CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   Sea sickness vs. car sickness (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/302111-sea-sickness-vs-car-sickness.html)

erdooley October 7th, 2005 04:46 PM

Sea sickness vs. car sickness

I started getting car sickness about a year ago and had never had trouble before except maybe on high, curvy mountain roads. Had never had seasickness ever not even on rough seas in a small boat. But I haven't been on a boat in the last year since this all started. I've never been on a cruise ship. If I am prone to car sickness, am I predestined to be seasick too? I would think it would be a different kind of thing, as being in a car on a highway is vastly different from being on a floating hotel where you can walk around and stuff. We are going on an Alaskan Inside Passage cruise next May. Thanks for any advice. As far as remedies, I will try the ginger, as Bonine and Dramamine make me pass out.

hazelson October 8th, 2005 04:57 PM

I read an interesting article that associated motion sickness with menopause. Don't know if you are male or female - or what age you are but it might answer some questions if you are the right sex and age - if not - nevermind lol.

ttfn Jennifer

Fern October 8th, 2005 08:03 PM

You also might want to have your doctor check your ears. If you have an inner ear infection it might be causing your motion sickness :) .

LisaK October 20th, 2005 10:35 AM

doesn't matter if its plane, train, car, bus or ship, motion sickness is motion sickness. Its your equlibrium(inner ear) trying to adjust to the situation. If your motion sickness is mild you would have good results with the Seabands. It you motion sickness is severe you should ask your doctor about the patch.

Dorothy October 31st, 2005 08:57 PM

Does even non-drowsy BOnine make you sleepy?

Also, some folks swear by seabands. They certainly couldn't hurt..

dorothy

judysalyers November 15th, 2005 03:23 PM

I too suffer from car sickness...you almost wish you could just die!!!
I have been on 2 cruises and will also be going on the Carnival Spirit to Alaska in May 2006, and so far I have not had any sea sickness. I do take Antivert, twice a day. Car or sea sickness is caused by an inner ear inbalance. I would just about bet that this is your problem, and I think that inner ear problems are more common in some families. I know that my mother, aunt, grandmother, and myself all suffer from inner ear problems. We can't ride in the back seat of a car or heaven forbid read a book!
The only time I had any dizziness on a cruise, was when I was sitting near a window eating breakfast one morning. Got just a little queasy, but after I went up on deck in the fresh air, I was fine.
Talk to your physician and see if they will write you a pres. for Antivert. Take it a couple of days before your trip, and then while you're cruising, you should be fine.