Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Default Medication or Patch for seasickness

Hello,

This will be my first cruise, and although I never experience problems with motion sickness driving or flying, I want to be prepared. I have been reading this forum and it seems that Bonine is the medication of choice. I went to buy it yesterday, however, my pharmacist recommended the Patch instead. He said that it works much better. I don't know what to get. Should I get both?

I am 45 years old, however, last week my doctor put me on high blood pressure medication. Does anyone know about any contra-indications for Bonine or the patch while taking other medication?

Thank you for your help.

Eliane

Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Medication or Patch for seasickness

Hi - the patch works great for me with no side effects - it even saves me a whole lot of money when I cruise - Can't drink while wearing it lol. It did make my eyes a little red but that was it - and I get really sick if I don't wear it. I could even read in the car with it on. Check with your doctor about the drugs interactions though - just ot be on the safe side. Bonine - even the less-drowsy formula sends me right to sleep - for hours - so I don't take it any more.
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:43 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Medication or Patch for seasickness

My husband likes the patch-------you're not "supposed" to drink.... Definitely ask your doctor if it would be ok for you; it is a prescription so you'll need to talk to him anyway (at least, that's how it is in California). My teen boys and myself take the meclizine, as needed. Definitely on the first day, and then we go from there. On the last cruise, my older teen needed one every day, my younger son and myself only that first day.