Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Shellfish allergies?

My son has recently developed shellfish allergies.

We've got a game plan set-up (thanks to his big sis) for lobster night, but I'm wondering how clearly items containing shellfish are marked.

Thanks for any thoughts or advise.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Be sure to tell your waiter the first night at dinner. The buffets normally have everything marked as to what it is. If you have any doubts whatsoever, I would ask.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Passenger

Do you need to tell your travel agent when booking about allergies?
Old March 10th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned so I can give some fedback regarding how this was handled.

We contacted our cruiseline (Carnival) and let them know our allergy concern. I was transferred to special services and given some information and a form to fill out.

Once the form was completed, I received a call from special services regarding our arrangements. We were able to secure a table for just our family. My son's meals were made by a specific chef to eliminate all risk of cross contamination. On the heavy seafood nights (the two formal nights) my son opted to stay out of the dining room. Our waiter arranged to have filet minogn (sp?) sent to him each time.

They were able to fully meet our needs regarding this allergy and I won't be as worried about it on future cruises. Calling the cruiseline upfront to find out what can be done is the best first step.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Passenger

I have severe shellfish allergies (plus several other foods) and took all of the previously mentioned steps (e-mailing the cruise line, speaking to our waiter and the head waiter). I also got a double prescription for Epi-Pens, and my doctor recommended carrying a large bottle of Benadryl.

Our head waiter was very concerned about me, and would ask what I had ordered each night. He explained to me that the shellfish is prepared separately from the meats and poultry.

In spite of all of this, I did have what may have been a shellfish reaction on shellfish night ~ it could have been an allergy to some other food. I'm hypersensitive to a few foods and perhaps there was a fingerprint or something on my plate, or it could have been a spice that set me off.

FORTUNATELY, I had Benadryl with me and I took two immediately, then drank about 2 glasses of water. I pulled my Epi-Pens out and kept them right beside me for about an hour, until the Benadryl kicked in and my airways cleared up.

Maybe I'm over cautious, but if your son's allergy is severe, I suggest you carry some benadryl (or something else recommended by your doctor) and an epi-pen with you on the night of the shellfish dinner. Yes, there is a sickbay, but it's better to know you have something with you and be able to act quickly if necessary.

Hope I didn't scare you ... I really was fine (except for having a great night's sleep with all that Benadryl), and we don't know for sure that the allergy was to the iodines in shellfish.

Have a great cruise!
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Passenger

i too have a severe shellfish allergy (i carry an epi pen everywhere with me). i've always known about the allergy but didn't know of the severity until this year and haven't cruised since i've leanred that i have to carry an epi- pen with me all the time. anyway, long story short, i've never had a problem in the dining room - i just never order anything with any shellfish and i'm fine. i have more of a problem at longhorn or golden corral or something like that from cross contamination and i do take benadryl everywhere i go along with my epi pen. usually, all i need is the benadryl though. you may, like the other poster said, get a double perscription of your epi pen, also get some benadryl, and my doctor has prescribed me a medrol dose pack in case of a reaction, so i have that filled also. and in case of a reaction, you can go to sick bay, but you'll want the epi pen handy to use first or on the way.
RCCL - Freedom of the seas - Western Caribbean 2006
RCCL - Mariner of the seas - Western Caribbean 2005
RCCL - Enchantment of the seas - Western Caribbean 2004
RCCL - Explorer of the seas - Eastern Caribbean 2004

I'm finally a platinum C&A!
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Admiral

My primary care doc out in LA went on a cruise. His wife, who had never had an allergic reaction, had one to a shrimp dinner. He said that the ship's doctor did everything that needed doing and did it well. He was very impressed. And relieved. Hope this lets you sail with a little less concern.
Marty
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Admiral

You are not overly cautious, Bunch, Epi-Pens, and a large bottle of Benadryl are wise. Potential reaction can be quite severe and the reactions tend to get stronger. Don't take a chance and don't leave anyone alone if an allergic reaction has started.

BTW, keep such in your carryon luggage and check accepable bottle size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunch
I have severe shellfish allergies (plus several other foods) and took all of the previously mentioned steps (e-mailing the cruise line, speaking to our waiter and the head waiter). I also got a double prescription for Epi-Pens, and my doctor recommended carrying a large bottle of Benadryl.

Our head waiter was very concerned about me, and would ask what I had ordered each night. He explained to me that the shellfish is prepared separately from the meats and poultry.

In spite of all of this, I did have what may have been a shellfish reaction on shellfish night ~ it could have been an allergy to some other food. I'm hypersensitive to a few foods and perhaps there was a fingerprint or something on my plate, or it could have been a spice that set me off.

FORTUNATELY, I had Benadryl with me and I took two immediately, then drank about 2 glasses of water. I pulled my Epi-Pens out and kept them right beside me for about an hour, until the Benadryl kicked in and my airways cleared up.

Maybe I'm over cautious, but if your son's allergy is severe, I suggest you carry some benadryl (or something else recommended by your doctor) and an epi-pen with you on the night of the shellfish dinner. Yes, there is a sickbay, but it's better to know you have something with you and be able to act quickly if necessary.

Hope I didn't scare you ... I really was fine (except for having a great night's sleep with all that Benadryl), and we don't know for sure that the allergy was to the iodines in shellfish.

Have a great cruise!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Beginner

I have airborne anaphalaxis (sp) to shellfish. I cannot be in an area where there is boiled shellfish (i.e. pasta with shellfish in it, shrimp cocktail, etc). How would I even be able to take a cruise when there are so many tables upon tables I'm sure of shrimp cocktail, etc.

I do fine being around it if it if fried, but other than that I do not do well.

I have had countless run-ins at restaurants with this problem and have had to leave.

My husband and I want to take a cruise for our ten year anniversary but I am afraid to do the trip because of this problem.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Tough situation. You could possibly book a balcony room and just do room service as one solution or stick to a pay-per-seat specialty restaurant on some ships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piddies
I have airborne anaphalaxis (sp) to shellfish. I cannot be in an area where there is boiled shellfish (i.e. pasta with shellfish in it, shrimp cocktail, etc). How would I even be able to take a cruise when there are so many tables upon tables I'm sure of shrimp cocktail, etc.

I do fine being around it if it if fried, but other than that I do not do well.

I have had countless run-ins at restaurants with this problem and have had to leave.

My husband and I want to take a cruise for our ten year anniversary but I am afraid to do the trip because of this problem.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Piddies,
Call one or more of the cruise lines directly and ask if there is a way around this, like the special room service mentioned by one poster. There probably will be nights when no shellfish is being served in the dining room. Much to my DH's dismay, shrimp cocktails and lobster are NOT on every night's menu.
Good luck!
Marty