidently not as effective as the alcohol based gels because it was not in widespread use at all. This was what they did to successfully control an outbreak of noro virus in a code-red situation on the ship.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Bruce Chafkin, you say you buy anti-viral gels for the cruise ships, and I'm researching to find our about the manufacturer of the free standing dispensers used on Royal Caribbean. Can you give me more information? Thanks.
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Passenger

i was on the conquest last week and on the back of the bathroom doors there are disposable hand wipes to open the bathroom door with as you exit and a small trash can outside the door to toss them in. i find them very handy because now i dont have to worry about how i will open the bathroom door without getting contaminated.
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyrose
i was on the conquest last week and on the back of the bathroom doors there are disposable hand wipes to open the bathroom door with as you exit and a small trash can outside the door to toss them in. i find them very handy because now i dont have to worry about how i will open the bathroom door without getting contaminated.
that's an excellent idea!! our local supermarket chain has a large dispenser of antibacterial wipes next to the shopping carts so that you can wipe down the handle, seat, etc.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

It's funny that the comments regarding the soap come up. I had brought with me onboard the Anti-backterial soap that's in the plastic push-down dispener (you see them in the plastic bottles in the soap aisles).

Anyway, my cabin stewart actually was impressed. He said he wished all the ships used anti-bacterial soap vs. regular soap which is just basically wax with scent. Keeps ya clean & that's about it. He said that if all the ships changed over to anti-bacterial soap in the rooms, there might be less outbreaks.

I told him feel free to use it anytime & he did! We used it all the time on our cruise & never got sick (nobody else did either, we were virus free on our ship).

Maybe someday one of the cruiselines will try this out & see how it works out. You never know.
Old December 24th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Beginner

Default Simple Hygene

This conversation is comical. As a nurse, I would like to offer practical and factual advice regarding cleanliness.

First of all, hand washing is the single most protection against contagious illness there is. Ten seconds of vigorous washing under water is enough to rid yourself of germs. Soap is a benefit because it loosens dirt. Antibacterial soap is a misnomer. In actuality for it to work as expected, one must wash for ONE to TWO MINUTES to kill anything. If you sneeze, cough or blow your nose, WASH YOUR HANDS afterwards. If you use the restroom, even in your own room, WASH YOUR HANDS afterwards. When touching doornobs or railings etc, use your shirt or a kleenex/paper towel.

Second of all, simply keeping ones hands out of their mouth and nose will also drastically cut down on transfer. If you must touch your face, or are about to eat anything, wash your hands first.

Thirdly, while helpful in a pinch, gels and hand wipes are not intended for regular use in place of proper hand washing. People mistakenly think that gels are just as good, if not better than, traditional hand washing.

Fourth, don't drink the water. Always opt for bottled water when away from home. With kids, remind them not to drink pool water and to keep their mouths closed as much as possible when in the pool water.
Old December 24th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Beginner

Default Gels

Sorry...I somehow cut the rest of this off.

As for anti viral gels...yes there is such a thing. Most professional settings use antimicrobial (proper term) gels that are more potent than typical over the counter gels. They cover a broad spectrum of contaminants such as MRSA, Ecoli, HIV, Staph, Hepatitis etc.

Such gels are typically used by medical personnel. Although, food service workers should always wear gloves. If they aren't, ask them why. It would be in your best interest not to eat at a facility whos cooks, servers, busboys or prep people do not wear gloves.
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Simple Hygene ESP HANDWASHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalala
This conversation is comical. As a nurse, I would like to offer practical and factual advice regarding cleanliness.

First of all, hand washing is the single most protection against contagious illness there is. Ten seconds of vigorous washing under water is enough to rid yourself of germs. Soap is a benefit because it loosens dirt. Antibacterial soap is a misnomer. In actuality for it to work as expected, one must wash for ONE to TWO MINUTES to kill anything. If you sneeze, cough or blow your nose, WASH YOUR HANDS afterwards. If you use the restroom, even in your own room, WASH YOUR HANDS afterwards. When touching doornobs or railings etc, use your shirt or a kleenex/paper towel.

Second of all, simply keeping ones hands out of their mouth and nose will also drastically cut down on transfer. If you must touch your face, or are about to eat anything, wash your hands first.

Thirdly, while helpful in a pinch, gels and hand wipes are not intended for regular use in place of proper hand washing. People mistakenly think that gels are just as good, if not better than, traditional hand washing.

Fourth, don't drink the water. Always opt for bottled water when away from home. With kids, remind them not to drink pool water and to keep their mouths closed as much as possible when in the pool water.
Lisalala is correct. I am also an RN. Studies show that handgels will not substitute for correct handwashing with soap. I believe the standard time for efficient handwashing can be achieved by (believe it or not) singing the "Happy Birthday" song twice.
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Simple Hygene ESP HANDWASHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalala

Lisalala is correct. I am also an RN. Studies show that handgels will not substitute for correct handwashing with soap. I believe the standard time for efficient handwashing can be achieved by (believe it or not) singing the "Happy Birthday" song twice.
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Passenger

I am a certified nurses assitant and i have to agree that hand sanitizers is a quick fix but unluess your wash your hands figurously for 2 minutes and with soap and hot water you wont kill the germs dont get me wrong the hand sanitizers come in hand if you can tget to a sink quick but remember when you do to wash those hands. I am avid with this with my kids. Working in Nursing Homes I see lots of viruses and how they are carried so always wash those hands. Its best to safe then sorry.