Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Beginner

Default Seasickness on the Inside Passage?

Husband and I just booked an NCL cruise next year, and I had a friend tell me that she was terribly seasick during her cruise to Alaska. Has anyone else experienced this? I would think that since the waters are protected that it would be fine, but I am concerned enough to ask.....Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife

Brooke, I didn't even get slightly queasy on our Alaska cruise...one night the ship was rocking side to side pretty good too! But if you're going on NCL, the ship is big enough to handle anything but a big storm.

Our friends went on HAL in May (smaller ship) and the woman said that one night it was there was too much motion to watch the movie, but that it didn't bother her moving about the ship.

Becky
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Seasickness varies greatly from one person to another. A slight motion may cause one person to become ill while the vast majority of people are completely unaffected.

Actually, on today's cruise ships a relatively small number of people become seasick on an average seven day cruise.

You can take preventative, OTC, medications such as; Bonine (Meclizine), Dramamine, prescription scopolomine, to help in avoiding to become seasick or you can try ginger to sooth your stomach once you become ill. Or you can go out on deck, get some fresh air, look at the horizon and see if that helps. It usually does. If none of those helps, there is the magic $80 shot from the doctor in the infirmary.

Most of the seasickness medications can cause drowsiness so it is always best to consult your doctor before taking any medication.

Go ahead and go on the cruise and don't worry about seasickness. If you aren't prone to motion sickness you probably have nothing to worry about. Nothing is more likely to happen than something you think will happen.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Sailed on Celebrity Summit to Alaska Aug 2006. The waters were very choppy, esp every night beginning at dinner time. Could hardly walk in hallways. Last night could barely pack. Empty hangars were banging in closet due to choppiness. You are only in the inside passage the first half of the way up from vancouver. the last half you are out in the ocean.
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM
Beginner

I'm glad to see apost on this. Ive never been on a cruise before. Everyone in my family gets motion sickness including me. My dad went on a cruise before he said he was really sick.He is worse than me though. He told me I was probably going to be sick most of the time. It has been like 15 years since he cruised. I told him they have made alot of advances. I hope I was right.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Passenger

I have been to Alaska twice. Once on the Regal Princess and on the Dawn Princess. Both times their were about 3 out of 7 days that I got seasick and I did have the scopolomine patch on. So if you do tend to get motion sick then I would really recommend chosing a room that is on a lower deck and to as close as midship as you can get, because the higher up your room is the more movement you feel. Also the farther back or forward parts of the ship is more movement. You can also get a really good perscription seasick medicine at the Medical Center on the ship which is a UK drug and costs about $10 for 10 pills. I just got back from the Panama Canal cruise a few weeks ago and got that medicine from the Medical Center and it worked for me better than the patch.

Also now that allot of the ships are newer and bigger they have better stabilizers and so you do not feel as much movement as with the older ships. I have found that in Alaska that the first and last day when sailing the inside passage you feel the most movement.

Also if you are feeling seasick I have also found out that going out on deck for some fresh air and looking at the horizon like Mike has said has really helped me.

Alaska is a very beautiful cruise and very worth seeing and I plan on probably going back sometime in the future for a 3rd time.

Take care,
Debbie