Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Passenger

Default basic conditions that require some sort of treatment

we are traaveling with our entire family in a couple of monthes. we have kids of various ages in the group.. i was wondering about things like pink eye, which can be caught very easily in the pools. also things like what would happen if a child was exposed to chicken pox two weeks before someone leaves or even a week before and comes down with them on the cruise.? you might not know that they have been exposed to it. does the doctor on board have appropriate medications to treat these two things.?

what if the child pops up with an ear infection, which can be very painful. can the doctor on board detect this and treat it.? i was just wondering about these common things that can happen at anytime. what is the deal with payment for these services. i understand from others. , that they are astronomically expensive if you have to go to the infirmary on the ship. help me here please.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2005, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: basic conditions that require some sort of treatment

Hi kp,

Yes, the doctor on board can treat all the "basic" conditions that might happen.

And, yes, it is expensive!

Did you buy trip insurance for your cruise? I'd never leave home without it! The insurance will reimburse the doctor's charges for these "basic" problems or, heaven forbid, any major problems. For instance if a person had to be airlifted back home. It also covers the cost of the cruise if you can't go at the last minute, lost luggage, and lots of other things.

I buy mine through my TA, but I've seen lots of people post about insuremytrip.com, where you can check out the various polices and costs (I think-I've never looked at it).

Hope all of you have a wonderful and healthy cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Passenger

Insurance is an absolute 'must' (like stated above). However, each policy usually carries an excess. This means that you're not allowed to claim for the first (say) $80 of any treatment. The more excess you agree to - the lower the policy cost. This saves insurance companies having to deal with claims of a negligible amount ($10?) and also those that 'wipe out' the policy costs.

So, as you rightly ask, why not take some things with so that you don't have to visit the ship's doctor three times at a cost of $70 each time?

You probably know best what sort of things your family need protection against. Better still, try and avoid the need in the first place. Eg. My wife never takes high heels on a ship. We're extra careful in all that we do, because apart from the cost - the main loss following any accident (apart from the injury) is a ruined vacation for all. Nevertheless, taking some band aids and antiseptic together with whichever pain relief medication suits you best (Paracetomol, Aspirin, Ibuprofen?) is not a bad idea. With kids, just take a look at what you've bought most of at home in the past year and take a sensible selection of that.

You can be sure that the ship's doctor will make a tidy charge out of supplying anything minor - that will leave you groaning far worse......!!!!

Pete
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Admiral

the ships doctor is a qualified MD - he/she can handle all the basics and even some small emergencies. Definatley get insurance for everyone, your insurance will pay for most of your doctor expenses,with that being said, basically bring along a small first-aid kit with you: Bandaids, Neosporin, Antihistimine, Decongestant, small bottle of hand sanitizer, Antacid , Ibuprofen(works better than Tylenol for sunburn pain), Tylenol- if you can't take Ibuprofen, Bonine, anti-itch hydrocortisone cream, aloe burn gel, antiseptic wipes,