Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Beginner

Default ginger for seasickness per "Mythbusters"

On a show called Mythbusters, they tested several treatments for seasickness, Ginger won hands down. Would anybody know what kind, how much or how effective Ginger has been for them? Would Ginger tea or some sort of Ginger pill/vitamin work??? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ginger is the way to go!

I believe the only problem with ginger is that it's a blood thinner. Not too good if one is alreay on blood thinners.

To answer your question - I usually carry a small zip lock bag with candied ginger (found in the spice section of any grocery store) and nibble on it whenever I start to feel queasy. Any type/form of ginger works to some degree (as long as you check the ingredients & it isn't just some sort of artificial flavoring )

We were going out whale watching in the gulf of Alaska and were seriously worried about getting sea sick. The lady at the B&B in Seward gave us a bag of the ginger and I've been using it ever since!! It came in real handy...by the way

Shar
Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Admiral

i am a firm believer in the Ginger remedy. You can take it in the form of crystalized candied ginger, gingersnap type cookies, you can buy it in a pill form on the vitamin aisle of most major drug stores, ginger-ale - as long as it contains ginger and not just flavor.
The key is to take it at the first sign of the queezies coming on. What i do is have a glass of ginger-ale at sail-away that i just sip on, DH is so well trained, i don't even have to ask him, it appears in my hand on our balcony at sail-away.
I don't know the science behind it, but i am sure that the MythBusters do. All i know is that it works for me.
Old December 27th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

My husband always has a day where he is queasy. In October we went on a 13 night ,during hurricane season. I went to GNC and purchased ginger pills. He took 2 a day when we first boarded the ship. He wasn't sick at all, and we had some pretty rough water to sail through. So now he and I are firm believers in the ginger pills, and there are no side effects with them.
Old January 21st, 2006, 09:59 PM
Passenger

I know a prior poster asked, so I wanted to reply. The reason that its believed that ginger works so well is because its chemical structure is very close to a medication called compazine which has been used for a long time for cancer and post operative patients for nausea.....
Most medications that are avalible either over the counter, or as a prescription have a similar herb or natural rememdy. However, never switch from a prescription to an herb without talking to your doctor first.

Kim
(glad I paid attention in pharmamcology)