CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   keeping insulin cold (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/296561-keeping-insulin-cold.html)

Reen June 18th, 2005 12:54 PM

keeping insulin cold

How do you keep your insulin cold on your cruise?

hazelson June 18th, 2005 03:10 PM

Re: keeping insulin cold

If your room has a fridge - get the room steward to empty out the contents and use the space. Barring that - maybe the ship's medcial facilities can store it for you. Good luck. TTFN Jennifer

cheza June 22nd, 2005 11:20 AM

If you don't have a fridge you could ask for some ice in a bucket & keep them in a small plastic container in the ice. I also have a frio cool bag (search in google for their email address) I've had mine years and it great for travelling. It has small crystals in and when placed in water (colder the water the better) they expand and the bag becomes like jelly, it keeps insulin cold for 48 hours. There are different sizes, I got the small one which was about 10 english pounds, but I remember originally I got the english contact address from a site in America, you may even get one on ebay, never looked to see if they are available on there. Failing that your pharmacy may know the address. Any problem let me know & I will see if I can find it again for you. Plus it has a duo purpose, if you have a hangover or too much sun, it opens out and you can place it on your head.

chez
:-)

ps it takes about 2 weeks to dry out when you get back home.

ollie5 September 18th, 2005 03:58 PM

Keep insulin cool by using item purchased on-line from coolerconcept.com. I bought an extra small and a small because they hold more vials than they advertise. You soak the container in water and the material inside swells and keeps cool. I bought one for my backup vials and one for the ones presently using.

designerdigs September 18th, 2005 11:17 PM

Most insulins do not require refrigeration. Most are quite stable after opened for 30 days at room temp. Read the package insert for specifics.

katlady May 12th, 2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reen
How do you keep your insulin cold on your cruise?

I have MS and need to keep my Avonex cold. I called the cruise line directly and filled out at medical form explaining my condition and requesting a fridge. They put a fridge in my room for no extra cost . This was on Princess and Carvinal cruises. My Celebrity room comes with a fridge so it's not needed. Don't forget to bring your sharps contanier for the needles. Hope that helps. :D

Fern May 12th, 2006 07:59 PM

katlady said:

Quote:

Don't forget to bring your sharps container for the needles.
Most cruiselines will provide sharps containers for you. Just check with Special Services to be sure! One less thing to carry :) !