Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Default Patch withdrawal symptoms -- same symptoms from Bonine?

I get motion sick very easily, always have ... always will. Doesn't matter if its a car, plane, boat, roller coaster, or merry-go-round. My first cruise was in the late 70s on Carnival's Mardi Gras. It was not pleasant ... until I got a shot from the ship's doctor. Again in the early 80s, I wore a patch ... it worked great but I remember now having some post-cruise side effects. I thought at the time it was just that, but now believe it was from the patch because this past summer we cruised again (it took my husband 20 years to convince me to get back on a ship ... he said I'd hardly notice the motion with all the new technology). After talking with my doctor, I wore the patch again. It worked great while on the cruise but 24 hours after I removed it (several days AFTER the cruise), I was sick as a dog and the room wouldn't stop spinning! My doctor sent out Meclizine which helped but it took several days to get back to normal. I read in the patch literature that "some patients will suffer post-removal withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, etc." Well, that was me.

My question is this ... for someone who definitely NEEDS some sort of motion sickness precaution, would Bonine work just as well, without the withdrawal symptoms? I always take Dramamine when flying, but it causes such extreme fatigue. We're cruising again this summer ... on the FREEDOM OF THE SEAS. I'm bound and determined not to let these problems keep me from traveling ... but I would like to take something that doesn't cause such severe side effects/withdrawal effects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Stopping Bonine, which incidentally is meclizine, will not cause the same post cessation symptoms as removing the patch. Indeed, as you pointed out it was prescribed to relieve the symptoms caused by the patch.

We take Bonine along and when we get into extremely rough seas we will take some, but we are not really prone to motion sickness. We used the patch only once, for our first cruise on a small windjammer. After we got home, we were both dizzy for a week! I know that bonine is very effective, but for severe cases like yours, I doubt if it is as effective as the patch, which is very strong and very dangerous medicine. Maybe you could use the patch, and use bonine to get over the patch

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Default antinausea meds

There are long acting antinausea meds on the market that your physician can prescribe. These meds tend to have fewer side effects associated with them. It is always a good idea to wean yourself off medications instead of stopping them instantly.
We did not suffer from seasickness but I do remember having nausea and dizziness after the cruise (and when we stepped on land DURING the cruise) for a week.
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Default after cruise blahs

We just ended our our honeymoon cruise on Saturday and had a wonderful time; however, it's now Tuesday and I am still very very dizzy. I took Bonine every day on the cruise, so I guess they haven't figured out how to solve the post cruise dizzies!
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Admiral

You may just be having trouble getting your land legs back. Bonine generally does not cause that effect for most people, it's the patch that does that. Indeed, bonine is sometimes prescribed to stop post patch removal dizziness (see the previous posts on this thread).

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Admiral

richstacy said:

Quote:
You may just be having trouble getting your land legs back. Bonine generally does not cause that effect for most people, it's the patch that does that. Indeed, Bonine is sometimes prescribed to stop post patch removal dizziness (see the previous posts on this thread).
This is exactly what we've found. We always take Bonine with us, but have never had to use it. The patch is very much stronger! It can cause lot's of extra problems (dry eyes, sleepiness, sleeplessness; you can't drink much (may not be important to you 8), etc. )

IMO, many people use the patch or take Bonine or some other "seasick" meds and they really don't need them. Personally, we love the slight motion of the ship. It's some of the best sleep I ever get!

If you really NEED something (as the OP said, with motion sickness no matter WHAT the motion ), try the Bonine first. You can also try ginger (ginger ale, cookies, pills, etc.) If that doesn't work you can use the patch.

I've always had the post cruise dizziness. I'm able to "overcome" this, but if you've been using the patch, try Bonine to "wean" yourself off the patch.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Fern everything you said 100%

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Passenger

The patch is very effective but can cause some vision problems - most notable difficulty reading. Coming off it can be a problem but can be prevented (or at least lessened tremendously) by leaving that last patch on for several more days. The worst thing you can do is to replace it every 3 days for a week and then take it off (especially a fresh patch) as you get off the ship. Just leave it on for awhile and let the patch wean you as it slowly runs out of medication.
The wobbly legs thing can be unrelated. Our first cruise - with no meds - we all felt like we were on the boat for another week.
Majesty of the Seas 4/05
Disney Magic 8/04
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Passenger

OK, I'm the original poster in this thread. We just returned from the Freedom of the Seas. It was awesome.

I took Bonine -- it worked great. I took one tablet in the morning w/ breakfast and one tablet at bedtime. We had really rough seas one night (60 mph cross-winds, no rain). It took everyone by surprise. I heard that 1/2 the ship was ill that night, but not me ....

I stayed on the Bonine for several days post-cruise to get my land legs back. By Wednesday post-cruise I didn't need it anymore.
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Admiral

loves all travel, Bonine does work. but I have a question for you? are you sure you actually needed it? How do you think you would have done without it?

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Admiral

LovesallTravel- that's great that the Bonnine worked for you! Next cruise you will be able to take less, or take it as needed.